“Would NEVER consider this again”

Extended Stay America - Columbus - Airport
Ranked #34 of 47 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I had reservations at the other ESA in town but had to change when the dates of our stay shifted. Was "lucky" we got there before the lobby is locked but was not about to use that nasty elevator a second time. The dead bug embedded in the blanket, the non-working kitchen electric plug, the jacked-up toilet and towels that were more like an emery cloth were nasty enough. The location next to the highway with no noise reduction and gaps around the door meant it was very noisy - of course the residents honking for attention, yelling down to the parking lot and exercising above us made for many early AM wake-ups. It was cheap - boy, was it cheap.

Room Tip: The front doesn't get as much highway noise and, if you can handle the stairs, 3rd floor avoids...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. The situation that you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have implemented new procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated.

Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at cap@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

So, I've been to many ESA's around the country. This particular one seems to have too many "permanent" residents, so you can imagine the fabulous environment that creates. This was by far the loudest, poorly-managed, and most-uncomfortable one ever. It was way over-priced too for an ESA! Loud kids everywhere, smokers all around, and like some other ESAs the walls are paper-thin and rattle whenever somebody so much as sneezes two rooms away from yours. I was in a "non-smoking" room while the one right next to me was "smoking" (poor managerial decision - and both were at the end of the building so that's just stupid). The fumes would not only go through the windows and door, but also through the walls. The queen-style suite was much smaller than the usual ones I'm used to at other ESAs. Was there for a month, and am very happy to be done with this "hotel" (and this overall nasty town, too - sorry). I do have to add that the one front office lady that I dealt with was very professional and nice, also......ergh, no thats about it about this place.... Good luck!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We appreciate the kind comments about our staff; however, we apologize that your one-month stay did not meet your expectations. To uphold our company's high standards, we are working to improve our housekeeping services and the way we place guests throughout the hotel, specifically smokers vs. non-smokers.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly, at cap@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

We had reserved a block of rooms for a special family celebration in a restaurant next to this property. While we did not expect quality of the Ritz, we certainly did not expect the worst of all possible properties. The staff attitudes and rudeness only added to a terrible experience. We have advised the restaurant (The Buckhead Bar and Grill in Columbus, which is exceptionally fabulous, friendly, and of a high caliber) that they shouldn't refer anyone asking about nearby accommodations to this motel. We travel extensively, staying in all kinds of properties. This is hands-down the absolute worst - - terrible condition of hotel, the surliness of staff - - we have ever stayed in. All of our relatives (10 rooms in all) had the same reaction to this property. We would sleep in the car before we would ever consider staying here again.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. The location of the hotel is good only because there are several other hot...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I should first note that this was a cheap hotel, so I really wasn't expecting very much. We arrived in the late evening and first thing on arrival, my son and his girlfriend witnessed a vehicle back into another in the parking lot and drive off. When they reported it to the front desk, with a description and a partial plate number of the drive-off, the desk clerk said, "I know whose car got hit. I'm sure glad I won't be here in the morning when she finds it." No indication that she intended to call the hotel guest and give them the opportunity to report it to the police.

My son said it best: "Mom, this place is kind of sketchy."

The rooms were tiny and pretty run down: the beds were uncomfortable and the sheets were so threadbare they were nearly transparent. The coffee cups in the full kitchen (one of the reasons I reserved this hotel) were cracked, one to the point that it leaked. There was a huge gap under the door, which opened to the outside, and I kept thinking about bugs crawling underneath it. It suffices to say that we didn't leave anything on the floor. There isn't daily housekeeping, which is fine, but when I tried to get a packet of coffee from the front desk, they had locked the lobby door a half hour early and when I called them they said, "We don't have any." I was able to get one off the housekeeper's cart in the morning.

People obviously smoked in the elevator, which delivered the defining moment of our stay there: The elevator opened on the ground floor and out stepped this wild-eyed old guy with a pit bull on a leash and a urine bag strapped to his leg.

Sketchy indeed.

Room Tip: Don't do it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
ESH-RDO, Owner at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2013

I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Columbus - Airport. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We specialize in providing guests with the amenities and service they require for an enjoyable stay at an exceptional rate. In the case of housekeeping, our standard service schedule provides one full housekeeping after every seven days stayed, with the option to purchase additional housekeeping services as desired. Operating our business in this way allows us to continue offering the same great rates to which our guests have become accustomed.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

The staff are so helpful respectful and extremely nice and fun makes me feel like this is my home from home and super clean!! They are never unorganized never had a problem with my room. Everything is done to make sure that I'm happy and comfortable while I'm stay in Columbus. Its a very safe environment and location!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank AndreaLeigh89
ESH-RDO, Owner at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2012

I recently received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to respond. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

"Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America Columbus - Airport. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority.