“Nice surprise”

and 1 more site!
The Smith House
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Dahlonega
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stay on 7-30-14. After planning a visit with friends that live in the area, we decided to stay nearby instead of spending 3 hours for more driving. We had eaten at The Smith House a while back (yum) but had never stayed overnight there. I reserved a room for the night by calling and speaking with Michael. It was an easy, efficient and pleasant interaction. Upon our arrival, we found we had been upgraded due to an issue with our original room. We were given the "best room" on the property. It was a beautiful suite with separate sitting / dressing area and a huge bath. Didn't get to enjoy the tub. Did use the large walk in shower that was wonderful with controls for one shower head on a cord to be hand held if desired and also a fixed rain shower head above that I really enjoyed. The room was quiet and very comfortable. Hate we only had one night to enjoy it. Our friends made our dinner plans elsewhere, but the location of The Smith House allowed us to walk around the great Dahlonega Square, visit the shops and do some wine tastings and be just an easy walk back to our room. We made sure our friends came by to see our accommodations so they could recommend it to visitors in the future. Michael and others at The Smith House were very nice to us and we certainly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed in one of the Smith House's two bedroom villas on the square. Room was in need of some upgrading, but the bedding and pillows were amazing, providing one of the most restful sleeping experiences I've enjoyed outside of my home. Great porch with rockers off the living room overlooking the square made the evening enjoyable. Just a good atmosphere to spend time with a glass of wine visiting with friends or a loved one.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed at The Smith House for a family wedding and were blown away. The lovely hotel is nestled in a beautiful mountain community with lots to do. Our room was comfortable, as well as roomy and beautiful. We were walking distance to boutique shopping and lovely outdoor venues. If we are ever in the area again, The Smith House will be at the top of our list to return to!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed at The Smith House the evening of my rehearsal dinner, the night before my wedding day. I would definitely stay again. The room was very clean and pleasant - nice furniture, decor and linens. The feel is very quaint and homey, totally unlike the sterile feel that is common in chain hotels. It is located in the heart of Downtown Dahlonega, near many restaurants and shops.

I also highly recommend the restaurant. It's where my rehearsal dinner was held. Excellent service and delicious food - Southern food at it's finest!

Thank you The Smith House for being such wonderful, hospitable hosts!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights to celebrate my birthday. I had read about the inn in a book called Historic Hotels in America, which I recommend to travelers looking for classic high-quality lodging across the U.S. Our room was in the carriage house, which was lovely. The bed was so comfortable, and the toiletries first-rate.

The Smith House offers a continental breakfast, which we ate outside on the charming front porch that wraps around the front of the inn. We decided to eat dinner there the first nigh, knowing it was served family-style, which is a rarity these days. The price was $17.95 and included a couple of meats, a nice selection of vegetables, dessert, and a drink. No alcohol is served here, but "adult" beverages are offered in many restaurants around the town square.

The food was good, and the wait staff were attentive. However, the dining room could use some updating as it reminded me of a camp dining hall. I think the meal was overpriced by $3 or $4, but it was convenient and quick.

Dahlonega is a fabulous little town with lots of shops (great antiques at reasonable prices), bars, and restaurants and TWO candy stores!

Room Tip: Rooms in the carriage house are more private.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Powellpair
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Me and my husband celebrated our 1-year wedding anniversary at the Smith House, we stayed overnight in room 14. It was WONDERFUL. The bathtub, the shower, the bed. I was not expecting it to be as nice. I was thinking old historic. I admit I was wrong. They even have Blvgari soaps and lotions. We will go back every year.

Room Tip: Rooms 14 is awesome.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KATE S
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My wife carried me to Dahlonega for my birthday to relax. It was perfect. The room we stayed in had a wonderful bed and great bathroom and shower. The staff was very pleasant. I would recommend for couples wanting a bit of relaxation by browsing shops and enjoying sitting on the porch. We really hated going back home to the busy life in the city.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zjrc31
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dahlonega
Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center
Amicalola Falls Lodge
Amicalola Falls Lodge
#1 of 4 in Dawsonville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Helen

Been to The Smith House? Share your experiences!