“Not a Luxury Resort”

Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Dahlonega
Reviewed 22 March 2010

This property fills a quirky niche, but if you are expecting Sea Island or The Greenbrier you will be very disappointed. Our "luxury" cabin had an indoor hot-tub but was dated, poorly maintained and musty. No maid service during our two-day stay. You maybe pick up Channel 2 from Atlanta but there is otherwise no television signal in the rooms. WiFi was allegedly available in the Conference Center but did not work for me. No phone, much less internet, in the cabin. The food was all buffet-style and mediocre at best. Dinner is served only until 8:30 and there is no room service. On the plus side, the staff was uniformly very nice and this is an area of North Georgia worth visiting. Many prior reviewers apparently don't care about phones and Wi-Fi and television and maybe for them it interferes with the whole concept of getting away, but the point is you would find all of those at a legitimate luxury resort. The most disappointing thing about Forrest Hils was that it did not come anywhere near the image portrayed on its website. It may appeal to some travelers, but it's not a particularly good value for what you get.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gatorator

Reviewed 1 March 2010

We stayed for several days at Forrest Hills. It was wonderful!!! We have referred our friends. They had a great time also. We are going back soon.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2010

We had to finally comment on For-rest Hills Mountain Resort, after our 5th stay there since 2006. If you are looking for a cozy, romantic, and quiet place-this is it! The staff treats you like family, and the home cooked meals are to die for!! We've only had great, memorable times together there for a B-day celebration, two Valentine's Day, and this last trip was just a great escape from our crazy, hectic life. And, it delivered!
Joanne, Dee and ALL the staff should be proud of their establishment.
We plan to visit the resort every year and make new memories with our adopted family!!
The girls from Tampa-Sharon & Sissy!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dreamtravelergirls
Reviewed 27 December 2009

I enjoyed this resort three different times; the first being in Feb. 09 and stayed in one of the luxury suites which was awesome. The next time was the end of summer and the horseback ride through the forrest was a real treat. Thirdly, I stayed with a large group of women on a church retreat. The lodges we stayed at this time were rustic and cozy with all the ammenities we needed; loved the fire-places and even took a dip in the outdoor hot tub in the month of November. The food was good Southern cooking and much to choose from for the picky eater. The conference center was elegant and just right for our needs. The resort has a homey (away from home feel) with the barn cats and dog; they were very friendly but minded their own business when you wanted them to. This is a place I will bring my husband and children; I even took home with me some beautiful fall leaves for my young daughter. The staff at Forrest Hills was very friendly and were prompt about taking care of any of our needs. If you are looking for the Hilton Head then you'd probably better go there and leave this little treasure to those of us who enjoy the fresh mountain air and the simpler enjoyment of life. If you are in to photography, you'll enjoy the panorama of picturesque sites. There was plenty of close shopping with the quaint little town of Dahlonega and in Dawsonville, the GA-400 Outlet. We also visited the small church of Christ while we were there and filled the pews. The preaching was sound biblical teaching and the people were sincere and delightful. Hope you enjoy this resort as much as I did; what are you waiting for?

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 December 2009

I know that some have written some rather harsh comments on this resort, but I would like to say that I enjoyed my stay. We came with a church group and the lodges we stayed in were very rustic. They are not top of the line hotel rooms, but that's not what we came for. We needed a place to sleep and have our retreat. The conference center was wonderful and very clean. The rooms were clean, but in the woods you do encounter some of nature that will at times come into your rooms. Any time we had to call on the maintenance crew, they were very pleasant and fixed any problems with expedience. I was fortunate to stay in one of the other lodges before this stay and it was like an up scale hotel. It just depends on what you are looking for. If you want luxury, let them know but you will pay a little bit more. If you are looking for a "camping" / "lodge" style or an inexpensive place, they have that too. The food was fine. There aren't a lot of choices, but the dinning area doesn't have a whole lot of room to set up a big buffet. You had enough choices that everyone could find something that they would eat. When you have a buffet style you don't always get an upscale menu, but the food was fine and was hot and ready when we got there. I would have liked a larger selection, but the area wouldn't have held us all if the buffet was bigger. I thought that everyone who we contacted for help was always willing to make thing right. I would give this resort a 5 or 6 on this experience. I wasn't disappointed because I wasn't looking for a hotel to spend a lot of time in. The conference center was where we spent most of our time during the day and in the evening we all were able to sit around the fires (which the wood was set out for us) and enjoy conversation and games. I thank Forrest Hils for making this retreat relaxing and would go back again.

• Stayed: November 2009
Reviewed 17 December 2009

Forrest Hills was a beautiful place tucked in the mountains. The surroundings were very calm and serene. I went with a group of ladies for a retreat. We staying in 2 large lodges. The lodges were not 5 star but they were not expected to be. They were a little old, however the maintainence staff was very attentive. They constantly helped and were at our beckoned call. There were a couple of issues with bugs, but...hello...we were in the mountains!!! The conference center was great! It was praivate, quite, and very nice. The hot tub was wonderful too! I had a great weekend and would take the group back next year in a heart beat.

• Stayed: November 2009
Reviewed 18 November 2009

I went with a group of ladies for a church retreat. The rooms were damp, smelly, and bug-ridden. This place is one step up from a 4H camp. The dining room pretty much serves its dishes straight from a can. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I hope to save others from such a poor experience. I would NOT recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
6  Thank lms326
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dahlonega
Amicalola Falls Lodge
Days Inn Dahlonega
Days Inn Dahlonega
#3 of 8 in Dahlonega
The Dahlonega Square Hotel & Villas

Been to Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!