“Wonderful Experience”

Crisson Gold Mine
Ranked #2 of 42 things to do in Dahlonega
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Here at Crisson Gold Mine you can Pan for Real Dahlonega Gold, and look for Gemstones. We have instructors that are willing to help you and your family have a fun adventure. We also offer the use of Trommels, Highbankers, Gold cubes to the person that wants to do more than just pan. Please call us to find out more information. The Crisson Gold Mine has a lot of history. It is an actual open pit gold mine that was established in 1847 and was worked commercially until the early 1980s. We've been open to the public since 1969 and we are the oldest gold mining establishment in North Georgia. At Crisson Gold Mine, there is a 130-year-old stamp mill that is still used to crush quartz rock which contains gold. This crushed rock is called ore. In addition to the stamp mill, we have rod mills and jaw crushers that we occasionally use. All of these antique gold mining machines along with our open pit mine can be seen when you visit our gold mine. We sell our ore by the 5-gallon bucket. You can pan for the gold at our gold mine, or you can take the ore home with you. For our more serious gold miners, we have trommels for your use during your visit to Crisson Gold Mine. These machines are used to separate the gold from the sand at a much more efficient pace. Several buckets of ore can be finished in less than half the time it takes to pan them out. New for 2014 you can now purchase a pan of quartz rock and use our crusher to crush them, then pan out the gold. This has been a big hit. Especially for the more serious miners.
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We visited Crisson Gold Mine, a real working gold mine, while we were visiting the Dahlonega area. The Crissons were very hospitable hosts. We panned for gold and screened gravel for gem stones. Mr. Crisson instructed us in the panning technique and sure enough we found several gold flakes and a small gold nugget at the end of the process. We also found several gem stones which Mr. Crisson identified for us. We also went on the wagon ride around their property. The wagon was drawn by a tractor which easily maneuvered several steep hills. The tour took us past a moonshiner's 1940's vintage car, vintage farm implements, farm animals and ended at a gold ore processor. I personally was intrigued by the stamping machine which crushes quartz into gravel so the gold may be extracted.
The gift shop is large, clean and well stocked with not only gifts, gold ore, and gold mining implements but jewelry with gold nuggets which were mined on site. Mrs. Crisson, who manages the gift shop is delightful and very knowledgeable. Our daughter, a special needs adult, took most of an hour to decide what to purchase in the gift shop so please add very patient to Mrs. Crisson's attributes. If we visit Dahlonega again Crisson's Gold Mine will definitely be one of our stops.

3  Thank BushnellBandB
There are newer reviews for Crisson Gold Mine

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We went to the shop and realized we all had to pay to go into the mining area, but once we did, everyone got to go panning for gold and gem mining. The man attending was great with the kids and very helpful. The kids all enjoyed it very much.

1  Thank orlandoeater82
Reviewed 26 June 2014

staff was very helpful!!! Gift shop was very nice. Really enjoyed panning for gold and gemstones. Would recommend it. The only problem we found were lack of directions or markers showing the way.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I got into gold prospecting a few years ago but living in middle Georgia i dont have many opportunities to peruse it. When we get a chance to travel we almost always go North. If we get near Dalonega we stop by Crimson gold mine to check out the new products,see the old ones and pick up a bag of ore to take home. The staff is always verry helpful when we pan or have a question about a peace of equipment or even where we can pan in a stream. All in all just a great place.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

There are two gold mines that you can pan for gold and gems. I would definitely give my vote to Crisson because it is still a real active gold mine. There is a ride behind a tractor in wagons. Many interesting sites along the way. Back to panning. You will be taught how to pan and if you get into it you can buy a bigger amount. I got a five gallon bucket, I also bought my own panning device. After about four times I decided to rent the machine that pans it for you. When that process is finished you will get about a pan of grit and gold. I ended up with thirty two pieces of gold. No, I did not get dinner with the gold but my wife and I had a great time. Great people and my wife wants to tell the females out there that the restrooms are absolutely clean.great for the whole family. Thanks to the Ray family and all the help. Just remembered something else, if the want to see a rendition of the stamp mill, just buy the rock and have it run through the crusher, then go pan it. There are so many ways to extract the gold here. If you really get into it, buy some equipment to go out on you own, they sell it there.

2  Thank Arlone

Been to Crisson Gold Mine? Share your experiences!