“Expected a Better Stay!!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus (Fort Benning)
Ranked #26 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Florence, Kentucky
“Expected a Better Stay!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Night of April 15, 2014 arrived at hotel for my son's Basic Training Graduation and the experience was less than we expected. The first room we was given, was not to our satisfaction. The office chair was in very poor condition. The vinyl fabric was worn and padding was showing. Also, the sofa bed had blood stains on the mattress, and the TV in the living room area was not working well. We asked for another room, which the staff was willing and able to accommodate for us. The second room was better, however, the cushions on the sofa was wet and had a stain. We were so tired at this time and the rest of the room was OK we stayed in this room, however we was not a comfortable as we expected especially for the cost of the room per night. The breakfast was good, nothing exceptional. However, when I was leaving the breakfast area, someone had spilled cookies or something up and down the stairs. I informed the front desk staff that the excessive amount of crumbs on the stairs. Staff stated she was the only one there at the time and had to wait for additional staff to assist her. Also, someone placed a huge amount of gum on the banister for the stairs and I almost put my hand in the gum, however a family member warned me. I informed staff of this as well. Also, that morning the fire alarm went off, which we was not informed of, and the noise was so loud for 20 minutes. We were told it was a test. This was the last straw. We checked out and went to another hotel which provided excellent service. I love to travel and look forward to my hotel stays. The staff was good and helpful, but the overall experience was poor. I also informed the staff that they need to share that this hotel needs to be refurbished. Also pool was closed.

Room Tip: Advise travelers to ask to check the room before you pay.
1 Thank Sharon C
Gerica S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus (Fort Benning), responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Sharon,
First, I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues which occurred during your stay with us. I have shared your concerns with the entire staff and would like to assure you that we are working diligently on the matters. I believe we were renovating our pool area during your stay and I am so sorry that you and your family were unable to use it. Since I did not get a chance to speak with you during your stay or at check-out time, I would like to personally discuss the issues which you incurred. Please feel free to contact the hotel at your convenience so that we can discuss the issues and I can try and make it right for you to the best of my abilities. Again, please accept my sincere apologies and I hope that you will give us another chance to better exceed your expectations.

Gerica Stucker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Horrible and rude service! I booked three rooms a month in advance for my son's graduation at Fort Benning. I had booked a King Studio Suite for myself and my In-Laws and a standard room with 2 queen beds for my parents and sister. Upon check-in we discovered we were given a standard room with two queen beds. When we questioned the front desk, we got different answers as to what happened. They could not switch us to the room I booked as they were all occupied? How is this when I booked a month in advance? The woman at the front desk as well as the manger, Jerrica Strucker treated the situation poorly and only offered to take a small percentage off of our bill. (which was only charging us the actual cost of the room we got) I am also convinced we would have paid the full Suite amount for our standard room had we not said anything. I will also say they offered to move us to another property, but that was not an option without trying to move ALL of us.

During our three day stay we also observed how poor this property was. We witnessed at least two other guests that did not get what they reserved. The housekeeping staff did their best to not have to clean and re-supply our room with towels. The pool was disgusting. There was a nasty film floating on the top of the water. A woman also had reserved a room solely to bring a very large family that did not stay there only to use the pool. After they were done, there were towels everywhere that were not taken care of until very late the next day!

Thankfully my parents and my In-Laws got the correct room I reserved for them. They enjoyed the breakfast in the morning as well.

I do not see myself in this area again, but this stay will detour me away from staying at this hotel chain anywhere I travel.

1 Thank Katrina B
Dear Katrina,
I am deeply sorry for the inconveniences and issues that you incurred during your stay. I would like to make this right for you. Could you please call me at your convenience at the hotel? It would be my pleasure to personally discuss the issues with you and come to a resolution. I have reviewed your concerns with our front desk and housekeeping team to ensure that the same incidence does not happen again.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Great hotel. Stayed here for 4 nights for my son's graduation. Very clean, comfortable beds. Breakfast is great. Would stay here again. Had the one bedroom suite. Lots of room. Jeanette at the front desk very nice as well as Tanya in the breakfast area. All the staff are friendly and very helpful.

Room Tip: The one bedroom suite is great. Very roomy. I was on the third floor. Very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Gerica S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus (Fort Benning), responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review!
I am so glad you chose to stay with through your soldier's graduation. I shared your awesome comments with Tanya and Jeanette and they were so happy that you mentioned them by name! Thank you for your positive comments and I hope that you choose to stay with us again if your travels bring you back to the area!

Palm Bay Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

The Inn is hard to get too off the highway, having to use GPS to locate it. Though is says Fort Benning, it is about 15 miles from the Post. The Inn was clean and friendly, and the room was standard size. It feature of an indoor pool was my attraction to it. But the pool was cold the first day and the second it was warm but not clear. The room was clean and shower was clean. The "free" breakfast was average. The coffee is not the best tasting (metallic) .

Great value compared to other prices

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Gerica S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus (Fort Benning), responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Roger,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review! Thank you so much for your kind words about Country Inn & Suites! I also wanted to apologize for any issues you incurred during your stay. We use these reviews to fine tune our staff and accommodations, so we appreciate all feedback!

Again, thank you so much for writing us a review and I hope you come back to see us when your travels bring you back to the area!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

The hotel itself was clean and nice, breakfast was great and the rates were very affordable. My family was there for an eight night stay. The staff was so friendly, helpful and wonderful there. I would stay again if I was in Columbus area. My small children loved the lobby with the books they could come and read. My ONLY complaint is that in our Queen suite the temperature didn't regulate very well. This really wasn't THAT big of an issue except we had kids sleeping on the sofa and when the door was shut to our bedroom the main living area got really warm.

Room Tip: Be careful with suites with doors, AC doesn't circulate that well into the main room if door is...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Gerica S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus (Fort Benning), responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you so much for writing us a review!

We really enjoyed having your family here with us for your stay. I wanted to thank you especially for your kind words about our staff and amenities! I also wanted to let you know we are currently having our maintenance staff look into that A/C circulation issue, so that the same incidence does not occur in the future.

Again, thank you so much for choosing Country Inn & Suites for your accommodation needs and we hope you come back to visit us when you travels bring you back to the area!

Dubuque
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I reserved a 2-bed suite at this hotel for two nights so that we could attend my son's graduation from Army basic training at Fort Benning. I wanted something a little distant from the army base, and hopefully less busy, because we didn't want to be up all night listening to partyers. I chose a suite because I was hoping to have a lounge area that we could return to when my son was out on leave during Family day and Graduation day.

This hotel is located in the middle of a large retail area, and the entrance is extremely difficult to find. There is a short sign nearly hidden by the shrubbery, with plenty of other nearby driveways to making finding the entrance confusing, even with a GPS. We were not fully confident in our ability to find the driveway entrance even after two nights staying at this hotel.

The number of nearby businesses makes grabbing something close to eat very easy, even walkable. This hotel is right by a Subway, another sub shop, an ice cream shop, and an excellent Cracker Barrel restaurant, among many other choices. We decided to walk to Subway across the street at about 8 p.m. and on our way back were confronted by a panhandler. No problem ensued but it was a little creepy. Definitely lock your car doors here and make sure possessions are out of sight. A couple of feral cats were also patrolling the area, giving it more urban flavor than we'd hoped.

We were given a room on the 3rd floor and went back and forth numerous times on the elevator. I didn't realize that it was a treat to be able to count on an elevator until a succeeding night when we stayed in a hotel that didn't have one. When family arrived, they were given room a few doors down on the same floor, which was convenient. We were treated well by the staff we encountered throughout this experience.

The room was laid out so that the sitting area was near the hall, with the bedroom near the exterior windows. There was limited natural daylight in the sitting area, making it dark, but there were three lamps , so that was OK, while not optimal. The office chair at the desk had a huge rip in the vinyl seat and should have been replaced. The carpet also had an obvious wear spot near the door. Other than that, the room furniture was OK, and the bed was clean and comfortable. There was a door you could close between the sleeping area and the sitting area, if needed. We used the safe and the refrigerator, and they worked fine.

The wifi also worked fine, and the breakfast was good both days. Despite that, when members of our group went to breakfast at different times, they had to deal with problems such as no silverware, or no plates, so I guess the staff had trouble keeping up. Also, when we tried to draw the curtains the first night, we found that we could not close them. There were sheers but no regular curtains to block the exterior street lights or provide privacy. The second night, we did have curtains, which I believe appeared when our room was cleaned.

The window of our room overlooked a parking lot for a doctor or dental office, which was OK, but it was also adjacent to a truck loading area, which was noisy. We were able to open the window for fresh air, which was nice, when there were no loud diesel engine noises present. Another minor problem was that the cleaning staff appeared to throw out and replace our soap even though we were staying two days, which is not a green practice.

I'm not sure whether we'd stay here again. It served our purpose, and seemed to be an average hotel, albeit pricier than others. The front verandas seemed to be popular with some guests, although we did not use them. Some fragrant shrubs were blooming while we were there. We had a good time with family, and that's what's important.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel!

You gave us some very detailed feedback, which we appreciate. I wanted to thank you for the kind words you had to share about Country Inn & Suites and apologize for the few bumps you endured during your stay. We use these reviews to fine tune our hotel and improve service, so thank you again for your review and we hope you will stay with us again if your travels bring you back to the area!

Bloomington, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stopped for one night in Columbus before catching a flight from Hartsfield that was scheduled to leave at eight the next evening. We had been on vacation in Florida and I was so sick with terrible bronchitis. They kindly allowed us a late check out (2 pm) at no extra charge. Being able to stay in bed and rest those extra hours really made a difference. I will never forget how nice they were.The hotel and the room were absolutely spotless and it was the best shower of the whole vacation. My husband said the breakfast was very good and brought me juice. We had never stayed at a Country Inn and Suites before but it will be my first choice from now on.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor directly across from the elevator and the room was very quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Gerica S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus (Fort Benning), responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review!

I am so glad that our staff here kept you comfortable and happy. Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel, breakfast, and staff! I am so thankful that we met (and hopefully exceeded) your expectations and introduced you to the brand of Country Inn & Suites! I hope you choose us if your travels ever bring you back through the area.