“Marvelous!”
Review of Open Gates B&B

Open Gates B&B
Ranked #1 of 3 Darien B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I brought 35 of my tour clients to Open Gates as were returning to Florida from Savannah a few days ago. Chef Zach created a unique and delicious low country boil for the entire group, and his wife Carrie & their sons (and their friends!) delivered an A+ service experience which made our visit something very special. What a most marvelous time! After perusing the web for just the right location to add touch a southern charm to our tour, and speaking to the owners to be sure they were comfortable with what we wanted to do, Zach and Carries agreed to host our group, and we were absolutely thrilled to find Open Gates just as described. You can forever find beautiful architecture and history in Savannah, all over the South actually, but there is nothing like becoming part of a southern town like Darien, Georgia to show you what being in the South is all about. This lovely B & B exemplifies what a warm, and relaxing environment means. SItuated under stately live oaks in a town square, and in a community with a few downtown shops as well to explore, Open Gates exudes charm. We did not have the chance to stay the night, but what we did experience was the Inn's sense of comfort and the excellent meal Zach prepared. Service was top notch, and everyone was thrilled to have had the opportunity to enjoy a true southern gem. We were even treated to the delights of Sugar March Ranch - creators of the sweets for the Inn just across the tree-lined street! We'll be back of course. This is a perfect venue to host a luncheon, party, wedding reception... sits right next to a church too! Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank nathan4444
There are newer reviews for Open Gates B&B

Reviewed 30 December 2013

New ownership has brought new energy into this amazing B&B on the square in beautiful downtown Darien! What a gorgeous setting on the grassy square surrounded by several old historic churches and period residences.This lovely old inn is within easy walking distance to the restaurants in town and offers a night's stay for those travelling up or down I95 that takes you off the highway and into the lovely Georgia waterfront town of Darien with a picturesque array of shrimp boats and a relaxing friendly environment. Five minutes from busy I95 and you are transported to another world. Nearby restaurants within easy walking distance offer everything from freshly fried local shrimp and flounder to world class Euro style cuisine. We love B&B's and have stayed in them all over the US and Europe. It is hard to find rooms in them that offer a king sized bed and this inn has several rooms with kings. We booked on very short notice from the highway and Zach was so accommodating. What an interesting young couple who are infinitely capable and are so eager to please. Owner Zach has culinary training and offers a wonderful breakfast, plus he is great company. I slept like a baby in that beautiful king sized bed!!! Old reviews that drag this inn's rating down are written by visitors who visited this inn during the tenure of the previous owners. Do not be deterred. We loved our recent stay in this inn and the picturesque little town of Darien. We will return again and again.

Room Tip: King sized beds in at least three of the rooms! Two upstairs rooms do have a shared bath and the one...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Salt Water Diva
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Such a beautiful place and our hosts were just delightful from the moment we got there to the very end. Any needs we had were taken care of immediately. Breakfast was delicious and the bed I slept in was absolutely amazing! I mean seriously, AMAZING! I didn't want to get out of it! Highly recommend staying here!

Room Tip: Upstairs 2nd room on the right!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We book the whole house for a family reunion and had the best time. The house is 150 years old but was decorated very nicely. The place was exceptionally clean. The hosts Zack and Carrie were the best. They catered to our every need with fresh cookies at 3PM and wine.
We will definitely book this place again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank tara24_10
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed at Open Gates back in August 2013 & were very pleased to meet the new owners Carrie & Zach,we were very impressed with them & the home.Our room had the most comfortable bed we had ever slept on while traveling.Earlier this month(nov 2013) we again visited open gates & were extremly impressesd once again.Zach's breakfeasts are to die for,while Carrie is very informative on the area & places of interest around the b&b.We couldn't help but notice the improvements that had been made in a few short months.We are planning anothe trip to the b&b early next year & can't wait to see any changes that are made,and enjoy the fablous breakfeasts.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I was on the fence about staying in a BB but we ended up finding this one and did it. We thought if we didn't like it after a night we could stay at a regular hotel the next night... That however ended up not being the case because we LOVED it!!! From the minute we got there we were greeted by the owners who were a delight and very informative about the sights near by. I'm a history buff and love seeing old sights and they directed me to things I would not have been able to find on my own. The owner herself took us to the neatest small church I have ever seen. The owner who cooks is a 5 star chef in my opinion.... I am actually craving his crab cakes as I write this!!!! Our room was extremely comfortable and clean As well as the rest of the house!! This will be our place every year!!! We just loved it!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Could not ask for better hosts and fabulous home! If I could take the Magnolia room bed home with me, I would. Loved it so much, I came back a second weekend to finish writing my forthcoming book. Breakfast is suited for a King (or in my case, a Queen). Delectable. Sweet, homemade treats are always within reach along with great warmth and comfort. The house breathes peace in every room. VERY clean. Love it so much, we are planning our Christmas with Open Gates as a pass through to Florida. A gem in such a quaint, historical, coastal town. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: First Room at top of stairs to right!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank monica m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darien
Hampton Inn Darien-I-95
Jekyll Island Club Resort
Jekyll Island Club Resort
#1 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#5 of 5 in Darien

Been to Open Gates B&B? Share your experiences!