“Gross and Dirty”

Heavy's Barbecue
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Disgusting.
I had seen the signs while visiting so me, my husband and our daughter decided to give it a try. We are from South Florida and we really wanted some good BBQ.
We were so disappointed. I read a lot of good reviews so we were really looking forward to it but ugh!
We all got the 1/2 chicken meal which came with cole slaw and something called Brunswick Stew. It was all gross, the cole slaw in my opinion wasn’t too bad considering I hate cole slaw to begin with but I love pickles and I had never seen pickles in cole slaw before so I tried it (tried it but didn’t continue to eat it) My husband and daughter though it was gross and that it just tasted like pickles.
The "Brunswick Stew" was so bad that as I was trying to eat some of the chicken I kept getting whiffs of the smell of the stew which would make me gag, it tasted like some weird mixture of cornbeef hash, dog food, spam and probably left over animal parts. It was horrendous I just can’t believe it’s actually food that humans eat!
The chicken had no evidence or taste of having ever been smoked and the so called BBQ sauce was awful just awful. To be fair, from the reviews I have read it is apparently the way sauce is done up here but to me it was disgusting, maybe I’m just use to regular BBQ sauce that’s sweet, thick and savory. This was thin with pepper and who knows what else but it was the funkiest sauce I have ever tasted. We all just sat there pulling the chicken apart so we could get to the meat inside that had no sauce on it, that was all we ate.
So we left with full to go boxes (that I will see if my dogs will even touch) and empty tummys.
To me it was a waste of $35 bucks. Although the sweet tea was good and I normally don’t like sweet tea but it was really good.
As for the decor, yeah it was different very entertaining, we enjoyed looking at all the different things but does that mean you can’t dust or wipe things down with a wet rag? I mean there is no reason for it to be dirty like it was and I am talking dirty. They are only open on the weekends so they have all week to clean up and maybe get a soap dispenser in the bathroom instead of a community soap bar that as another reviewer said was so dry it looks like it hasn’t been used in years.
Worst food I have ever had and all around disappointing.
Would never go there again.

1  Thank lisa m

Reviewed 26 May 2012

We have travelled past Heavy's for years, and on our last trip decided to stop. interesting to see, we did not care for the BBQ, Brunswick stew or the coleslaw. We did not eat the Sunbeam bread on the table, the ice tea was good. The staff was friendly, but we would not go back.

1  Thank xmasatthebeach
Reviewed 15 January 2012

What a wonderful discovery! My Wife and I were traveling along I-20 near Crawfordville, GA and decided to stop for a bite to eat. We chose Heavy's since it appeared to be the only choice we saw for miles. We are thrilled that we made this stop.
The entire setting, inside and out, left us lost in amazement. It is a virtual museum of an era gone by in this area. There were numerous pieces of vintage farm equipment, Coca-Cola trucks, fire trucks, etc. to explore on the grounds. The interior is loaded with pieces of history from the area. Scenes from SWEET HOME ALABAMA were filmed there, which provides a hint of what one will encounter after entering. What a wonderful time we had exploring this place!
The Folks were wonderful to us. The Bar-B-Q's were outstanding! There were loaves of bread on each table. We ordered iced-tea and it was served in a pitcher by our waitress who instructed us to let her know if we needed it refilled. The prices were outstanding. What a nice experience for my Wife and me! Incredible!

2  Thank denmiller2003
Reviewed 2 December 2011

This is a great BBQ joint with a sauce that is a little different from the typical Georgia style, a little thinner and with more pepper. I personally like it but understand how some people might not. They are only open weekends. I always get the BBQ plate with stew which is very good. The sweet tea meets the standard and the interesting ambiance of stuff local animals and down home feel make for a relaxing experience. Right off I-20 between ATL and Augusta. I stop here often when traveling this route.

3  Thank D R
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Nice experience to see a rustic building. They need to offer more than the NC vinegar BBQ. Nice portions, mediocre BBQ, a bit pricey. Not going back.

1  Thank Michael B