“Beautiful retreat in the north Georgia mountains”
Review of Len Foote Hike Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dawsonville
Len Foote Hike Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Dawsonville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 August 2008

Despite celebrating its 10-year anniversary, the Len Foote Hike Inn remains an undiscovered gem of a lodging facility tucked 5 miles into Georgia's Amicalola Falls State Park. The Hike Inn has a Gold LEED-EB certification because of its energy-efficient design and construction as well as the conservation techniques used throughout the property like its solar panels, composting toilets, and "pack it in, pack it out" policy since there are no trash cans.

I brought my oldest daughter, all of 4 1/2 years old, along with me for our night at the Hike Inn. The 5-mile hike from the parking area to the Inn is not easy for little ones as the trip there is more uphill than down. My daughter is very active, and she did great, but it took some cajoling and a few bribes to keep her motivated. It took us about 3.5 hours with a half dozen breaks to rest, drink juice/water, and snack.

Once we checked in, I unloaded our pack in the room and made up our beds (guests are given clean sheets and pillowcase at check-in). We then had some time to explore the property before Stan Krajeski, the General Manager/Innkeeper, led us on a 5pm tour of the facility and explained its conservation features.

Dinner is at 6pm and served family-style. We enjoyed a fantastic meal of pork, rice, sweet corn, rolls, salad, brussels sprouts with carrot cake for dessert. Guests are asked to only take what they can eat, and scraps are weighed in an effort to reduce waste.

After dinner we played horseshoes in the horseshoe pit before retiring to the Sunrise Room to watch bees at work in an active hive (bees travel up to an enclosed hive via a PVC pipe under the room), complete a puzzle, and read a few books. We then showered in the Bathhouse before heading off to our room.

Each room has bunk beds, an open mini-closet, a stool, a fan for summer, and a heating panel for winter. The Hike Inn is at 3300 feet, so despite a daytime high in the mid-80's, it got down to the low 60's at night so air conditioning was completely unnecessary.

We got up around 7:30am with plenty of time to get dressed, and wash up before the 8:00am breakfast bell. Once again the food was awesome, and we were served blueberry walnut coffee cake, eggs, bacon, grits, and cereal.

Check-out time is at 10:00am, so we did some more exploring the property before packing up, dropping off our room key, picking up our Len Foote Hike Inn shirts, and making the hike back to our vehicle.

My daughter's favorite part of the trip was getting to sleep in the top bunk while mine was the feeling of "getting away from it all" while enjoying a special moment with my daughter that I'll never forget. This was the first of many trips to the Hike Inn.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank Dorkydad
There are newer reviews for Len Foote Hike Inn

Reviewed 10 October 2006

Just got back from a long-weekend trip to Georgia. Spent our first night at the Len Foote Hike Inn, which I somehow found on the internet. I made the reservations by phone, and our Friday night stay cost us $140.00 which included dinner and breakfast the next morning.

I cannot say enough about this place. First off, you need to "register" your name at the Visitor Center in Amacolala State Park. They have you sign a waiver, give you a map, point you in the right direction, and off you go. Note that if you have not registered by 2:00 p.m., you will NOT be allowed to continue on to the inn, even if you have a paid reservation. So, give yourself plenty of time. We flew to Georgia from New York, and the drive from Atlanta to the Visitor Center took appx. 1 1/2 hours. You park your car in a designated lot within the park. You must carry out whatever you carry in...you cannot leave trash at the inn, so keep that in mind when packing your bag (all of this is explained on their website). We thought the trail was great! Well marked, with interesting points of interest (mostly of the plant variety) along the way. The trail was also very well maintained. We did not see a cigarette butt, gum wrapper or other piece of litter during the entire 5 miles. There are some nice views of the mountains along the way, but mostly you are walking in the woods. We are 35 and 41 years old, and work out reguarly. I would not call the hike "strenuous", but "vigorous". Average time to hike the 5 miles, is 3 hours, and we did it in 2 hours and 7 mintues! For ourselves, not regular hikers, we thought that was pretty good. The inn itself is gorgeous - simple, clean, spacious and different. Conservation was what they had in mind when it was built...all of this information, and the efforts they are making to keep this an eco-friendly place are available on the website. When you arrive and check in, you are given a canvas bag containing a towel, washcloth, and bed linens. Rooms are TINY, consisting of bunk beds, a mirror, pegs to hang clothes, and a small closet type area. There was also a small sitting stool. That is it! There is radiant heat in the room, and a small electric fan. Each room has a screen door, along with a wooden door (with glass panes). There are also some heavier blankets available in each room. You need to make up your own beds and when your stay is over, you need to unmake the beds, and take all of your dirty bedlines/towles and deposit them in marked laundry baskets. Upon checking in, you can explore the grounds, or just relax in the sunroom, or outside on numerous wooden chairs surrounding the property. There is also a horsehoe pit, if that is your game! At 5:00, there is a guided tour of the grounds, with explanations of how things run and the efforts being made in areas of conservation. Dinner is at 6:00 in the dininghall, and is announced by the ringing of a dinner bell. Dinner was FABULOUS!!! Roasted turkey, (a vegetarian dish of eggplant parm for me!), roasted acorn squash, fresh vegetable medley, corn, hot whole wheat buns, salad, and a wonderful chocolate cake with sauce and whipped cream for dessert! Drinks (water, lemonade, iced tea, hot cocoa, coffee) are always available. Dinner is served family style and there is PLENTY for everyone. Evenings can be spent however you wish...there is chess, books to read and other games to play in the sunroom. You are also more than welcome to hang out in the "lobby" or dininghall. There are fireplaces in both the dininghall and lobby area, although they were not lit the night we were there. Quiet time in the bunk house is 10:00 p.m., although you are welcome to stay up later in the common areas. We found the bunkbeds to be more than comfortable - the rooms, while simple and sparse, were IMMACULATE. The same can be said for the bathrooms - hot water showers (by solar heat) were wonderful after the long day of travel/hiking. You could eat off of the floor in the bathrooms. Bathmats and handtowels were provided for your use as well as shampoo and soap (by dispensers) in the showers. Toilets are compostable (no water), and again, this area was IMMACULATE. No odor...and the process (which was explained in the tour), was very interesting.

Sunrise the next morning was announced by the muffled beating of a drum...very nice way to wake up! Breakfast was at 8:00 - and consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon, 4 different cold cereals, grits, and a wonderful corn bread/apple cake type of thing! YUM!! For $5.00 each, you can have then inn make up a sack lunch for you ... we opted for this, and each got a peanut butter and peach jam sandwich, apple, trail mix and a cookie -- the cookie alone is worth the $5.00!!!! Delicious!

Check out time is 10:00, and we chose to leave by taking the Approach Trail, a slightly longer route that loops around, and brings you right back to where you started. Thru-hikers use this route, and we encountered some of them and saw their firepits along the way. I would say this trail was equal in difficulty as the trail we took to get to the inn.

Overall our experience at the Len Foote Hike Inn was AWESOME. We would highly recommend to anyone who is interested and supports conservation, and who has an appreciation for the outdoors and all it has to offer. This is not "cushy" accomodations by any means. But it is more than sufficient and is run smoothly and effortessly. We travel a lot, and have hardly stayed in a cleaner place, and the quality of the food was excellent -- and of course, you can't match the view from the front deck! Enjoy!!!

Stayed: October 2006
18  Thank We'reouttahere
Reviewed 14 April 2006

When I was planning a trip to Atlanta in 2003 I wanted to spend a night in the Georgian mountains near the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail, where I had hiked and done trail work as a teenager in the late 1950s. I found the Len Foote Hike Inn on the internet and made reservations by phone. The five mile hike up the trail from Amicolola Falls was warm and beautiful through handwood forests and occasional rhodedendron thickets, with a moderate climb along the way. I reached the Inn just in time as a thunderstorm hit with lightening and heavy rain. I was the only guest on a Thursday night with a staff of about five serving me. The buildings are very clean with innovative "green" construction and systems. The roasted chicken dinner was delicious and the fried green tomatoes were my first although I grew up in Georgia. I was given a tour of the grounds, with earthworms processing garbage as a feature attraction. Then I enjoyed the photos of mountain wildflowers taken by Len Foot and the journal entries left by former guests. In the morning I saw the sunrise and ate a big breakfast before hiking back to my car. My stay at the Inn was wonderful and I hope to go back for a few days on a future trip.

Stayed: August 2003
10  Thank ProfessorWiill
A TripAdvisor Member
Locust Fork, AL
Reviewed 21 November 2004

Checked in at the Park Headquarters with minutes to spare before they would not have allowed us to hike in. The afternoon was cool and dry, with the beautiful fall colors all around. We crunched through the leaves, stopping occassionally to absorb the sights and sounds (or lack of). We arrived at the Len Foote Hike Inn at dusk, and it was a beautiful and welcome site. It had cooled down considerably as the sun dropped behind the mountains. Hot apple cider or tea along with fresh fruits awaited us for a snack in the lounge area overlooking the mountains. Rule # 1 - you pack out your own garbage! Supper was plentiful, fresh and delicious. Showers in the communal bath area (sexes divided!) and after an hour of playing cards and checkers, it was time to call it a night. We were given our linens and towels upon check in and had made our beds. We turned the radiant heater in our bunk bed room for two on and snuggled down. Only a slight altercation over who got to be on top. Breakfast is announced with a not quite loud enough dinner bell ringing. For those of us who sleep soundly it would be easy to miss breakfast if you didn't have good "neighbors" who came looking for you! Breakfast was a hardy and plentiful affair. Lunch for the trail could be bought and I highly recommend it. Before you leave, take the session on composting!!! The toilet system uses grey water to help out also. Emphasis is placed on waste not - want not. Take no more than you need and leave footprints only. Well worth the trip to get there. See the falls (and hike to the top) before you leave!

• Stayed: November 2004
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dawsonville
Amicalola Falls Lodge
Best Western Mountain View Inn
Days Inn Dahlonega
Days Inn Dahlonega
#3 of 8 in Dahlonega

Been to Len Foote Hike Inn? Share your experiences!