“Manager does not care about guests, workers, or facility.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Columbus State University
Ranked #34 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Savannah, Georgia
“Manager does not care about guests, workers, or facility.”
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Safety in not a concern of this facility.........We, four chaperones and a student, got stuck in the elevator for over 20 minutes without air conditioning for about 10-15. No one answered when we used the elevator phone to call zero. Apparently, the front desk clerk was the only person working the night and tried to get us out with a key. I am SEVERELY clautrophobic and begged for her to call 911 or firefighers. Another guest, an "Army" guy, some how got the elevator working. Thank God all of us were okay, but I did hyperventilate and had to run to my room to get sick from the nausea.

No one at the motel checked on us, nor offered an apology, until I called to ask for clarification with the procedure. The front desk clerk did apologize, seemed to try her best to get all of our rooms comped, and get the manager to call us. HOWEVER, it's been two days later and we haven't even heard from the manager (who was suppose to call me on yesterday). One room was comped (mine), but we had to explain to a chaperone (not employed by the school system) and a parent about the motel's inability to have a plan in place to get us out quickly. When the front desk clerk's key failed, she should have called 911 IMMEDIATELY, especially when it was stressed that one of the occupants had a prior problem with close spaces.

Over twenty minutes may not seem like a long time, but when you' suffer from severe clautrophbia, it seems like hours.

Also, tornado warning drills were going off throughout the night, and once again, no acknowledgement or suggestions were offered by the hotel. I felt very unsafe staying at this hotel. It appears they ONLY care about the money and not the safety of guests.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank verymad41511

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Pelzer, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 April 2011

My best friends husband is an officer based at Ft. Benning and they just had a baby so we went and spent the weekend there to visit. The hotel was nice but the first turn off is there is NO late check in you have to check in by 6 PM. We rushed to check in then went back to my friend. When we went back that evening it was super creepy. There were women walking around with no shoes on and clothes in a grocery bag, they looked strung out. There were guys walking around the parking lot just staring at us, it was just e and my mom and we were freaked out. We made it up to our room and when my mom closed the curtains she noticed that the windows were sliding windows and the screens had been removed before, we were on teh second floor. It was sooo loud, we were right beside the stair case, room 201. People were running up and down the stair case all night long slamming the doors. We were also on the back side and there was a dumpster back there. There were a bunch of people back there and they were hollering and making noise ALL night long. We weren't sure who it was so we were scared to say anything. We slept about 30 minutes at a time before they would wake us up again. Come to find out when we went down stairs it was military personnel that had kept us up all night. I understand that they were celebrating because they had a pass for the weekend that they were getting paid but it was completely disrespectful and the hotel did nothing to stop it at all! The management just apologized the next morning and said that they didn't hear anything, but it wasn't the same woman that worked the night before. Word to the wise, be prepared!

Room Tip: Let them know if you are retired military!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Columbus hotels

Bryson City, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 August 2010

This hotel was very nice, newly updated, very good value, pet friendly with no extra charge, staff very friendly and helpful. We needed a late check-out due to attending a funeral and were accommodated. The room was quite large. I had trouble connecting to their internet (my fault) and they called tech support who walked me through, no charge. Our only complaint was the A/C. The weather was very hot but the A/C has a sensor which turns the A/C off when no one is in the room. Therefore, when we went out and returned a few hours later looking forward to a cool room, it was hot. Took over an hour to cool down just to bearable and longer to be comfortable. Otherwise, great place!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Central Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 July 2010

GROSS is the only word to describe it. We had a chicken wing in the air conditioner vent and it took an entire day until someone cleaned it up! The pool was the size of a kiddie pool and had algea in it.

• Stayed August 2010
Englewood, Florida
Reviewed 24 June 2010

We stayed here for two nights while visiting the Columbus area. The outside and entry area were typical older motel so we were shocked when we saw our room--big and beautiful, obviously redone. Internet worked great most of the time. Basic breakfast whcih we skipped on the second day. The one negative here is traffic noise--be sure to ask for a room away from the highway! We kept our fan on all night for the second night which helped tremendously.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kglen1
USA
Reviewed 29 December 2009

Not much to look at from the outside and the surrounding area is not so pretty but the room and stay at La Quinta was surprisingly great. The rooms have been recently remodeled with an eye toward modern and hip. The minimalist vibe, faux-wood floors, light-blocking shades, and large flat screen TV were easy on the eyes. Firm mattress, crisp sheets, spotless room, free WiFi and buffet breakfast made this one of the best stays for the price I've had in my many Columbus visits.

I will definitely return.

PS -- Unlike some previous posters, I didn't pick up any animal smells.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Gerard B
Opa-Locka, Florida
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We stayed at this La Quinta location for 1 night while traveling back home after our vacation. Our hotel room looked like it had been recently renovated and was absolutely immaculate! We had our little dog with us and really appreciate the fact that La Quinta does not charge an additional pet fee. When we got to our room at about 10:00pm, there was very loud screaming and yelling from one of the rooms right next to ours and also directly across from ours. The young men in these rooms kept going in from one room to the other over and over again, each time slamming their doors. They were being extremely loud in both their rooms and out in the hall as well. The large mirror on our wall constantly shook. I have no clue what was going on in there. All the commotion was wigging our dog out too and she would not stop barking. I called the front desk within 30 minutes of arriving and the very nice young lady who checked us in IMMEDIATELY walked up to our floor and spoke to the people staying in those rooms. She told them that she had received a complaint from one of their other guests and that they would be asked to leave the property immediately if this behavior continued. She then came to our room and asked if we would like to be moved to a different room on a different floor. This is after she apologized over and over and assured me that La Quinta does not stand for this behavior from any of their guests. Once she walked us to our new room, she asked that I please bring down the keys to the first room when I had a chance,. When I went down to the lobby to do just that, there had been a shift change at 11:00pm and the man who was now there informed me that he had asked the people in all those rooms to leave their property. I felt a little bad that they had been asked to leave as this was not my intention. He then explained to me that La Quinta had zero tolerance for this kind of behavior. He further explained to me that they want to make sure that all their guests are nothing but happy with their stay at their hotel. Needless to say, I was VERY impressed. Do not hesitate to stay here. I highly recoomend it. You will be treated as you are a HIGHLY valued customer. Thank you La Quinta!

• Stayed August 2009