“Columbus Orchestra”

Columbus Symphony Orchestra
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1855 by Mendelssohn’s student, Herman S. Saroni, the Columbus Symphony Orchestra became the second orchestra formed in the United States. The symphony disbanded during the Civil War and both World Wars, but always reorganized during times of peace. In 1949, the organization as we know it today, was formed and has performed for 69 consecutive years. The CSO has been a professional orchestra since the late 1970’s and employs as many as 90 musicians for any given concert. Long recognized as one of the southeast’s finest musical ensembles, the CSO currently performs at RiverCenter for the Performing Arts.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Activities for older children
Reviewed 25 June 2018

The Columbus Orchestra is a wonderful evening out. The tickets are reasonably priced and there is not a bad seat in the house. My husband and I really enjoyed the time and the music was a great caliber. If you live in or near Columbus GA you should really visit the Symphony it is a great experience. We are planning on attending again next year for at least one or two concerts.

Kristen H, Marketing Director at Columbus Symphony Orchestra, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are so thrilled to hear of our patrons' great experiences. We hope to see you back again in our upcoming season! I encourage you to check out our Flex Pass... you can get a really great deal on tickets if you are wanting four or more for the season.

Reviewed 3 November 2017

I have to say, I am always blown away by the Columbus Symphony Orchestra and the Khashimov Plays Brahms concert was no exception! The Columbus community is so lucky to have such a spectacular musical ensemble at their fingertips. If you live in the area or just passing through, this is a MUST SEE! The RiverCenter is a stunning venue making the whole concert experience a treat. I can't say enough great things about my visit. The violin soloist, Nadir Khashimov, was such a dynamic performer. I can't believe we have such incredible talent brought to this area. What a fun night!

Reviewed 22 October 2017

Really didn't expect this kind of quality in Columbus. Visited Khashimov Plays Brahms last night and was blown away! Khashimov was unreal but the Orchestra stole the show. I honestly did not move or utter a peep the entire performance...Just that great and when the last two movements were played-you felt like you had been part of the experience on stage! Go-get tickets-you will not be disapointed!

1  Thank brewColumbus_Georgia

Thank you so much for attending our performance last season! We always appreciate the enthusiasm from our patrons and work to continue providing great music to the Chattahoochee Valley area. We hope to see you return and see us in our upcoming season!

Reviewed 17 June 2015

A Columbus Symphony Orchestra concert is an excellent way to enjoy big city sound at a small town price. I attended 4 of the Columbus Symphony Orchestra's 7 concerts last season and I enjoyed each of them thoroughly. Each of the concerts had a unique theme and Conductor George Del Gobo did a nice job of balancing popular, crowd pleasing pieces of music with less frequently heard and very interesting music. As I understand it, the symphony pulls talented musicians from all over Georgia and Alabama for each concert which, I believe, contributes to the quality of the ensemble- an ensemble you would expect to find in a much larger city. If you are attending one of the "Masterworks" series concerts, be sure to arrive early so that you can hear Maestro Del Gobo's orientation to the concert which he calls "Know the Score." During these orientations, Del Gobo provides concert goers with cues to listen for in the music, an explanation of the historical context of many of the pieces, and answers questions from the audience. Del Gobo is intimately familiar with all of the pieces the orchestra plays so his notes on cues, moments, and textures within the music are fascinating but these informal orientations are most remarkable for the historical context he provides for each piece- the man has virtually encyclopedic knowledge of music history. I would reccomend the CSO to any and all music lovers living in or visiting the Chattahoochee Valley. Final note: children's tickets to the concerts are only $5, but families with young children who need to be in bed before the end of a concert or who may not sit so well through an entire concert can also attend the orchestra's rehearsals held the day of the concert at 12:30 PM.