“Terrible experience”

Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Dahlonega
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Made reservation for a special weekend celebration with my husband. I booked the romance package with massage, dinner, wine tasting, wine/cheese, etc. I was really excited when they called me back and said they were upgrading me to a deluxe cabin with a hot tub. The office staff were very friendly. We got to the cabin and was immediately disappointed. We thought we would make the most of it for the first night then talk to management the next day. First we had maintenance come check the TV and the hot tub while we drove into Dahlonega. We got back to the cabin around 1:30 am. Carpets were stained. Very musty old smell. Hot tub was freezing even after 6-7 hours. Mold in the shower. Of course I've stayed in cabins before but nothing was worse than this. When I turned down the bed there was 2 roachs running across the bed under the comforter. As I was changing clothes at the end of the bed, I was bit by a SCORPION. We called the on call maintenance who is not on the property. There is no management or any employees on the property after the office closes. They asked what they needed to do. I asked to talk to a manager which I was told they could not call until the next morning. We immediately left the property and drove all the way back to Atlanta. I contacted the office at 8:00 am to let them know we had left and the situation. I was told they had been having problems with scorpions this year. Why haven't they done something about them then? Finally the owner called me around 2:00 pm. The owner tried to tell me that was typical of cabins. Absolutely not! I requested my money back. Finally 4 days later it was refunded to my account, but she took out $161.50 for the bottle of wine and cheese. Sounds reallly expensive for that bottle of wine. The only thing we did there was get the wine and only in the room for an hour at the most. Totally disappointed!!!!! They also do not typcially give extra towels or pillows or anything either.

Room Tip: Pictures can be deceiving. Need to look at room/cabin before the office closes.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank shar2714

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I sent my Son and his wife on their Honeymoon last year in June, by looking at the see website only I was very impressed than I made the call the staff was just beautiful & customer service great. When my Son called me and told me how beautiful it was now this year they blessed me with a beautiful grandson. I just want to come to relax no more children for me just enjoying my grandchildren. God Bless You All and Keep Up the good work & and it's no harm to say Thank You!

was

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We had a family reunion with 45 members of our family. If you like the outdoors, then this is the place for you. Plenty to do from horseback riding, white water rapids, hiking trails, and all the quite you would ever want.
Lodge was basic, but nice and rooms had two beds with an additional pull-out. Some of the rooms were a little musty, but nothing a little allergy pills wouldn't fix.
A lot of activities within 20-30 min in the car. We went to the gold mine in Dahlonega, Georgia Racing Hall of Fame, Zip-lines, moonshiners museum, and outlet shopping. I little bit of activities for everyone.

Room Tip: If you get meals with your room package, stay close to the restaurant; otherwise its a long walk for...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Josh12_12
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I must first say the staff is extremely friendly, attentive and efficient. I have stayed in 4 + star hotels that could learn something from their staff. If you want to go for a blissfully quiet weekend/vacation with the chance to feel like it's just you and your mate and still have the ability to have amenities such as a nice clean pool, horseback riding, and some very good food (and the CHOICE of a kid free a dining room this is the place for you). The resort is also very kid friendly but have it set up where the divide is perfect for your personal needs & wants. Our cabin was clean, spacious and had a hot tub that was properly cleaned and "treated" which was a great plus. This was a surprise for my birthday & they took care of every wish my husband had before we arrived.

Room Tip: Let the person know what you want, we requested a quiet cabin with hot tub - NO KIDS & they plac...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Visited for our anniversary, and had an excellent time. Lots of good hiking and sightseeing, excellent breakfast (and meals in general, if you eat there), served buffet style. Comfortable bed, hot tub with temperature settings so that you can set it up to your heat preference. 20-minute drive to Dahlonega to eat out is a bit of a problem, but full kitchenette meant that we could bring food in and eat in the cabin if we didn't want to go out on a day. Beautiful area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was the best retreat we have ever been on as a staff! We were treated like kings and queens from the second we walked through the door. The staff was nice and so accommodating. The rooms were spacious and clean. The conference area was perfect for the sessions we needed to accomplish. The food was impeccable. Everyone was impressed. Many staff members mentioned they will come back on their personal time with their family! No complaints, we will surely come back next year! A+++ :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Daniel S
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We recently visited Forrest Hills as a couple celebrating our anniversary. I'll start with the great things about this "resort:" the food! Breakfast and dinner were included in our $170 a night cabin stay. The secret garden was an area where couples-only could dine. Despite the outdated decorations and furniture, eating here was relaxing and quiet. The food was delicious and you're guaranteed to get full. The king canopy bed in our cabin was also great - very comfortable, slept very well! The location was also nice, although no satisfactory views from our cabin. It was a short drive away from some hiking and nice views however. The bad: The cabin was very musty. The de-humidifier was off when we first walked in, only because it was full. We emptied it and it immediately turned back on (very loud) and continued until becoming full, about every 6 hours throughout our stay. I know it's because of the hot tub in the cabin, however the hot tub did not work correctly to make it worth it. We were instructed to turn the tub on an hour and a half before getting in, but when we went to get in, the water was so hot we could not comfortably leave even our legs in it. We ended up adding cold water through a switch under the sink until it was almost overflowing so the temperature was bearable. We found several bugs in our cabin in the few days, fortunately they were dead. I suppose this is expected given the in-the-woods location. I hope this review helps you decide! I need to also mention that this was a last minute decision to stay, and many other mountain cabins were already booked for the weekend. If you're running into this problem, just make the best of Forrest Hills - we have fond memories of our trip despite the downfalls.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kelly P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dahlonega
Amicalola Falls Lodge
Quality Inn Dahlonega
Quality Inn Dahlonega
#7 of 8 in Dahlonega
Comfort Inn & Suites Blue Ridge

Been to Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!