“Excellent Cuisine In a Unique Atmosphere”
Review of The Oar House - CLOSED

The Oar House
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are an Event Venue on the River. Groups, Weddings, Corporate events or any event
Savannah, Georgia
“Excellent Cuisine In a Unique Atmosphere”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stopped by on a Saturday to grad a late lunch/early dinner. We were greeted promptly and elected to sit at a table overlooking the river on their patio. Very scenic. Our server was very sweet, took a few minutes to tell us about the specials but we did come in at that transition period between lunch and dinner so no big deal. Good selection of beer and wine (including some local wines which I like) and a wonderful looking menu. We got two salads and the house dressing (a blueberry vinaigrette) was outstanding. Cup of the soup de jour (a mushroom bisque that had three different types of mushrooms) was excellent and featured big pieces of mushroom. Main courses )stuffed mushroom and a special made chicken scampi) were excellent as well. Highly recommend the scampi dish! The chicken was tender and juicy and the sauce delicate and full of flavor. Finished up with the rum cake that was a perfect way to end the evening! Service was good throughout the evening although knowledge of the menu seemed to be lacking just a bit. Overall an excellent evening.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Emily S
Jeff M, Owner at The Oar House, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you Emily. It is our pleasure to serve you. I'm happy you enjoyed it.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Understaffed. It took an hour to get our food, coffee was luke warm. Steak was just ok. Waitress was great but you could tell she was stressed. I won't go back.

• Visited March 2014
Clarkesville, Georgia
“Didn't even get to eat- we left because the place was so terrible.”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We made reservations days before and online. When the reservations were made, we received a conformation email saying we needed to take no other action and we were set. I work in the food industry and love going to high end restaurants. So on Valentines day, we are getting ready to leave for a planned day in Dahlonega and we found an email from the owners saying our reservations were cancelled and they had only two openings. We called and they didn't even have those openings, so we had no choice but to be sat at 8:30pm. Not to mention they were very rude about it like it was our fault. At first, we thought it wasn't going to be bad, thought it would be more romantic, but it was a hassle to figure everything out and then our entire days plans were shifted
Well when we got to the Oar House, the parking was terrible. We had to park in "overflow parking" which is a big empty field with no lights. I almost twisted my ankle with the lack of light and abundance branches everywhere.
We get inside and wait for the hostess. We came early (8pm) in hopes we would be sat as soon as our reservation time came. We noticed it was packed. Literally like sardines in a can. After a few minutes she comes up, obviously stressed, and tells us that it will be 30 minutes. So we were very hopeful because that was our reservation time. But I began to be distressed by the volume of the restaurant because under my impression by the price, it was supposed to be a very quiet and quaint place for romantic couples. They were even running a (highly overpriced) "special" that night.
After finding some chairs, we started to wait and I begin studying the layout of the restaurant and the surroundings. The kitchen was on the opposite side to the dinning room with the waiting room in the middle. So you could hear everything in the kitchen and waitresses were running though the lobby and running into people that were packed into the lobby. I turned around to look into the dining room and people are sat right on top of each other. The decor is nothing of what I expected. There were CHRISTMAS LIGHTS that looked rather tacky.
Then I noticed the restrooms to my left had a table in front of them with the silverware laying out in the plastic dingy silverware caddies. RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE RESTROOMS. They were grabbing out of the trays as they needed the flatware. One waitress cut her finger grabbing a knife out of there and it absolutely disgusted me that they didn't even take the flatware back to wash it in the dish washer. It takes 2 minutes to do and they just left it.
A few minutes later I began hearing them calling for the last few servings of the food. Then a waitress ran though the lobby into the kitchen and began yelling at the cooks about how she needed to serving of lamb, but there were only 1 left. Then cooks yelled back and it was very off putting.
Then they ran out of shrimp cocktail.
By now it was an hour past our reservation time of 8:30pm. No one was telling us anything. No one offered drinks to the customers in the stuffy room we were packed into.
Finally the hostess came and told us that they were out of some things. We asked for am menu because by then we were on edge. We got the menu and realized they were out of mostly everything except the vegetarian options because they had a limited menu. It was so overpriced for what they were serving. The only price on the menu was there $85 couples special. So me and my boyfriend began discussing that this just wasn't going to work out. I had had enough, but I know he wanted to make it special for me because he knows I love going to small restaurants. But we had waited for an hour and a half and had seen way too many off putting things. Then we began noticing people being sat before us that had just walked in. So we got up and left and I don't even think anyone noticed.
We got to the car and I called around because it was 9:45 at night on Valentines day, and everywhere was packed. But I called Longhorns that was about 15 minutes away in Dawsonville, and we walked in and they sat us immediately and SAVED our special day. I will be going there next to write an amazing review for them, because to be a chain restaurant, they were excellent and really helped me and my boyfriend celebrate our day together.
As for this place, get your stuff together, because I will not return or recommend this place for how terrible that night was.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank acd2013
Jeff M, Owner at The Oar House, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
I am very sorry you had a negative experience at our restaurant. As you acknowledged, most restaurants were extremely crowded that evening. And, with the record snowfall that week, we didn't receive most of our reservations until just before that evening, which was very challenging for all of us. Still, we could and should have handled the crowds better. I want to assure you that yours was not what the vast majority of our guests experience. I hope you will reconsider and visit us for another dinner in the country.

Thank you.

Dahlonega, Georgia
“Gourmet cuisine in mountain riverside country atmosphere.”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is our favorite "special treat" place to go eat. The food is outstanding with the most relaxing and beautiful views of the river with a country home atmosphere. Can be a little pricey, but with out a doubt worth the extra.

• Visited February 2014
Jeff M, Owner at The Oar House, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review. We are pleased you enjoyed yourself and hope you will return soon.

Macon, Georgia
“Excellent 1 of a kind experience by the water- great place to sit and enjoy the live music with a glass of wine in a swing by th”
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

We loved our visit here. We stumbled upon it by accident (we were doing zip lining in Lula and headed to Helen) and though the prices were a bit high the atmosphere was worth it. We sat on one of the many decks by the water late afternoon even swinging in one of the porch swings by the water listening as the live music tuned up. The food was great. We plan to go again taking our 3 little ones this weekend. We are even driving 30 minutes out if the way and are hoping the service, food, and atmosphere will be just as great as our first visit.

• Visited November 2013
Jeff M, Owner at The Oar House, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review. We work very hard to provide quality food, service, and atmosphere. We hope you will join us again soon.