“A little disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Dalton
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A little disappointed”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We were passing through and decided to stop in Dalton. The Holiday Inn was not our first choice, but the other properties were full. In my opinion the hotel is way overpriced for what you get, but it was nice enough. The front desk staff was ok. It would do in a pinch, but we won't stay there again when there are so many other choices that are nicer and at lower prices.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dalton, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Bobby T,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We are glad that you found our hotel and staff nice. As far as the rates, these are competitive in the area. We strive to provide excellent service and at the same time ensure that our facilities are well maintained. As hospitality professionals, it is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations.

We appreciate all the feedback we receive, and most certainly welcome any opportunity to improve. We would love to welcome you back should your future travel plans bring you back to the area.

Warm Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed on the way back, after staying at a top holiday inn in Lexington, Kentucky, I could tell the difference from that one and this one. It was a decent stay, the beds were soft and nice.. Not sure if there was a breakfast, but I don't think there was. Overall, for the price, which I thought was a little high, it was a decent stay, and probably is still one of the best in the area...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
daltonholidayinn, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dalton, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank You for your favorable review of our Hotel. We're also pleased you had a good nights rest with us. For future reference, we do have a full service restaurant located on property that is open for both Breakfast and Dinner. I hope to have you back with us again soon.
Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I'm so terribly disappointed in this hotel. We picked it based on the great TA reviews, but sadly we are having a very different experience. The hotel is very clean and the lobby quite modern. Beyond that, I'm not impressed. The front desk wasn't overly friendly - efficient, but not a welcoming attitude at all. And they had no cookies or other welcome treat to offer my family. The room size is fine for a double, but we had the misfortune of getting a room with a locked adjoining door. They seem to have soundproofed the walls, but not the door! The people next door are blaring sports on the TV and talking loudly. We thought it would get better at bedtime, but it hasn't diminished at all. It sounds like they are sitting in our room!! We also had a terrible experience in the pool thanks to a large group of kids. Having children of my own, I don't fault the boys for having some fun, but when they were whipping a ball across the pool it would have been nice to have hotel staff intervene. The group made it unpleasant for my smaller children in the shallow end. They even hit me with the ball! Not to mention the waves created with the group constantly splashing, jumping, etc. I should have listened to the dad on the way in who had abandoned his efforts to swim with his little girls because of the group. My children were so excited to swim, we toughed it out, but it wasn't the experience we had hoped for. After our swim, we returned to find the neighbors TV and conversation still going strong. And discovered that the bathroom has all sorts of issues - three towels for a double room, zero water pressure, a broken adjustable shower head, standing water in the slow tub drain, choices of scalding hot or freezing cold water, etc. My evening shower was awful! I tried to warm up, but There is no caffeine free tea in the room. And settling into the bed, I'm aware of a slightly musty smell - very faint, but enough to tell something is a bit off. And in the morning, we don't even have a complimentary breakfast to look forward too. It's great that the hotel is clean, but I would never stay here again. It's just not a welcoming place for families, especially given the price. Really bummed that the reviews were so far off from our experience.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Birdie06
daltonholidayinn, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dalton, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank You for your review, and informing us to some issues you encountered during your stay with us. The Hotel did have a youth sports group in house, that were being chaperoned by their parents. It's definitely upsetting that you and your children we're not able to have a positive experience at the pool. Unfortunately, the front desk or management was not alerted of any room noise, showerhead issues, or pool problems. When informed of a situation, our 24 hour maitenance and security will take every inititive necessary to make sure our guests have a quiet and comfortable stay. We really hope that you give the Hotel another visit in the future.
DeLand, Florida
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Traveling from Florida to Northwest IN with my son and his wife; required two rooms. Forgot it was spring break weekend in the South, so many hotels were filled. This one, however, had rooms, so we settled.

Initially, I went in alone. There were three young women at the desk. The two at each end were busy, the one in the middle, standing behind a plate of cookies, had no one in front of her. I figured she was open for business, so I approached. She abruptly directed me to the other lines...she was the prettiest; so I guess she was there for decoration (?).

I obeyed and moved to the left. I requested two separate rooms, indicated I wanted to pay cash, and was told there was an additional $100 charge for that...so now a $200 (Holiday Inn !) room became $300!. I thought, maybe, she didn't understand I was asking for two separate rooms and trying to pay for one, so I tried to explain. She was very "roll your eyes" accommodating, repeating, again, the charge.
Admittedly, I'm not a well seasoned traveler, maybe twice a year; I didn't realize there was a surcharge if you don't use a credit card. By then, my son showed up, told me to just use my card and there would be no additional $100 fee. (Thank you, Son, for the explanation; and, unlike with the Deskchick, I didn't even feel stupid!) A little customer service training would be welcome here. Then, of course, the smirking, "have a nice stay"...not too genuine, so not very welcome.

Beyond the negative front desk encounter, the room was adequate; roomy and clean; but, definitely, Holiday Inn. I've stayed in more charm for $200+. Had it been $300, however, I would not have been happy.
Bottom line, get your credit card out, get off the front desk as quickly as possible, don't stand before the cookie peddler, and remember your destination; you will sleep in cleanliness and comfort. This place, thank goodness, is not the reason you are on the road!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank myirysheyes
daltonholidayinn, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dalton, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
We thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn & Suites, Dalton GA, and apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered at check in. At the same time the Hotel would like to be given the opportunity to clarify some things. The exemplary female employee that is being unfairly belittled by such descriptions as 'decoration', 'Cookie Peddler' & 'deskchick' was merely doing her/their job. The spot in which you were standing does not have a check-in system, only the Switchboard, taking care of in-house calls and reservations. Both of the other computers were in use checking in other guests. In addition, it was clearly explained that when paying cash a refundable deposit is required at check in. This is a common practice for Hotels that have a Restaurant/Lounge where additional charges besides room rental may incur. We are indeed pleased that you enjoyed the Hotel's clean spacious room, but wanted to state that inapproriate labels towards valued employees are not welcome.
Richmond Hill, United States
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I have found my favorite hotel! We always stop in Dalton for and overnight stay while on our road trips. This was one of the nicest hotel our family has ever stayed in. I loved the spacious rooms, comfort and amenities, especially the yummy cookies waiting at the front desk. The hotel was very close to restaurants. The only down side was that it didn't come with a free complimentary breakfast. Can't wait for our next road trip!

Room Tip: I don't think you can pick a bad room here. If you choose not to spend the extra $ for their in...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Kelly,

Thanks so much for your input regarding your stay with us! We do hope you'll give our restaurant a try on your next visit, we're sure you'll enjoy it. We'll have the freshly baked cookies
waiting for you.
Ormond Beach, FL
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My sister and I planned a trip to tour Kentucky and from Florida this was a good stopping destination. However, I was having trouble finding any hotel to take a 10 lb, non barking, non shedding dog who has been my companion since my husband was killed by a drunk driver.
This Holiday Inn was wonderfully clean, very professional and friendly. We were made to feel very welcome. The grounds were also well manicured. The hotel restaurant was above the normal quality for hotels. Overall - a very pleasant and superb stay. We travel to Chicago often from Florida and this will become a definite stop.
We booked the 2 queen executive room and the size was better than expected and well worth the extra money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
daltonholidayinn, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dalton, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank You so much for your review, and for choosing us as your preferred stop when in Dalton,GA. It gives me great joy to read about your positive experiences at our Hotel. We do take pride in giving our guests a 'one-stop-shop', with our amenities such as the Restaurant/Lounge & Indoor heated Pool/Whirlpool. I hope to see you with us again very soon.
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Accidentally found this hotel on our way to Florida for spring break. We did not make a reservation while traveling since we did not know how far we would get. I think we got one of the last rooms. The hotel appeared to be fairly new. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff we did encounter were friendly. Good place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
daltonholidayinn, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dalton, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank You for taking the time to review your stay with us. We understand that travelling during Spring Break can be hectic, considering the large amount of traffic on the interstates. We pride ourselves in ending your drive for the day with a clean, comfortable room with hospitable customer service. It can really make a positive difference during your travels. We look forward to seeing you next year, or in the near future.