“Great Location”

Ranked #46 of 47 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Reviewed 31 May 2013

Reviewed 31 May 2013

I had booked my hotel stay for 2 nights but only stay 1. I was still charge for 2 nights. As you can guess, I was very upset, because I thought I had booked the room through Howard Johnson Hotel Reservation. After speaking with Laura (the front desk clerk), she politely explain to me that Howard Johnson had only charge me for 1 night. I was not satisfied with her anwer because my bank statement showed charges for 2 nights.

I than requested to see her manager. When Cecil (the manager) came in, he could probably sense that I was a little ticked off. After I showed him my credit card statement, he carefully explain to me that I had book my stay through a travel agent not through their reservation service. The travel agent immediately charge card me for 2 nights, even before I checked in. Cecil advised me to see if could located the number that I had used to book the reservation, to see if they would reverse the charges. Fortunately, I was able to find the number. The agent call called HOJO and spoked to Laura. After speaking with her, he immediately put in a request to refund my card, he also gave me his agent number just incase I had farther issues with this transaction.

Long story short.....Laura and Cecil being polite, calm, courteous, while I was a little upset, made all the differents.

Thanks again Laura and Cecil

Frederick

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Cecil W, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Columbus GA, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

mrquietstorm44 I am happy to see this review and I thank you for taking the time to let everyone know about your experience with us! When traveling with so many options its too easy to get mixed up. But through my own experience I have learned some of the "ins" and "outs" of the industry and believe me if I was in your shoes I would have been upset too! This looks like Laura did exactly what she was supposed to do and that great! We try to encourage the team to always put themselves in the guests shoes and view the desk from the other side when there are any guest issues and this is an example that shows that has seemed to work. I thank you for this feedback and you are welcome back anytime mrquietstorm44. I wish you the best on all of your travels and please come back and see us in the future.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Safety seems to be a non-issue with this hotel. As a single woman, I felt afraid. There were several contractors drinking, cursing, and having a party outside my door at 11:00PM. I called the front desk and a young woman answered and said she would take care of it. She came down and told them to be quiet. For a few minutes they were quiet and then it started up again.
By this time, shifts had changed and a young man by the name of Evan came on duty. When I called again he told me that there was nothing he could do. He said he had no rooms (over half of hotel was empty) and that they had a right to do what they wanted to in their rooms. He also suggested that I go out and approach the group of drunk men and ask them to be quiet. I asked if there was a security man on duty and he said "No- security is only on duty when the hotel is full." After telling me the hotel was not full I pressed for another room. Eventually, he gave me another room. The room was fine and I finally got some sleep.

My point is that Evan should have given me another room immediately instead of arguing with me and making me feel helpless and vulnerable. I would not recommend this hotel to families or to single women . I know that I will not stay there again and probably will never stay at a Howard Johnson's again. If you want a safe, quiet and peaceful night's sleep DONT GO to the Howard Johnson Inn Express on Veteran's Parkway in downtown Columbus.

Room Tip: Ask before you take a room if there is security on duty at night. Especially if you are a woman tra...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

jlmac25 I was horrified and and flat out angry when I heard about your experience here at our property and I took action imidietly. I cant believe that this was the kind of service you received from one of our employees and corrective action was taken swiftly. Your instance here will serve as a reminder to all of our employees of how not to handle a situation and horrible guest service. As a result of this we will be implementing changes at the property and begin to redefine how we meet our guests needs. Again jlmac25 I am deeply sorry that you had to go through something like this here and please accept my most sincere apologies.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Cecil W, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Columbus GA, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013