“Really disappointed - especially after reading the reviews here”
Review of Freeman' Low Country Fish Camp - CLOSED

Freeman' Low Country Fish Camp
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cary, North Carolina
“Really disappointed - especially after reading the reviews here”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We are new to the Covington area and are slowly trying to find the really 'good' places to eat. We love seafood and always look for the best local spot. We had driven by Freeman's several times, it always looked closed. They are actually closed on Mondays, but even the rest of the week the parking lot is almost empty.

Anyone born in the south has seen or eaten Low Country Boil, that wonderful big pot of potatoes, shrimp, corn, and link sausage cooked in seafood seasoning (usually Old Bay). the flavors mix and meld and when the result is poured out over a newspaper covered table, its just one of those wonderful experiences which makes for fond memories.

Do not waste your time or money ordering that from Freeman's. Actually I can't recommend spending any time or money here. The Low Country Boil was 3 pieces of potato (not even a whole potato) 2 pieces of kielbasa not more than an a half inch thick, 1 small corn on the cob (those quarter sizes) and about 6 shrimp........each of these components had been cooked separately in water - no season whatsoever. 1 very tiny biscuit......dry and old. And it was $13. It was served dumped onto what I affectionately remember eating off of the last time I was in a hospital, with absolutely no presentation whatsoever. That was my meal.

My husband ordered the Shrimp and Grits with Gravy. Again, the grits were cooked separately, the shrimp was cooked separately, and the gravy was dumped on top of the grits. The gravy tasted liked paste. No shrimp flavor to the grits at all - actually not much flavor to the grits at all. It was the most bland meal I think I've been served outside of a hospital.

So, for those of you who are return customers, either we caught them on a really bad night or our idea of good seafood is vastly different from yours. The seafood at Lakeview Restaurant down the road at Jackson Lake far exceeds anything we saw or ate here at Freeman's.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank gennymac

Covington, Georgia
“The best non Chain seafood in town”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

First off let me say this is a tough town for restaurants there's plenty of them, but few that are really outstanding.. We've eaten at Low Country maybe a half dozen times, and most likely will again, The Low Country Fish Camp is pretty much the only seafood in town that isn't a chain. The food is good if you take into consideration that we're 250 miles from the nearest salt water. I usually have the combination platter and it's pretty good, my wife usually has the shrimp and enjoys them, they seem a tad pricey for the area, I suspect that if they're pricing structure was more competitive business would be better. Service is just adequate even though the place is small and the parking is iffy at best, I got 2 door dings in their lot so the last time we ate there I parked across the street. The people seem friendly enough and I believe new in the restaurant biz,, but they're getting better.

1 Thank onesawb
Atlanta, Georgia
“Very Good Seafood”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We went with 2 other Couples and found the Seafood to be Excellent , I had one of the many Combination platters and the servings where very good , The grilled Shrimp was excellent with plenty of Hushpuppies, The Owner went out to get oranges slices for Beer's for my wife and her friend which was very nice

Jackson, Georgia
“Where The Fries”
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

I visited here for lunch. I am glad to see another seafood restaurant in the neighborhood. I ordered the catfish basket for $8.50 and a sweet tea.

When my very sweet waitress brought my catfish basket to my table, I thought wow , is this all. It was one catfish fillet, two cold chewy hushpuppies and slaw . Everywhere I have ordered a fish basket, it always came with fries. The fries would fill in the basket and make it look not so skimpy. The fries would only cost just a few cents and make the basket much more presentable.

The fish was good as was the slaw. I will visit again for dinner next time and try something different.

1 Thank Chuck C
Covington, Georgia
“all together good for off coast seafood”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

First thing we noticed when we walked in was that it was small. Nothing wrong with that we were just surprised by the number of people that we hear talk about it. There was only one waitress at lunch, but I think they dont get a big lunch crowd. The owner greeted us once he noticed the waitress was busy. Three tables were full and he asked if we wanted a booth or table. Because I dont care one way or the other I said either. He just stood there, so we walked to a table in the middle and sat down. I ordered catfish basket and my wife got oyster basket. The catfish was good but the oysters were to big for my taste but Im funny that way about oysters. Waitress was swamped by the time we left so we had to leave the cash on the table and leave.

• Visited April 2013