“Not bad but not worth > $50”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Dawsonville
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The stay at Comfort Inn was not bad but I would have rated this higher if there was quality in the stay and customer service could have been better.

We stayed for 3 days (Wed,Thur,Fri) and got a weekly rate of $75.99 for 2 days and $95.99 for the Friday.
Personally I thought the $95.99 was a steep rate for this hotel as I have got good deals in the past with La Quinta,
Hampton Inn etc for $50 - $60 in very nice locations.
Few days before my trip, I called the front desk and a gentlemen picked up the phone and I asked if I could get a discount on the Friday rate of $95.99.
Just 2 weeks back this was sold for $70 for all 3 days on Priceline. Anyway I found the front desk guy to be really rude
and he said "No I cannot and this is the best I have". Comfort Inn...can you train your staff to be little more polite and professional
when talking to a customer? That really put me off on how this trip is going to be if you have someone rude like this at the front-desk.
Thankfully another lady was there when we arrived and the checkin went fine.

Breakfast: The breakfast was good and well equipped. They had Sausage patties,egg,toast,bagels,waffle maker,yogurt,pastries etc and I have to admit
that we looked forward to the breakfast each day.

Stay:

Day 1: Our room was clean but there was an old tube TV in our room. Since we were not going to stay a lot in our room we decided to let it pass. But in the evening it would have been nice to have a Flat TV as the picture quality on the Tube was not that great. In their website they boast about Flat TV in every room,sorry but this is deceiving and false advertisement if they cannot provide one. As it was a long drive for us from Florida we decided to adjust with the TV that night but the picture quality was horrible and I felt cheated for $75 to be offered a tube TV. Flat TV's are the standard now even in a Motel 6 or Super 8. I informed the front-desk and we were asked to switch rooms but we were not keen on moving to another room as we had already settled in our room. After some considerable time of convincing him that $75 was too much for the tube TV and I told him that the picture is bad and then he said "Yeah the tube TV..picture can be bad..hold on" and went in and spoke to the manager.
His manager then asked him to swap a Flat TV from another room and we had the flat tv from the second day. This could have been avoided if they had the Flat TV in the room as advertised...but I was diappointed that to fix this I had to do a lot of convincing.

Day2: We were searching in our room for something and found a men's underwear under the bed-skirts. Now the house-keeping was good on the first day but when we got back in the evening we were not sure if the underwear was lying there since Day 1 or it was left by the house-keeping folks on the same day. We complained to the lady at the front desk and she came and took it and I asked her whether this room was really clean't in the first place and whether we could get some discount for this inconvenience. She said she would leave a note for the manager in the morning. It has been our norm for us to leave a tip for house-keeping which we did on day 1.I am not saying this to boast or anything but on Day 2 we left a note and another tip for house keeping and mentioned to them about the underwear. Guess what...when we came back our rest-room was just the same as it was. Really is this is how low you people can go?

Day 3: No word from the manager about last night's issue. I believe they were waiting for us to bring up the issue from last night or just not bother about it. This is really unprofessional and very very cheap. In the evening after our day trip I informed the front desk again about the issue and this was the response I got from the front desk lady - "We can only compensate or provide a discount if you found something within the linens in the bed". After this I asked for the manager and she gave me a 10% discount on our rates.

Also this hotel doesn't have an elevator and which hotel doesn't have one these days?
Overall the stay would have got 5 stars had all these issues not occurred but the customer service could have been better instead of trying to find ways to get away from fixing things. But after insisting, we got the issues fixed.

Another reviewer here mentioned about the the $1.50 fee for the safe and I remembered this but forgot to check the bill when checking out. And later when driving back I saw the $1.50 charge for each day for their safe which I never used at all. This is daylight robbery to go behind us and charge this. This is the heights of being cheap. I can't say how disappointed this stay was and these people have gone really low with charging that $1.50 for each day.
I was just bugged and decided not to be cheap to call and ask them the $4.50.
Why would anyone want to even use their safe because obviously they will know the combination or can change it ?

Please be aware of this charge if you choose to stay at Comfort Inn.
The ONLY reason I stayed at this place is because we were visiting Amicalola Falls (30-35 mins drive) and Brasstown Bald mountain at Blairsville (1 hr :15 min).
If there was a Hampton Inn, La Quinta, Baymont Inn in this area, I would stay there in a heart beat. I did see better hotels in Cummings but since I had 2 babies, I wanted to stay somewhere considerably closer to the attractions.

In any conclusion, more should have been done about giving what they promised and not being cheap about every single thing. This hotel is probably worth $50 / day..nothing more than that and anything more than $50 is robbery. The 2 stars were taken away for the underwear,house-keeping not cleaning the restroom the second day, no elevators and the $1.50 fee/day charged behind our back. I doubt I will stay here again just because of how they charged us $1.50 behind our backs and also thinking a lot about fixing the issues we addressed. Going behind the customer's back and charging speaks volumes about a business.

Room Tip: Beware of the $1.50/ day charge on their safe and there are no elevators.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
shelbyda, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

First of all, I'd like to start by apologizing. It is clear that we failed to meet your expectations and mine. Our hotel is better than your review indicates, and we would like a second chance to prove it to you. I won't make excuses for every little thing that went wrong during your stay, but I will say that I take resposibility for our staff and service personnel. We made several mistakes that could have, and should have, been easily corrected.

We lost sight of the fact that our guests always come first. We are in the hospitality industry, and sometimes we can forget that our focus has to be on you.

Despite that, I cannot agree with your characterization of our hotel's practices as "robbery." That is simply untrue, and we strive to provide the best possible value for all our guests. It is important not to misrepresent the safes that we provide. Each safe is programmed specifically so that the guest creates the security code to unlock it. None of our staff can know a guest's code, and they are insured for our guests' protection. This is a valuable service for many guests, but we understand that not everyone will make use of it, which is why our registration form clearly states what the safe charges are and that you are not required to pay them, if you do not use them.

We do not advertise that we have flat-screen TVs in every room, though at this point there is only one room in our entire hotel without one. We agree with you that the picture quality suffers on that particular TV, and we have ordered a replacement.

Also, when a guest is staying with us for multiple days, we try to refrain from disturbing their belongings, and as part of our "green practices" as an Eco-Friendly Hotel, we only replace bed linens and towels if we find them on the floor of the room. There is a sign in the room that indicates this practice, because we know that many of our guests appreciate our efforts to conserve water and be as green as possible.

We hope that this has answered some of the issues that you experienced and will be informative to our other future guests. We are looking forward to seeing you again, if you are in the area!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night as we were running a half marathon near the area. We really just needed a place to crash and not looking for anything fabulous. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of this Comfort Inn. The staff was SUPER friendly. We had to walk up some steps to get to our room and it was SO HOT up there, but not problem because when you got to your room the air worked great. They had a very nice sized refrigerator, microwave, sink in the room. The bathrooms had a large jacuzzi tub. The bed was very comfortable and had a nice television. It was very quiet. It came with breakfast. They let us have a later checkout because of our race, which they totally didn't have to do and we greatly appreciated getting to shower after with a long drive ahead of us. It can be a little tricky to find, at least with our GPS, but we found it. Very convenient to all things Dawsonville. I highly recommend this place for a friendly place to rest.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank meljinqin

We're very glad that you enjoyed your stay! The area around the hotel is loaded with great adventures, and we try to allow for our guests' needs as much as possible. As hot as it's been, our new A/C units are very popular!

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Check in went easy and the room was comfortable and the breakfast was decent for a hotel breakfast. The staff was rude. Upon checkout my husband was standing at the counter and the clerk said to my husband you must be from the group in 212. We were not in 212 so she replies well then you must have been in 207. No not 207 either. We gave our room number and checked out. As we were leaving we were going to get a pail about 4 cups of ice for our cooler and the clerk flipped out. Then my husband says something about we should have stayed across the street at the Motel 8 and the clerk goes off on a rant about all the things wrong with Motel 8. We will not be staying here again. To top it all off the bathroom smelled of urine.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Munasi
shelbyda, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for bringing this situation to my attention. I do not condone this type of treatment of our guests, and it is surprising that any of our staff would do this. Please accept my apology and know that we immediately scheduled a staff meeting for the day following this review.

We take great pride in the service we offer our guests, and whenever there is a lapse, we try to correct it as soon as possible.

Also, I would love to have the opportunity to make it up to you, if you would contact me directly at the hotel.

Again, thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. With your help, we will be better!

706-216-1900

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed at the Comfort Inn when we traveled to the area for a family wedding. It was the only decent place nearby. We liked it. We brought our dog and they were very kind to us and provided great service. The free breakfast in the morning was great and it was a very comfortable room and bed. Good value also.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank promzek
shelbyda, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

That's very gracious of you! We were certainly glad to have you and your pet with us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank w0rld_traveler_2_be
shelbyda, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We needed a place to stay for several nights while we were closing on the sale of our home. There is not a lot of choice in Dawsonville, so I suspected I was choosing the lesser of three evils. We were pleasantly surprised at how nice, clean, quiet, and comfortable this hotel is. Everything was exactly as represented, no problems. Since we only used it as a place to sleep, I can't speak for any other aspects of the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Juanita C
shelbyda, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Thank you for the review! It's always good to hear that we've met our guests expectations, but we hope you'll give us the chance to exceed them next time!

It sounds like you've moved from the area, but we hope you'll come back and visit soon!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We recently stayed at the Comfort Inn in Dawsonville. The room was very nice. The bed was very comfortable and it had a great tv. However, it was cool outside but we seemed to struggle getting the room cool enough for us. The lobby was also warm. The hotel was beautiful on the inside and the staff was very welcoming.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rballiew

Thank you for the kind words. We love to hear that our staff has made our guests feel welcome, and we're glad to hear that you like our renovations!

Regulating the temperature this winter has been more difficult than usual. It's like a rollercoaster! If any of our guests have this issue, we do keep a few stand-alone fans to help.

Next time you're with us, just let our front desk staff know if you'd like one!

Shelby Harris

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dawsonville
Amicalola Falls Lodge
#1 of 5 in Cumming
The Guest Lodge Gainesville
The Guest Lodge Gainesville
#3 of 13 in Gainesville

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!