“Need to upgrade certain items and monthly payment issues”

Value Place Columbus Bldg. 1
Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Columbus, Georgia
“Need to upgrade certain items and monthly payment issues”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

First the internet is not wireless. most places have wireless but this place. Need to upgrade. The rooms are good enough for someone like myself who is stationed here and needed some place cheap to stay for a year before I go home for good. Everywhere else say you would pay less for the rooms but you end up paying for utilities which ends up being more. Watch out for fees on things you are not recieveing i.e. linen pick up etc. Payments are my issue. Military Pay is once a month or twice a month and its always on the 1st or 15th. Monthly payments for the hotel are every 28 days to the day so you may pay on the 1st but the next time you pay will be on the 28th then the 25th then the 22nd and so on until it gets to the middle of the month. Some people have set days to pay bills and this would disrupt the flow of bill payment. Besides some of the riff raff that come to the place causing trouble the place is bearable but I would not advise staying for a long period. TVs are being upgraded to flat screens finally.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Marc D
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at Value Place Columbus Bldg. 1, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you for your review. We always take our guest feedback very seriously. We are in the process of converting all our properties to WiFi. We hope that you will consider staying with us again when you find yourself in need of a place to stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I am staying at the value place and this will be my last week due to the property manager Cindy. When I first checked in I meet someone working there by the name of Stacey which is a pleasure to deal with and one of the reason I am still there. I checked in a room that had not been checked at all. There were at least 15 roaches in that room, On the walls under the cabinet in the fridge. Can you say nasty. Anywho for the fact that mrs stacey was pleasant she moved me and I was ok with that. I have walked past the front desk plenty of times and stacey spoke when she was working but the property manager not once open her mouth. I would have never known who she was until she said that she need to speak with me when i was done with the police. I had someone staying with me with a mental illness and I had to call the police because she was trying to kill her self. Well after that was over i went to the front desk and she told me that this had to be my last week due to the police coming out. Not hello I am who ever she wants to be but you have to get out. The way that I am being treated is very unprofessional and I would never stay at another value place because of this lady and the way she handles her guest. I have yet to get and apology. Thank you Stacey for all your help you are a pleasure

Room Tip: Hope the property manager is not around and hopefully you will not have to run in to her. I have yet...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Trina23R
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

The new employees at front desk were very helpful and friendly. Maintenance man was excellent! Every request was attended to. I have stayed for six months and they have great rates and very clean facilities.

• Stayed November 2013
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at Value Place Columbus Bldg. 1, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope that you enjoyed the new mattresses and large flat screen TVs. Please consider Value Place again in your travels.
Columbus,GA
Reviewed 6 September 2013

So far it's ok EXCEPT the "fast internet" BLOWS. It is a cat5 cable to the wall and I get like .025 kbps download and .0005 kbps upload. So NO WI-FI which means NO TABLETS/PHONE or laptops without a ethernet (cable) connection and it is SLOWER than 1X on a cell phone back in the early 90's and dialup (from the 80's) would be 50 times faster. They probably have just 1 ADSL line (probably 1Mbps) to share between every unit in both buildings (and there are 2, the one in the back is like 3 years old, so it's newer). They will nickle-dime you as in, don't plan on ever making a phone call from here...it's $0.30 a MINUTE, so use your cell (if you have anything other than Verizon you are [--] for service anywhere in the mountains of George/Alabama. Sprint blows and any roaming on them sucks too. AT&T is a joke here also and T-Mo/MetroPCS is like having NO CELL PHONE. Linen service, if you are going to stay more than one week go buy towels from Walmart and wash them so you save $10/week in 'Linen" charges. Anyway, it's OK here BUT there is only 1 elevator in the center of the building, but it's fast enough. The noise, as far as I can tell, has been minimal. Police have shown up a few times because some people here use this like a permanent apartment and not short-term housing, so the usual things happen. This is NOT a major city here, so EXPECT some short comings if you are used to things open 24/7 and the faster city life. They say they are going to upgrade the internet connection soon....ok, believe when I see it then I'll pay for it. TV channels are ok but you are NOT getting HBO1,2,3 or Cinemax/Showtime, you'll get Encore East/West, so still ok. For the price it's ok. Laundry facilities onsite at $1.25 wash/$1.00 dry so get quarters because there is no change machine. It's got a full size (18 cu ft) fridge, 1 cu ft micro, 2 burner stove, kitchen sink, full bath room, beds are ok. It's NOT going to be the Hilton at Downtown Disney (which cost me $150/night) in Orlando but for single working out of town, price is good. I will put some pictures up eventually because the 'staged' photos of hotels always make them look better than what is really there (and within the last 3 months). Have not had any bugs,etc. so pretty clean over all. Just need to see faster internet so I can stream netflix or something (can get Skype to work on the slower speed but that's different than surfin the net as far as network protocol is concerned in the ip stack,etc - if your non-techy then just understand it will Skype right now).
I am not dissin' this place, it's NOT run like a hotel but like a apartment building, so understand the "front desk" is open M-F 9a-6p and Sat 10a-2p and closed on Sundays, but some of the people who work here also live in the building, which is good. You will NOT be getting a made bed everyday or clean sheets/towels everyday, it's not again, the Hilton or DoubleTree. But in the end it's ok. In the end you get what you pay for and if you want that kind of service then it will cost more. I am brutally honest and have a problem of pissing people off when I tell my outlook on things but I am telling it the way I see it. So if the internet is upgraded while I am still here then I'll say it's a 3.5-4 stars out of 5 BUT right now it's like a 2.5 star. They do have flat screen tv's so you can hook your laptop to the HDMI port and watch Netflix on the tv.........WHENEVER the internet is faster...hahaha. Oh and this, if you are staying here you have to pay a $100 upfront deposit, give 24 hours notice BEFORE you leave to get your refund back and you pay by the week, so if you leave after 3 days, you will NOT get a refund because they charge by the week (or month) and not daily.
Understand this is short term (or long term with no credit check and no lease) and NOT a daily hotel.
Have fun.......

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at Value Place Columbus Bldg. 1, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thank you for your feedback. You are right, you were brutally honest but that's okay. We appreciate honest feedback. We know that right now the internet speed leaves a little to be desired. We are in the process of updating the internet and getting WiFi at most of our properties, including Columbus. We hope that the next time you stay with us we will have the upgraded internet.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I would like to thank you for such agood hospitality. Especiaaly i would like to than your esteem worker Natasha, she is very curteuos, professional, and pleasure to deal with. I am highly reccomend this hotel to all my soldiers and collegues who will come for training in the next half year to Ft. Benning. I also would like you nto know that Natasha is an asset to your Hotel, if she was my worker i would definitely promotes her. Thanks again
CPT. Amar

Room Tip: 2nd floor room are more quite than first floor. Do not reccomend 3rd Fl, unless you are a smoker.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Raziel A
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at Value Place Columbus Bldg. 1, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Thank you for your feedback! We are very excited that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your experience is what we strive to show every guest when they choose Value Place. We hope to see you again in the future and thank you for all the recommendations!
Normal, IL
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Floors were very dirty. My 4 year old likes to run around bare foot, and her feet were black... But, nice bathrooms and nice appliances, Wish we could have a little bit more counter space... I didnt really enjoy that EVERYTHING costed extra.... Towels, Internet, Housekeping.... It advertises 219.99 a week, but it ends up being really about 290 to include everything... The hallways always smelt like pot, and with small children I didn't like that. Staff was friendly, but this property is geared towards making a profit, not really towards service...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Amanda c
Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate it when our guests let us know how their stay was. We are glad that we were able to meet your needs and we have addressed all of your concerns with our staff. We hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We had made reservation through their website and had a confirmation number. We called the local telephone number the day before to let them know that we would be arriving at 3pm the next day. When we arrived the very pleasant woman told me that they had sold our room that morning!! She went on to explain having a reservation with a confirmation number didn't matter and no they had no rooms but we could come back in two days and maybe they would have one for that week.

Room Tip: because they don't honor internet confirmed reservations, you should never stay at any of their...
Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at Value Place Columbus Bldg. 1, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
I am very sorry that we did not have a room for you. Since we are an extended stay hotel this happens on occasion. We do not ask current guests to leave. We should have handled it differently at the property and that will be addressed. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.