“Cold rooms do not generate a warm heart”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Courtyard Columbus

Courtyard Columbus
Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
covington, GA
“Cold rooms do not generate a warm heart”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Checked in at 730PM, ready to crash for the night. The room was cold. I called the front desk...."keep on mashing the buttons and it will kick on." Nothing worked. Called back to front desk..."maintenance will be here at 9PM." I was cold. At 915PM, I called the front desk again and he was "on the way....would you like a free breakfast tomorrow morning?" He comes in, takes the unit off the wall and the batteries are CORRODED ! He went to get 4 more AA batteries, and the room eventually heated up, after about 30 minutes. And it was a small room too. I was very disappointed. I would think Marriott would have a better Preventive Maintenance (PM) program than this. Not having a maintenance employee available til late evening is sad. And it really gets me I pay $119 for the night, and they still want me to buy breakfast. I won't be back to this location.

Room Tip: You can just about park right outside your room. It's an old design 2 story hotel, close to a ve...
Green Features: They definitely believe in heat conservation because it wasn't working.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Alpharetta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

You will find this hotel has a good location next to a mall and a number of "chain" restaurants. The hotel itself has some nice strengths, but suffers from the early design. First of all be aware that this is a two story hotel without an elevator. If you have trouble navigating stairs, or have a lot of luggage you may want to insist on a ground floor room. The lobby is renovated in the new format of Courtyard hotels. The bistro works if you want a quick bite. The line at breakfast though was long. One reason is the decision of most Courtyard hotels to no longer provide complimentary coffee in the morning. The hallways are worn, and the hotel does not smell fresh. The exterior and courtyard pool area is a dreary, dirty mess. You will find the fitness center to be above average in size and quality of equipment. I stay in Columbus a few times a month, but this is the first and last stay for this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Sherpa2286
Kennesaw, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

We have stayed here many times while our son was stationed at Ft. Benning. The staff went out of their way to treat us like family and went beyond the call of duty to make sure we had everything we needed.

The hotel is so suitable for family gatherings- a wide open indoor space, and lovely patios and decks. The pool area is delightful!

One soldier saw the room and said, "
My pass is only for 8 hours- if I put my head on that pillow- I'll never get up"

Room Tip: All the rooms are great and have pool view!
Columbus, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I had my daughter a birthday slumber party. Had two connecting rooms, one double and one king. The wireless internet service was sketchy. The television did not pick up on the local channels. I mentioned this to the front desk clerk and he said that he was unsure why their televisions didn't pick up well on the local channels, but that I should be able to view Fox. Sliding door was hard to open and I saw Cheerios under the air unit.

Room Tip: Hotel is only 2 floors but has no elevators so travel light!!
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed here to attend a ceremony at Ft. Benning so we only had to stay one night, but I would've switched hotels if it had been more than one. The room was fine, bare bones (as Courtyards are) and clean, but the outdoor areas were dirty and run down and the hallway smelled horrible (musty, old, smokey, dirty). I personally disliked the fact that the rooms facing the courtyard area lacked any privacy. You had to keep the light-blocking curtain closed to avoid other guests being able to see right in.

The small patio was filthy, the yard area was littered with cigarette butts and they had the most uncomfortable furniture out there I've ever sat in. The light on our patio was burned out as were many of the others I saw. In addition, my ground-floor patio doors (slider and screen) had to be slammed, lifted and wiggled in order to get the locks to engage properly. Maybe it's just me, but I hate when hotels miss little details like this. Such easy, regular maintenance items to keep up on it makes me wonder what else they're missing/ignoring that we can't so easily see... The pool water was cloudy and the concrete was in desperate needs of re-finishing (stained, cracked). I didn't let my kids swim in it; I didn't trust that the water was properly maintained.

The woman working the breakfast cafe (Fri a.m. 10/18/13) was a standout among the lackluster and SLOW staff. Unlike the desk clerks we encountered she was friendly, welcoming and EFFICIENT. (Check in was painfully slow and really, they made it seem like we were bothering them by being there).

I could go on, but I fear I'm starting to sound nit-picky.... I'll just say that there seemed to be a lot of hotel choices in that immediate area and I would recommend that you don't settle for this one.

Room Tip: Choose one at another hotel
Kansas City, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

This is a typical Courtyard so if you're not a fan of the brand then you might pick another hotel. The lobby is decorated as others are: clean and colorful with cafe-counter in the lobby. The room was clean with the exception of the bathroom where there was the beginnings of mold on one wall. Maybe it's just the Courtyard's I've stayed at, but none of them have had fans in the bathrooms. This is somewhat irritating. As other reviews have stated, you're within very short walking distance of the Peachtree mall and several restaurants. This brand does not offer free breakfast of any type, so consider that if it's important to you. Our stay was decent, but nothing spectacular. Also regarding location, if you're there for military reasons, the base is about a 10-15 minute drive on the interstate.

Cumming, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

This Courtyard is conveniently located next to the Peachtree Mall which allows for dining and shopping opportunities (if you like chains...we drove the 5 miles to downtown). The lobby is renovated with the new Courtyard look and appeal which I like very much. However, they have not updated the pool and patio area and that was very disappointing. The pool didn't not sparkle like it should...the water appeared cloudy. The patio was not inviting... The rooms were comfortable with the new look and the shower was powerful even though the bathroom did not appear to be updated. My biggest problem was the morning of check out. Went to the lobby for coffee and they informed us that they no longer offer complimentary coffee! They said it is a new policy of Courtyard. I am not sure if that is true or not as we have stayed in many Courtyards this year and we always had coffee in the lobby. They told us to use the coffee maker provided in the room or buy the coffee at their café. I would never use the coffeemakers in a hotel room as I have watched too many expose shows about the lack of cleanliness. I think they should rethink this new way to save money and provide coffee to their customers. At the very least, they should be consistent across the brand so that you could choose a hotel that provides the services you prefer. I don't need or want the breakfast that Residence Inn provides but I do like to have a fresh cup of coffee in my room when I am getting dressed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Fairfield Inn & Suites Columbus
TownePlace Suites Columbus
TownePlace Suites Columbus
#29 of 46 in Columbus
Home2 Suites by Hilton Columbus

Been to Courtyard Columbus? Share your experiences!