Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Columbus GA
Ranked #44 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
TUCKER
“REVIEW”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Average/adequate; about what you'd expect in Columbus for price. Hotels in this city are way overpriced. Would never visit this dump of a city if didn't have to work there. No batteries in smoke detectors in 2 different rooms I moved to. Had to wait for a manager to bring batteries.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Absolutely the WORST experience I've ever had at a hotel/motel. I should have paid attention to the reviews more closely, not only did the rooms smell, they looked pretty dirty. My first night there I was too exhausted to really think to check the bed for bugs. In the morning (about 3 am) I woke up itching like crazy, and had about 20 bed bug bites all over. I pulled my covers off, and there was an adult bed bug, clear as day. I informed the young man down at the desk, and showed him a picture of the bug I'd seen and also shown him the bites, he was very friendly, but didn't really seem to know what to do about it. He offered me to switch rooms. I figured since I had left all my things in the bathroom, and had not set them anywhere else I would be safe to do so, (bed bugs tend to stick around areas where people sleep, and in fabrics, they don't like tile very much). Every piece of clothing I had that touched the bed I placed into a plastic bag, sealed it right and kept it away from my other things as not to infect them. I moved into another room, non smoking this time, put my things in the bathroom, and it seemed drastically cleaner than the other room. So I had high hope that I would not encounter any other bugs. Boy, I was wrong. I went to lay down to go to bed and I seen something crawling, it was a young nymph. Light tan color, so I know it hadn't eaten, which means I couldn't have brought it from the other room. This time I killed the bug, took it down to the guy at the desk, all he did was offer me another room. At this point, I didn't feel like that would solve anything, so I stayed, was up all night as I was too paranoid to sleep. The young man tried to ease my mind, came up and vacuumed the floor and bed for me, and replaced the sheets, but having delt with these nasty pests before, I knew that wouldn't be much help. The next day I was a mess, trying to figure out what to do, the manager had not made any contact with me, and no one seemed to try and resolve the situation, or for that matter, even really care to try. I went downstairs and found the manager and asked him what he could do for me, all he said is that he would have to make some phone calls, and continued to tell me that I probably brought the bugs with me. Which is completely outrageous. I had not set any of my things in the beds. I also had asked how often they got inspections for that kind of thing, by one person I was told every once in a while, by the manager I was told they they were done frequently. So which one is it?? Bed bugs only take about a drop of blood when they feed. 20 bites would not come from just one or two bugs brought over, there would have had to of been an infestation going on prior to my arrival. Adults can live up to a YEAR without food, and young nymphs for a couple months. They claimed they had never had a problem before. Which could be true, but the bugs don't always bite everyone, and people don't always have reactions right away. I felt terribly neglected as a customer. And I was more than irritated being it was my first trip across country on my own. I came down to visit my brother at fort Benning for family day, and at that point I didn't want to bring him to that hotel so he could possible pick up the bugs and take them back to base. That would have been disastrous. I got a hold of my grandmother, who then called the hotel and demanded a refund for me. They refused and said they would only refund me for one night, as they were not liable, because after the first night I chose to stay. They then proceeded to tell me that I HAD to check out. No choice. I really started freaking out then, because I knew I didn't have enough money for cab fair and for another hotel. I strongly advise booking a room here. Find a nice clean, bug free hotel. And if you can... Spend the extra money for a nice one, it's worth the money for the extra security of safety , and for the reassurance that the environment doesn't pose a health risk.

(I've been home more than a couple weeks and have tried to post this review many times. I have not had any problems with bugs since I've left that hotel.)

• Stayed March 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Courtyard Columbus Phenix City/Riverfront
Quality Inn
#29 of 46 in Columbus
Value Place Columbus Bldg. 2
Wingate by Wyndham Columbus / Fort Benning

Been to Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Columbus GA? Share your experiences!