“Good ole country cooking with family style seating, did I mention all you can eat.”
Review of The Smith House

The Smith House
Ranked #11 of 86 Restaurants in Dahlonega
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Famous for our all-you-can eat family style meals. Country vegetable and fried chicken is everyone's favorite. Stay in our historic inn and visit our historic town square of Dahlonega where the first Gold Rush was located. The Smith House is locked one block from the square.
Dahlonega, Georgia
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

You start your dinner off browsing the gift shop and learning about the first Gold Rush in America. Then down to the basement that is built on a vein of gold. You are seated at what can only be described as a "Walton family dinner table". If you are not a party of 10 or more you sit with soon to be friends.Then the food comes. Presented in the same fashion that you would expect if you are at a family reunion. Bowls of fried chicken, collard greens, corn bread, etc are passed around like it is Christmas. This is a must visit when friends come to town (especially if they are Yankees).

• Visited March 2014
FreidaWB, Owner at The Smith House, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Everyone seems to enjoy the simplicity of their dining experience here. Reminds them of the days past. However, we do offer private seating as well. So next time you are here, try the individual tables and let us know how you like it.

Ga
“A great experience”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Wonderful location, great food and atmosphere, the best shopping and antiques - there is something for everyone in Dahlonega.

• Visited September 2013
FreidaWB, Owner at The Smith House, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Glad to hear! See you again very soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent. ”
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

If you want a fun experience and amazing food then go to the smith house! I don't normally socialize well but before I left the table of strangers I felt like I had known them my whole life! Lots of nice conversation about gold and grand kids. Loved it! Oh and the food was fabulous !!

FreidaWB, Owner at The Smith House, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
I am so glad you experienced a memorable experience while visiting us. Even though we are famous for our all-you-can eat meals seating with other hungry travelers, our servers also give patrons the option to sit by themselves. We look forward to your visit again.
McDonough GA
“Overrated and Overpriced”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Do Not let this place form your opinion of southern cooking. Average is the greatest compliment one can give. The food was served at room temperature and was as bland as bland can be. If this is home - cooking for you, this southern has great sympathy for your childhood.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank burns41
FreidaWB, Owner at The Smith House, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
I am so sorry to hear that your experience with us was not up to your standards. I wish you would of brought this to my attention while visiting with us so I could of made the changes while you were on property. Please as for me if you decide to visit us again so I can ensure your visit will be a excellent one.
Carrollton, Georgia
“Not Worth It”
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

This place is way overpriced. I didn't expect that they would automatically bring us some of everything on the menu current menu. I told them to keep two of the veggies that I knew my daughters and I would not eat. So in that high per person price, I paid for food I did not want. I agree with many reviews that the fried chicken was the highlight. Otherwise, I enjoyed the cole slaw and creamed corn, but the rest of it was seriously boring. I left quite full but feeling I'd been ripped off.

As you approach the dining room, a sign tells you to stand to the left and wait here so the camera will let them know you are here. We were there for a weekday lunch in March, so it wasn't exactly crowded. Still we stood at the sign for a good 10 minutes, making eye contact with servers three times, before we were seated. One fellow in the dining room was friendly and helpful, but our server acted as if she'd rather be elsewhere.

Find another place to try for a meal.

Visited March 2014
FreidaWB, Owner at The Smith House, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Hello Jill, I would like to extend to you another visit to our restaurant so your experience will be a pleasant one. The sign in the front hallway only gives customers they way of knowing where to wait for seating. Our servers are trained to let the customers know they are waiting for a table to become available for seating. I'm sorry you had to wait for 10 minutes for the table and will make sure the staff will convey this adequately in the future. We are famous for our all-you-can eat meals served like grandmas house. Sometimes they are items that the customers chooses not to eat and does not want to waste the dish and chooses to enjoy the dishes they do prefer.