Columbus Marriott
US$73
US$68
US$114
US$109
Best Western Plus Columbus/ Ft. Benning(Columbus)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$84
Travelocity
US$137
US$132
All reviewsthe concierge loungeold millgrist millconvention centerthe river walkhistoric downtownhoulihan's restaurantchattahoochee riverwithin walking distancefront desk stafflocation is greathotel lobbylight sleeperhotel is beautifulup to dateexcellent customer servicethe entire staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 November 2009

Columbus is a great town and the River District is fun to explore. The Columbus Marriott is a good homebase for shopping, walking tours and events at the beautiful RiverCenter.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Our stay at the Mariott was *OK*. We were put up at the Mariott during a house hunting trip for my husband's new job, so fortunately, we didn't have to pay...but if we were paying I would have insisted on another hotel that didn't nickel and dime everything. First off, the wi-fi was not free (even hospitals have free wi-fi now...this was the first place I had stayed in three years that didn't). There was also a charge for the daily paper which unless you look very closely at the invoice, you could miss! At every other hotel, morning papers are "complementary". I realize that doesn't mean it is free...that it would be built into the room price somehow- but honestly, the Mariott is one of the most expensive hotels in the city, so why can they not add the price of wi-fi and the morning paper into the price of the room? We went to the hotel's restaurant- Houlihan's- late one night, but it was still an hour before close and there was only one waiter.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Frenchpoodlemom
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I just left a review here in June, but this past weekend I had to attend an event at the RiverCenter for work and this property is the closest hotel to the RiverCenter so I decided to once again book a room. Once again I paid $110 for the room, and again I appreciated the free parking and the lobby area of the hotel. A wedding was taking place and the lobby area was festive, check-in was quick and they honored my request for a room on a high floor.
Upon opening the door I was once again greeted with a strong odor but this time the smell was more moldy than deoderizer.
Same layout with large bedroom and tiny bathroom.
I ordered room service and this time when I gave my omelette order I said, "The menu lists choice of bagel, toast or muffin and I would like wheat toast" and the person answering repeated it back to me. However, when the meal arrived there was no toast. By the time the breakfast arrived I had discovered that the hair dryer in the room would not work so I had called maintenance. A man appeared at the door with a new hair dryer. I told him I had hit the reset button and had been unsuccessful in getting the dryer to start. he then hit the reset button of a nearby electrical outlet (there was no cord from the dryer to the outlet so there was no connection that I could see) and the dryer started and he started laughing. "Here is the reset button--your dryer is fine." I still don't know how I would have known to push the button on that outlet as opposed to the reset button on the dryer itself, but nonetheless I hurriedly ate my breakfast without the toast and did not take time to complain to the kitchen about the lack of toast.
I had also spent Friday night in another Marriott property and had ordered a similar breakfast. At the other property my omelette arrived with toast and lots of jellies and butter. The plate was adorned with a pretty strawberry sliced as a decorative element.
Room service at the Columbus Marriott in my experience is bare bones.
As another poster has already said, the difference in this property is in the details--there just is not a lot of attention to detail here.
When I checked out I did not have any problems, but I did hear the person sneeze and cough in the adjoining room just as I heard hallway conversations on the previous visit.
This is the only property of this type that I know if in the Columbus area. Most others are located on highways away from downtown and are Fairfields, Courtyards, Hampton Inns, etc.
After my last visit I did not receive the survey I typically receive when I stay in a Marriott.
I would recommend this hotel only to someone who had a compelling resson to be close to the RiverCenter or Springer Opera House. Otherwise I would recommend trying another location. I know the next time I have to travel to Columbus I am going to look for anotehr spot.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank BeingGreen
Reviewed 13 August 2009

I have very mixed feelings about my experience at the Columbus Marriot.

My first impression was excellent. I loved driving over cobble-stone streets past historic houses to reach the hotel. Ample parking was available and I was greeted promptly by a friendly doorman, smiling and welcoming in his crisp uniform. The lobby, a repurposed historical structure, is a very special treat; well-decorated with lots of natural light and soaring space. The desk clerk was personable and smiling, very polite and provided prompt check-in.

The rooms are a descent size and generally well-appointed. Large windows welcome the visitor to take in views of old brick buildings and magnolia-shaded parkways. The Bath & Body works toiletries are a fresh and modern option and the renovated shower and shower head make for a pleasant start to the day. The beds, pillows and duvets provide a comfortable night’s rest. I simply love the Marriot, hotel-wide no smoking policy.

The devil, however, is in the details at this hotel. Look closer / stay longer and the façade begins cracking.

The somewhat recently remodeled bathrooms are already in need of some capital investment. The initial renovation skipped replacement of the bathroom floor tiles; the result is a worn, outdated floor out of synch with the otherwise modernized bathroom. One candelabra-style sconce (light fixture) is about to fall off the wall, hanging on apparently only by the electric wire and the wall paper. The toilet paper holder also seems to be barely hanging on.

While the room overall is clean and well-stocked, thick dust-bunnies (including not just dust but also debris such as bottle caps) are growing behind the night stands and TV cabinet. Housekeeping management could remedy this simply and affordably by dispatching workers once a month during a slow period to vacuum behind and under furniture. On another housekeeping note, despite being out of my room from 8:30 AM until 1:00 PM for business meetings, my room was never made up, which I find striking for a hotel in this class.

Finally, I had an unfortunate experience with room service. Using the door knob hang-card menu, I scheduled breakfast to be delivered between 7:00 AM and 7:15 AM. I was in the shower shortly after 6:00 AM when there was a knock at my door announcing “Room Service!” Willing to assume I had made an error in marking when I would like my food delivered out of exhaustion the night before, I jumped out of the shower, got myself decent and answered the door. It turns out the waiter went the wrong room at the wrong time with the wrong food. Accidents happen and I’m mostly willing to just turn my head and ignore this mix-up; however, I might not have found the 6:10 AM visit as humorous if I had arrived late the night before and needed to catch up on sleep. Coming full circle, it’s important to note that my correct order was in fact delivered at the correct time as originally scheduled.

A few other notes about overall neighborhood atmosphere are important to share with travelers considering this hotel. One is a note on train noise: A very loud train rumbles and blows its horn through town, right next to the hotel, at the worst possible hours of the night. The hotel seems to have put in place minimal sound proofing to avoid this train being a disruption to guests. On another note, upon returning from a client dinner around 9:30 PM, a police officer pulled over a vehicle right in front of the hotel lobby and called for backup; Backup arrives, and right in front of our eyes we had a seen right out of “COPS.” From our parked vehicle, we had to carefully pick our way past the “entertainment” to reach the hotel lobby. I understand this even could not possibly fall under the control of the Columbus Marriot hotel management, but it nonetheless spoke volumes about the area immediately surrounding the hotel.

Would I stay here again? Would I recommend this hotel to a friend or colleague? Yes, of course. But these chinks in the armor of the Columbus Marriot mean I would do so out of resignation and not out of enthusiasm. This hotel has a lot of potential: Attached to a colorful historic structure; friendly, smiling professional staff; neat historical location near the river. Now, the management just needs to tie up the loose ends and perfect the service & experience delivery.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank COLadyRoadWarrior
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I REALLY love the bed in this hotel. It is the Marriot's signature line and it is to die for. The staff was unbelieveably friendly right down to housekeeping; they always wanted to know what they could to do improve our stay. I do have a few issues with this hotel:

1) The exercise "room" is the size of a large closet and has no ventilation. It was impossible to do even a 30 minute workout without passing out. There wasn't even a fan in site and the the door to the pool is through this room so you are constantly interrupted by pool-soaked families.

2) There were quite a few stains on our carpet and several burns. They really need to upgrade their rooms, they are showing wear and tear.

3) The insulation is not very good in the walls. We were awakened several nights in a row by the amorous sounds of our neighbors!

All in all, I would stay here again if the price were what I paid this time ($110). I do wish they extended some kind of military rate on the weekend, but it goes up to full price. We slept well for the most part, enjoyed the spotlessly clean pool, and were pretty much uninterrupted by the staff.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple