“Wonderful experience”
Review of Greyfield Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cumberland Island
Greyfield Inn
Oslo, Norway
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I discovered this place by chance on the cover of a guide book. After some research I had the feeling this was THE island to visit in this area, and wow was I ever right!
The island:
The photos does not do it justice! Stunning in every way with beautiful spanish moss and divine beaches. One day on the beach we saw wild hores and dophins frolicking. Don't miss the excursions they offer - a wonderful way to experience the island.
The hotel:
Most of the rooms don't offer ensuite, but we booked their premier suite and it was wonderful. Ensuite, of course, but also spacious and beautifully appointed. The hotel encourages commune dining, but private tables are happily arranged upon request. Food was good but not great. However the service was. I think the best thing about the hotel is the old world charm. It is like no other hotel and I was truly sorry to leave.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Missy2011Oslo_Norway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
south carolina
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This was an excellent place to have a friend reunion with my friend of 40 years. We had the second floor twin room facing the marsh. A beautiful large sunny room with lovely marsh views. Saw the horses and turkeys from our room as well. The 4 hour tour of the north end is highly recommended. Make sure you tour the south end as well with Barbara. The naturalist, Barbara, is excellent and a wealth of knowledge. The staff and owners were exceptional and extremely kind and caring and tentative to all our needs. The breakfast were good, lunches were picnic baskets packed with salads, sandwiches,chips, fruit and dessert. Cocktail hour with appetizers were enjoyed on the relaxing porch meeting new friends. Dinner was very nice as well. My only complaint was too much red meat. If I went back, I would probably request a turkey sandwich rather that the roast beef that was served both days for lunch. I am not a fan of lamb and was served that one night. I am not a picky eater at all, but would make a dietary request next visit. I personally try not to eat red meat.
The salads were fresh from their organic garden. Make time to explore their lovely garden.
Shelling is incredible. Bike riding all around the island, kayaks, many nature tours, hikes, socializing and reading on the porch. Great area for bird watching. Highly recommend this unspoiled gem!

Room Tip: Make sure you go over your dietary needs before you arrive. There is a set menu. If shared bathroo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank chichiSouthCarolina
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Spent two nights at the Greyfield Inn on Cumberland Island and everything was first class. From the moment we stepped on the ferry we were treated like royalty (or to be historically accurate, like a Carnegie!). Bags were taken to our room, a picnic lunch was made for us, we were given a short tour of the main house and we were given maps and directions for a walk through the maritime forest and on the beach. No question went unanswered. Meals were very good with the highlight being the cocktail hour with appetizers (roasted oysters on Saturday night) and an excellent dinner. Full breakfasts in the morning and hot soup with picnic lunch. Tours of the island were excellent and included with the price of the room. There are wild horses all over the place but not a great deal of other wildlife, at least that I saw. Maybe the best thing about Greyfield was the other guests - a very eclectic and interesting group of people. Because of the communal dining arrangements and group tours, it was easy to meet and talk with the other guests.

Room Tip: We had the south room of the South Cottage and it was quiet and comfortable with a separate bathroom...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank daveofga
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 1 March 2012

This is an awesome place and I second almost all wonderful things people have said. However, I found the staff wanting. I find asking the cleaning girl and kitchen help for guidance offputting. I also found a number of them not to be that friendly although many also were trying to at least be pleasant. Others actually ignored us, not even offering a smile. I got the impression people weren't that happy working there. Jenny Lake Lodge in the Grand Tetons is a luxury inn staffed also all by young people and they were the complete opposite. The Greyfield innkeepers should visit this site to learn a few things. Everyone knew your name from the minute you arrived and greeted you by name and always with a smile and a good day comment. There also was a front desk person who was always there to help you. Not at Greyfield. You are on your own after a brief orientation. The inn keeper briefly introduced herself to me and then quickly left the room. She didn't even tell me she was the inn keeper or that I could ask her for anything. Also, Greyfield as well as some other hotels now have a policy of charging you $50 to CHANGE reservation dates. I changed my dates by about a week over 30 days before my arrival and no one told me on the phone I would receive this fee. I did find it later in small print on the website. Also, the dinner is with all guests sitting at the diningroom table which was alot of fun. A young couple asked to eat alone outside and they charged them $35! With the prices they are charging I found both these incidents added a feeling of "lack of hospitality and graciousness" . Still an awesome place but I can't give it 5 stars. It would take so little for them to add a more customer service friendly atmosphere.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
19 Thank pam w
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Staying at Greyfield Inn on Cumberland Island is a unique experience. My husband and I spent our days walking and biking the three different ecosystems of Cumberland Island: salt marshes, maritime forest and beach. Our first morning, we woke early, grabbed freshly brewed coffees, and set out with the naturalist for our 'private' early morning tour to see wildlife and the historic sights. (No one else was on the morning tour that day.) We returned to the inn just in time for hot breakfast. During our brief visit, we saw bottlenose dolphins, white deer, wild horses, turkeys, and numerous seabirds. The Atlantic Ocean is a very short walk from the inn. The beach is beautiful. We felt we had the beach to ourselves, as we didn't see a single person during an afternoon of shelling.
Service was impeccable and unobtrusive. From the ferry dock, one of the staff drove us in a golf cart on the short path from the dock to the inn. Our luggage was brought to our room while we were getting a brief tour of the inn and the grounds. Nightly turn down service, performed during dinner, provided freshening of the room and a weather forecast and tide schedule for the following day. Beach towels, bicycles, snacks and drinks were always available.
We stayed in the library room. I did want to stay in a room that did not have a shared bath. The room was lovely. As might be expected, the bathroom was functional but somewhat old-fashioned (free standing bathtub with 360 degrees of shower curtains and overhead shower head). Hot water and water pressure were never a problem.
The hot breakfasts and picnic lunches were delicious. The dinners weren't as great. If the Greyfield Inn dining room were a stand-alone restaurant, I don't think I would go back. The entrees on both nights were edible but were not prepared well. On one evening, we had duck that was very tough with lentils that were undercooked. There is not a choice of entrees with meals. Also, because all the guests sit at several large tables, dinner companions and their personalities can be variable. Our preference would have been to dine alone together.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay at Greyfield Inn and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank grendelpuppy
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Visiting the Greyfield Inn in January, my sister and I were fortunate with beautiful days even if morning beach walks/rides were a bit foggy. The entire staff was most hospitable and gracious. Meals were delicious and the picnic lunches with hot soup were enjoyed in different outside locations. Daily tours with Barbara were excellent and she was extremely knowledgable about both island history plus local flora and fauna. In addition, the staff was most pleasant and interested in Flatso, my traveling nurigarumi usagi pal. (That's stuffed rabbit but don't tell Flatso. After being to the top of Mt. Fuji, he's "real.")

Room Tip: Our Porch room accomodations were quiet with some early morning views of roaming turkeys.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Travel100Countries
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Because of its unusual status, the Greyfield Inn offers a unique experience for those who enjoy the beauty of nature and an elegant place to stay and eat. The island is a National Wildlife Refuge, and it abounds with wild horses, turkeys, armadillos, alligators, and many types of birds and sea creatures. The main house was previously a private residence, and the family still run it. It is the only place to stay on the island, other than the campground.

One can spend a day on the pristine beach, or biking, fishing, or kayaking in the beauty and solitude of this amazing island. The Inn provides a delicious breakfast in the main house, and picnic lunches for guests, who can enjoy them wherever they wish. Dinner is an event, and the men must wear jackets. The women dress in nice casual style, and the conversation and food are both delightful. The staff is excellent, attentive but not intrusive, and the rooms are comfortable without being stuffy. For anyone who likes something other than the typical "golf resort" experience, the Greyfield Inn provides a topnotch alternative.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank littletoby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cumberland Island
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#3 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
#1 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Riverview Hotel
Riverview Hotel
#2 of 4 in St. Marys

Been to Greyfield Inn? Share your experiences!