“Good but with a just a little effort could be very good”

Lake Blackshear Resort and Golf Club
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Cordele
metro Atlanta
“Good but with a just a little effort could be very good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I was ready to give a 4 star review until I came across some housekeeping issues. We stayed in the Villas. Pros: Rooms were spacious with 2 dbl beds, 2 desks, a mini refrig, and a screened in porch with 2 chairs and a table and a nice view of the lake. The updated bath area was great with a mirror and vanity sink outside the bath and a mirror and pedestal sink inside the bath. Beds were reasonably comfortable, but got a little hard on the hip bursitis after the first night. Check in/out was easy and the clerks were friendly and helpful. The lake setting is beautiful and multiples paths are available for walking. The memorial to the Vets is interesting and worth a few minutes to read about the various pieces of equipment displayed.
Cons: The villas have 8 rooms to a building, 4 on each side of the stairway. We could hear plumbing sounds from what seemed to come from the other 3 units on our side of the building. Not a big annoyance, but water noise thruout the day/night. Both of the desk chairs need cleaning and/or reupholstering as they had big stains and/or worn places in them. The refrig had multiple beers in it when we arrived, meaning that housekeeping hadn't ckd the refrig prior to our arrival. We used the baggy for the ice bucket the first day and it was never replaced. Found 4 or 5 pine tree sticks in one of the desk drawers. They stayed there thruout our 3 night stay. Put some black socks on the night stand shelf. When I pulled them out the next day, they were covered with dust. Obviously, that shelf hadn't been dusted in a LONG time. In the unit below ours, two pills stayed on the bathroom floor during their entire stay; they ran out of both tissues and toilet paper the same evening, and their hair dryer didn't work. While none of these are huge issues and wouldn't keep us from staying here again, with just a bit more effort from the housekeeping staff, our rating would go from a 3 to a 4. It was quite nice, especially for a state park, but good housekeeping could make it even nicer.

4 Thank retired-luvnit
Jessica S, Front Office Manager at Lake Blackshear Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review and your stay with us. I have took all your concerns about the room and housekeeping to the appropriate department heads. I am glad that your overall time spent here at Lake Blackshear Resort was enjoyable and we hope to see you soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Navarre, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Every since this place was built, I have always wanted to stay there. This past weekend I reserved a villa for a 2 night stay. I would say that the staff was great, the breakfast at the restaurant was delicious, and the view of the lake was awesome. However, that was it. The room (villa) was a big disappointment! We had to get an handicap accessible room due to our son being in a wheelchair. The room that we were in was way out dated, box tv, crappy internet service, hard beds, only 2 small pillows per bed. Went to take a shower the next morning and no hot water. The windows are all stained so you can't see the view unless you walk out on the porch. A tall lamp that was next to a chair was broke and was leaning over. This place is nice because of the view but the rooms are horrible. And no microwave, we wanted to heat a meal for our son who has to have continues nourishment. No microwave in the room, we went to the front to see if there was one at the office. Not one there either. I figured if there is a small fridge, there "usually" is a microwave in the room. Anyway, next time I plan a trip to this place, I won't stay in the villas again. I have heard that the cabins are a lot nicer, I think next time, we will try that. This place needs to do some serious renovations and upkeep!

Room Tip: Stay away from the villas! You will be disappointed!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank swegia
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us a Lake Blackshear Resort. I would like to apologize on the room not meeting your expectations. I will address this with the proper department manager. I am pleased to know that you did enjoy the meals and also the lake view of the property. On your next visit we would love to show you the 2-bedroom cottages.
Pearson, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

This is a great place if you want to be right on the waters edge. we visit probably 6 or 7 times a year. we love to go boating and the convience of the resort is a plus. although the beds are hard as a rock and all of the showers need new updated showerheads the rooms are nice. they all have a screened patio and if you stay in the villas you can walk down to the cypress grill..which is an AMAZING bar and grill!!

Room Tip: ask for a villa close to the pool or the cypress grill..its the best side to be on...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Jessica S, Front Office Manager at Lake Blackshear Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoy staying with us several times a year. Our Cypress and Marina are still up and running, with rentals and live shows. We look forward for your stay with us in the future and please know that your comments about the room will be highly noted and discussed with the management staff.

Thank you.
Lincolnton, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

My wife and I love going to state parks with golf courses. I will say the course was very good. The resort something less. It sits right on Lake Blackshear. You can rent boats, go to a beach, fish. All of that is excellent. The rooms...well,we've had better. At one time they were probably very good but you can tell that they haven't been updated or maintained very well. When we booked, we requested a king but were given two full-sized beds. The room felt a little cramped with the two beds. The TV was an old tube TV with color problems. One of the phones didn't work (there were three phones). A serious problem was an outlet. One of the plugs worked and the other didn't. This was a little disconcerting as it probably meant something was broken in the outlet.

When we woke in the morning and started the coffee pot, it didn't work. I called the front desk and to their credit we had a new coffee make within 10 minutes. We were supposed to stay for 3 nights but we left for Destin, Fl after 1 night. (See my review of Candlewood Suites in Destin)

This resort could be an outstanding place if they would do some updating and repairs. I would like to come back in a year or so to see if anything has been done.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay with us at Lake Blackshear Resort and Golf Club. We pleased to hear that you enjoyed the activities we have here at Blackshear. Our golf course is a strong attraction and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the course. Just like the golf course, we try to meet the needs of our guest dealing with room accommodations and amenities. Since we are a 78 room resort with only 3 king rooms, it is hard to meet all request for king rooms. I apologize that we did not meet your standards in the amenities in the room. I have addressed the concerns with the specific room needs to our maintenance department and management team. Your comment about the Front Desk staff was also noted and I am glad they handled your request in a timely manner. Our goal is to please our guest's needs in every aspect of their experience at Lake Blackshear Resort and Golf Club, and we look forward for your next stay.

Thank you.
Suwanee, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Got this room via PRICELINE....
was a cheap room - but an expensive experience...
You drive through BUMP-Crap Georgia... out to the LAKE....
through a terrible neighborhood... to a place NOT LISTED
on GOOGLE MAPS or most GPS...

Then after you stay in the run-down rooms..
you get hit with a RESORT FEE (that PRICELINE Screws you on!) $7.56
on top of all the taxes and other fees...
SO...
unless you love BULL FROGS (there must be millions of them) and BUGS...Ga-zillions of them!
S T A Y A W A Y!!!

Room Tip: Choose any OTHER Hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jb4home
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations in regards to the resort. We are located outside a quiet interstate town and our front desk is open 24hours for directions and information about the resort. I am sorry if your GPS could not locate the exact location of our resort. Our resort is known for our southern charm and the outdoor amenities. We offer a relax experience with our lake front rooms and quiet surroundings for our guests.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

This is the second time my family and I have stayed at Lake Blackshear. Both times we stayed in one of the cabins right on the water. Our accommodations had two bedrooms, each with two double beds. We has a single bathroom, full kitchen and living room with TV. I am sad to say this time around, the cabins need work. The carpets are dirty and stained. The beds are old and the comforters were dingy and well worn. The vents were rusted and the kitchen is in desperate need of a makeover. Despite a clear need for about a 10,000 dollar renovation, you can't beat the price if you are willing to deal with shabby accommodations. The cabins are right on the lake with easy access to the boat ramp, marina, beach, playground and indoor/outdoor pool. The resort does have villas for rent. These are different from the cabins and I understand that they are one bedroom units with a kitchenette. I unfortunately cannot speak to their condition.

The common areas mentioned above are very nice-including the Cypress Grill restaurant located at the marina. The amenities is what saved the stay and this review!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank NikkiU
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at a cottage on the lake with a screened porch and fireplace. The property is pet friendly, and being able to bring the dog without additional charges was a definite benefit. The cottage was clean, well stocked, comfy furniture and beds, and an excellent view of the lake. It could use a bit of updating as far as the decorations go, but the price was right. Definitely will return!

Room Tip: Ask for cottage 1 or 2, quiet with best lake views.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SandraVoelker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cordele
Comfort Inn & Suites Cordele
Hampton Inn & Suites Cordele
Ramada Cordele
Ramada Cordele
#3 of 16 in Cordele
BEST WESTERN PLUS Windsor Hotel Americus
BEST WESTERN Colonial Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cordele North

Been to Lake Blackshear Resort and Golf Club? Share your experiences!