“Great experience but few vistas”
Review of Len Foote Hike Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dawsonville
Len Foote Hike Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Dawsonville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 October 2012

My grandson, who is eleven, and I hiked the five mile trail to the hike inn. The hike is moderate with lots of up and down climbs. The inn is basic, the rooms all have a bunk bed for two people. The staff is wonderful! The food very good. If you like the outdoors, I think you will like the experience. My only disappointment was on the hike in and out, you are in thick cover, with no overlooks or views of the mountains.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tripsaroundtheglobe

Reviewed 17 September 2012

I can not thank the staff enough for making my visit to The Hike Inn so very memorable and special. The entire place was extremely clean, the food was incredibly delicious. I found the evening presentation by Bill and Wade to be a special perk and made the experience even more special. THANK YOU to everyone!

If anyone is wondering if this is a place to visit, do not hesitate. The hike is worth it, the staff is fantastic and the experience will last forever...
Dixie

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2012

My wife and I visited hike inn on a recent section hike of the AT. We started at the falls and hiked to woody gap, hike inn was our first night on the trail and a most welcome one. We hike the approach trail to the inn and made it I time for the tour and dinner. Both were out of this world! The staff was very knowledgeable and courteous and attended to our every need. Breakfast and sunrise at star base is not to be missed. There is nothing like enjoying a cup of coffee and watching the sun break over the blue ridge mountains illuminating the valley below. If you haven't been,GO!!!!

We WILL be back!!!!

Jeremy and Jennifer Peyton
Fleming Island Florida

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This inn is beautiful, the staff are wonderful, and the facility is ultra-sustainable! It's a wonderful place to take a hike-acation or spend a few relaxing days. I never pass up the chance to go here, and it's definitely a place that all should go to. If you love the outdoors, you'll love the Hike Inn. And if you don't yet love the outdoors, the Hike Inn just might be the place to change your mind. I've been here with friends and family and all who have gone have love it too.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Hard to put this under the "hotel" category in TripAdvisor because it was so much more than just a hotel! The 5 mile hike was great - beautiful trees and good trail. The rooms were small and plain, and we made our bunks with the linens they gave us - it was like summer camp! The attention to detail and conservation were excellent. We packed everything in and out (no trash cans in the rooms or bathrooms). Composting toilets. Timers on the lights in the bathhouse. In the cafeteria everyone put names on their drinking glasses & mugs so they would be reused. The food we left on our plates was weighed after the meal to encourage folks to take only as much as they would eat. And the food was delicious! It was served family style and it was fun to get to know the other folks at the table. The staff gave a tour of the Hike Inn before dinner and explained a little history of the place, plus the solar panels, composting system, etc. Don't miss the morning sunrise - it is beautiful. Do this trip if you can! We only stayed one night, but if we did it again I would want to stay 2 nights.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Njoytravl
Reviewed 6 August 2012

A great way to educate my gradson on conservation. The 5 mile hike up was fun, not too strenous. My 10 year old grandson loved the hike and didn't complain at all on the way up. The trees are beautiful and the map gives you some great information to discuss. The accommodation is basic, bunk beds and communal ablutions but for a 10 year old he was in heaven. The tour of how the composting toilets work and the solar panels etc, was just great for a little boy. Then the games in the common room were just a perfect way to spend the evening. It was wonderful to spend the time free of electronic gadgets and TV. We went last summer and I am just now getting around to the review - but my grandson still talks about our night at Len Foote. Take the kids for a real memory making experience.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2012

What beauty! Nature was demonstrating its best behavior when we were there. Thousands of shades of green surrounded the browns of tree trunks and rocks. I honestly doubted my ability to hike 5 miles of mountainous terrain, but I did it! Also 14 miles the next day and then 5 more miles back to the car. That sense of accomplishment is priceless. If you have ever thought about going - GO! I saw a black bear, scads of spiders, a red fox, bullfrogs, and absolutely no snakes (darn). I was able to complete the journey due to the support of my husband and kids, the friendly staff, the home cooked meals (JP makes the best vegies!), and the comraderie of fellow hikers. For entertainment there was even a bluegrass band one evening - The Barker Brothers. My only complaint would be the difficulty sleeping with my husband on a bunk bed. But, it was only 2 nights out of 17 years.

Go for 2 nights, rely on your inner self to conquer your personal mountains as you conquer the approach to the Appalachian Trail. You won't regret it one iota!

Room Tip: Get a room on the west side - away from the crowds, facing the woods.