Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center
  • Restaurant
The Smith House(Dahlonega)
Park Place Hotel(Dahlonega)
View Hotel
Golf Club Villas(Marble Hill)
Motel Inn(Dahlonega)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe secret gardenhorseback ridinghot tubcarriage ridepicnic lunchget awaymy husband and iour honeymoonbuffet stylebear's densecluded cabinback porchgift shopmountain resortromantic getawaythe ritzporch swing
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We planned a fourth of July get away for our family. The staff was courteous and helpful. We stayed in the Mountain laurel lodge #11. Our room was clean and comfortable. If you are looking for luxury this is not the place for you. This was a country get away. No television channels but we did have working wi-fi.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Me and my fiance went to this resort on july 3- july 5 2013. We stayed at the mountain laurel inn, which is a bi- level. The room was very neat and clean. The big garden tub, with jets was amazingly relaxing. The staff was very helpful, and we had free breakfast with the vacation package that we chose. Everything was exactly as it appeared on thier facebook page... This spot where we were was very secluded and very peaceful... I would recommend that you make sure you bring a cooler and plenty of cold cuts if you are not planning on spending a lot of money buying food,, cause you will have to drive about 13 miles to the city if you need anything,,, other than that the place is perfect and the name forrest hills stands up to its name FOR-REST HILLS,,, a good weekend getaway. THIS WAS THE BEST $260 I SPENT AND IT WAS WELL WORTH IT.. THEY ARE VERY REASONABLE WITH THIER PRICES,, SO IF YOU ARE ON A BUDGET COME HERE TO FORRESTHILL RESORT,, THEY HAVE ALL KINDS OF ACTIVITIES FOR THE KIDS AND EVEN A SWIMMING POOL WAGON RIDES AND PLENTY MORE!!!! M. Dudley,,,Decatur Ga

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My husband and I planned a last minute get away to celebrate our 18th wedding anniversary. We found this place through a Google search. We spoke to someone at the "resort" and they were very friendly and told us about everything that would be included in our package. We went ahead and booked it, packed our bags and headed out. Shame on us for not checking TripAdvisor before we booked this place. We checked in and the staff in the front office was friendly. As we drove back to our cabin there were hardly any other cars. It started to seem like we were the only ones there. That worried me a little. We opened the door to our cabin and were hit with this horrible musty smell...it was awful. We turned on the lights and the place just had a dark, dank feel. The décor...especially the carpet, was so dated. I had this feeling of such disappointment. The little hot tub room seemed decent. I went to feel the water because I was looking forward to a soak and would have liked to have gotten in right away, but the water was COLD. Then I read that you had to turn the heater on and wait about 90 minutes for it to warm up? What?! You'd think they'd have it ready when they know someone is about to check in. We had a few minutes to kill before dinner so we decided to turn on the TV...it didn't get ANY channels!! In fact there was no internet and not even a phone in the cabin. So we sat out on the porch to get away from the smell. The porch was okay...but just seemed kind of neglected. The whole place was very dated. The carpet was stained and the countertop was peeling. ON a couple of the light switches, the switch was missing and there was just a metal thing sticking out that you moved up and down. We went to dinner and it was actually okay. The food was decent and the people there were friendly. We picked up one of the free movies from the gift shop and headed back to our dark, dank, smelly cabin. I dreaded the thought that we were going to have to spend two nights there. We did get into the hot tub and that was nice. The bed was actually comfortable, so at least we slept pretty well. As soon as I woke up, I wanted to take a quick soak in the hot tub again. I tested the water with my toes and it was COLD again!!! Had to wait another 90 minutes for it to heat up, so of course I didn't have time. We went to breakfast and it was decent. We had massages scheduled for 10:00. The spa is located in the huge, kind of creepy house. I just got this eerie feeling when we walked inside. Thankfully, the spa area, through a door was very nice. The two ladies who did our massages, were friendly, but the massages were nothing special at all. I cringe at the fact at we paid $160 plus a $20 tip for such a mediocre experience. After that we went to downtown Dahlonega. We had a nice time there...cute town with fun shops and restaurants. As we sat there eating lunch, we started talking about how the last thing we wanted to do was go back to that dark, dank, smelly cabin. Thankfully, an issue came up at home that we needed to tend to, so we went back to the cabin and packed up as quickly as we could and got out of there. We had hoped to get some of our money back since we didn't stay the second night, but they would only offer us a $100 credit towards another stay and we definitely don't want to go back. The lady did say they would give us a $20 credit for the breakfast we didn't get to eat since we didn't stay the second night. We definitely do not recommend this place to anyone. Our cabin was described as a "luxury" cabin...the ONLY thing luxury about this cabin was the price. There are MANY other options for $174.00 per night. I feel sick to my stomach when I think that we just spent a little over $600 for our "luxury getaway." I've never been so glad to get back to my own home!! There are many others that have stayed here that have had an experience similar to ours...actually many were worse than ours. Be sure to read them before you make your decision to book at this "resort."

Room Tip: We do not recommend that you choose any room at this establishment. Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Kim V
resortowner1, Owner at Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

It is unfortunate when a guest posts things like this without discussing any issue of any nature to anyone at the resort. When I spoke to her on the phone yesterday she said she had an issue to arise at home causing her to leave a night early on a sold out holiday. While it is our policy to not offer a refund for early departures I did offer a credit towards a future stay out of good will.

The hot tub is a dedicated, cedar-lined 12x16 room with a 350 gallon hot tub and floor to ceiling windows and bamboo shades. This room is separated from the bedroom by french doors. Since we completely drain, sanitize and refill the hot tub for each guest it's important they know it is fresh water. We typically recommend they turn it on as they are settling in and it normally takes less than an hour to heat up.

We get rave reviews about our massage therapists and if you ever feel you don't get the service you expected it is customary not to tip and to let the poor service be known to management.

More often than not, our guests leave feeling happy and relaxed and can't wait to come back. If everyone that loved Forrest Hills posted their comments on here it would be very difficult to find ones like these. We take comments like these personally and it is our desire that all guests have a great time. We encourage you to come and find out for yourself if you think we might be a great place to try. Should you find anything wrong we would want you to let us know about it right away. Thank you for listening.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Last month my wife and I booked a Thursday-Saturday anniversary trip in their hotel/lodge/conference center building. The staff in the office were nice...but when we got to the lodge that evening the place was completely empty. No staff. No guests. No hallway light. No other lights on the entire wing. The door to the parking lot was broken and had been jimmied. Weeds and brush around door and handicap ramp.The two suites next to ours had open doors. We made it into our suite and found it worn yet clean (they had kindly replaced the broken microwave earlier) but severely dated (maybe original 80s or 90s wallpaper and paint?). No phones. No cable.

We spent the first night in complete isolation ( ever see The Shining?). In the morning we went to breakfast (average buffet) and dined with a handful of cottage dwellers. Afterwards we went to the office and canceled the rest of our visit. We paid some over $300 for the suite and anniversary add-ons (we received a bottle of low-budget champagne and breakfast, skipped the dinner remaining breakfasts).

The agents in the office couldn't understand our wanting to leave. They hit our credit card for about $225.

At no time were we upset or discourteous, nor were they. Bottom line, we didn't spend the night in a resort like any we've ever seen and the agents were in denial about their facilities.

Nice people. Not a resort.

Room Tip: Hallways in the other (downhill) wing may have lights.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Doc_W_Rome
resortowner1, Owner at Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Being a family owned business we want all of our guests to have the experience they are hoping for. With 100 rooms on 140 acres it is easy to feel like you are the only one here even though we have many guests on site. If you're looking for peace and quiet we are definitely the place for you but if you are looking to be surrounded by people, clubs and distractions when you come as a couple, you may want to keep looking.

The rooms look just like what we have on our website. The majority of our guests think our photos don't even do our place justice but there are a few that have envisioned something different which is why we ask what it is that they didn't like. We also always welcome an advance tour when in doubt.

This guest purchased a romance package which included multiple options and even though they were here on a 2nd night free offer, we did a partial refund in the hopes of making them happy.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We booked a wedding package there for our daughter. We did preview the cabins. They were rustic. The cabins that we booked however were not available to view because there were guests in them. We stayed in Wren, Robin and #6. We arrived early since it was for a wedding and our rehearsal was moved to 2 pm because they booked another wedding when we were suppose to have our rehearsal. We were told that we could most likely check in early because at that time there was no one in the cabins prior to our arrival. I also prepaid for everything except for the chuckwagon ride/dinner that we booked last minute. They told us cabins were clean and ready and that some keys were missing so housekeeping must be doing last minute check up since they were not occupied before us. We went to the first cabin (wren) and found mushrooms growing out of the carpet and dead scorpions in the hot tub. The rest of the cabin was not very clean. Robin was a little better. We then went to #6we found the cleaning staff still there. We told them about the issues with Robin and Wren and then unloaded our stuff at Robin so we could freshen up before rehearsal. after the rehearsal we went back to the cabins and and they were a little better. #6 was cleaner than the rest but I think they just remove the mushrooms and scorpions and that was it. The cabins were dirty, cob webs in corners, and did I mention scorpions? yes we found at least 6 live scorpions between Wren and Robin. I was afraid to let my grand kids (10 mo. and 2) play on the floor. i know what rustic is. My in laws owned and ran a fishing resort in MN for years. It was old and rustic with old furnishings. But it was very clean and well maintained. However, we tried to make the best of it. We were very busy with rehearsal, rehearsal dinner and the wedding at 12:30 the next day. The wedding went well the food was great but we did feel a little rushed to get out of the secret garden room. We were told we had til 4 but they were cleaning up and boxing cake well before 3:30 while we were outside taking additional pictures. My husband father of the bride never even got cake. They also asked if we wanted the leftover food boxed up but we never got the food. I should have checked the boxes before leaving because it was all cake. Not a big deal we had the chuck wagon ride/dinner in a few hours. My daughter felt that the wedding planner that day disappeared frequently. I was disappointed with the way she introduced the wedding party. "Ladies and Gentlemen, The wedding Party" . She had notes with every bodies names. She could have used them. The chuck wagon ride was great the food was great and the girls who ran it very friendly. But upon our return to the cabins more scorpions. Our son fell asleep on the couch and put his hand under a pillow in his sleep and woke up to extreme pain in his finger only to find a scorpion under the pillow. Luckily we had googled scorpions in GA and found that scorpions found in North America are not deadly. We packed up, went to breakfast and the food was once again very good. We were approached by an older gentleman who asked how our stay was. Turns out he was the previous owner who had sold the place to his children. Very nice gentleman. We contemplated mentioning our disappointments with the place but decided against it since he no longer owned the place. We did tell the front desk about the cabins cleanliness and the scorpion issue and they just told us they would have to call the exterminator. What Forrest Hills needs is a good old fashioned scrubbing from top to bottom inside and out in all the cabins and a little attention to some needed repairs and this place would be a gem. So the final straw and reason I decide to write this review was the additional charge to my credit card I found for $200 that I did not sign for or authorize in any way shape or form. I am currently waiting for Kathy to arrive so I can find out what the charge was for. Apparently there is no way for anyone to access my account info to tell me about the charge.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family