“Very marginal, even for a Motel 6”
Review of Motel 6 Commerce

Motel 6 Commerce
Motel 6 Commerce
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Commerce
Raleigh, NC
“Very marginal, even for a Motel 6”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I stayed here over a Saturday night with a friend in a 'double' room. The price wasn't too bad, but there wasn't much to the room.

Perhaps we got lucky- the first-floor room that we got seemed fairly clean, and we didn't have any problems with dirty towels or beds, there weren't any smells or insect pests. It was also very quiet, but there were very few people staying at the motel that night.

What was in the room seemed to work ok- the TV was fine, as was the wi-fi connection, which required a code to connect. The problem is that is about the sum total of what is in the room- literally just the TV. There was no clock-radio, no hair dryer (a good traveler should have their own anyway), and very little furniture. For a double room meant for two people, there was only one medium-length "desk" along the wall, and a single chair. In order for both of us to work, we had to do some rather creative rearranging, and had to borrow an extra chair from the office. The person working the late-shift in the office was very nice and let us temporarily use one, but it was very cramped. I also noticed the lack of outlets in the bathroom area- there was a single, very loose outlet high above in the fluorescent light fixture.

Although we didn't experience the yuckiness that some others have seen in this obviously-older motel, it was still a rather marginal experience, and if you can find a similarly-priced room in the area (around $50 for a double room on a weekend night), it would probably be worth trying that instead. This motel is in an I-85 exit with a variety of motels, fast food, gas stations, etc, so there are plenty of alternatives.

I wouldn't exactly describe our experience as "poor", but it was definitely a bit below even what you would normally expect for a Motel 6 type of cheap motel.

Room Tip: Would recommend trying other motels in the area first. If you do stay here, try to get one on the g...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank htomc42

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Columbia, MD
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We only needed a place to sleep and nothing more, so our expectations weren't high. We knew we were selecting the lowest quality place. But, they still didn't meet our expectations. We checked in, went to our room, pulled back the sheets and saw the stains on them. We turned around and left the room. Luckily, they let us leave and refunded our money. We went to the Quality Inn for about the same price and found a more decent room.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Commerce hotels

Newnan
Reviewed 2 August 2011

This inn was updated and it has returned to a dump again. The Motel 6 website says "Refurbished". Don't believe it. Carpet was filthy.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 April 2011

If I hadn't been so unbelievably exhausted, I wouldn't have stayed. I don't think I have ever stepped foot in a place that nasty. I think there was semen on the floor. It smelled sooooo bad. Like nasty funk with even nastier deodorant sprayed on top. No way in the world I would walk barefoot on those floors. Worst hotel experience EVER. GROSS. The photos are not of THAT Motel 6. It is old and outside corridors

Room Tip: Stay at the quality inn near it!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
connecticut
Reviewed 16 September 2009

I stay in many hotels in my travels as a truck driver, and I will sacrifice a lot, to get a better price on a room, and stay at many motel 6's. This one is disgusting, from floor to ceiling, I could smell the room outside the door, literally. After seeing one room, I asked for his cleanest room, and after seeing the "cleanest room in the motel". I got my money back. If this was the last motel in the world, I would sleep under my truck.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank shakinthembones
Georgia
Reviewed 8 November 2008

I cancelled my reservation with a competing motel chain only after being told by Motel 6 central reservations that this property was built a year ago. Nothing could have been further from the truth. In fact the Motel 6 in Commerce resembles a structure that was built in the year one. Probably the last time it saw any real renovating as well. The room was filthy and fly infested. Even the phone was cracked, in need of repair and should have been boiled in water prior to using in an attempt to be disinfect it. This is a real no frills property. No tissues, no clock radio and no electrical outlet near the sink. I requested another room and was given one without any apologies. I was assured the replacement room was also a non-smoking room. Someone should have told the last occupant that because the lighter was still on the bed and there were cigarette ashes on the refrigerator. The room smelled of smoke as well. In this second room the floors were warped and it appeared as if there was a hole in one area of the floor. This one was also excessively dirty with crud covered light switches and an unclean refrigerator. Probably the second worst motel I have ever stayed in. This Motel 6 should either be brought up to franchise standards or condemned by the board of health and be given a fatal dose of the wrecking ball. I took plenty of pictures and I am currently seeking restitution from Motel 6 corporate for induced trauma and needless suffering.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — canceling my reservation with another motel chain
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jetsmoother