“A unique place to unwind and learn conservation”
Review of Len Foote Hike Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dawsonville
Len Foote Hike Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Dawsonville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Lakeland, Florida
“A unique place to unwind and learn conservation”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Located in the Amicola Falls State Park, the first phase of unwinding from the the stress of the urban scene is the 5-mile hike up to the lodge. After taking in the Falls, the three hour hike punctuated with rest stops at benches gives one plenty of time to refocus thoughts to the natural world amid the quiet of the forest. The facility is amazing: a series of buildings set on a slope that opens to a eastern view where the sunrise is definitely worth getting up for. The rooms, with bunk beds, are clean and compact. Unless sleeping, one is better off finding an Adirondack chair on a porch in order to read. Showers and toilets are in a separate bath house. The introductory tour held every night at 5-6pm is well worth attending. First, there is the history of the the lodge and Len Foote (noted Georgia conservationist and source for the old Mark Trail comic strip series). This is followed by a walkabout tour which takes folks into a below building area that features the equipment for the conservation toilets and food scrap eating worms. There is an evening educational program every night. The food is amazing. Served family style, everything is fresh and hearty. But, beware: clean your plates! There is only one day hike from the Inn, the trip up to Springer Mountain, terminus of the Appalachian Trail (9-mile round-trip). Therefore, the stay of two nights was enough. Still, that's plenty of time to readjust priorities and clear the mind. By the way, there are no trash cans on site. You pack out what you bring in! All in all, it's a great experience.

Green Features: This is a great educational experience on conservation! It took a little readjustment but in the end it was no big thing to manage our own trash, take no more food than we could eat (seconds were always allowed) and remember to put the lid down on the conservation toilets.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

If you are looking to get away and relax, this is not the place. It's very tight quarters with other guests, with nowhere to just be alone. There were kids running and yelling at all hours. I did not sleep well, and saw no benefit to coming here rather than car camping. The hike itself is quite good though. Strenuous.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Gingerbean8
Johns Creek, Georgia
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We went on a five mile hike on our way up to the Hike Inn. It was cleaner than I expected and was great to see all of the recycling and sustainability initiatives they have. It is a getaway from the normal every day life. No cell phone reception, TV, Radio or other things. Nice just to be with people and nature every so often. The staff was great, food was good and plentiful. Would surely go again.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank sdeitchman
Atlanta
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We just got home from the Hike Inn. Wow what a great experience!! The hike was beautiful with some pretty views (they said the view is awesome when the trees lose some of their leaves.) Food was great, getting to meet and eat meals with other guests was really fun. I'm gluten free and they accommodated me. Remember whatever you hike in with you hike out with. No trash cans. Program after dinner was light stretching yoga. Great way to spend our anniversary!!!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank tupperwarepatty
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I visited with a friend in November 2013. Even though we hiked in through driving rain, the experience was amazing. Our room was cozy. The staff was knowledgeable and friendly. And the food?! The food is absolutely amazing. The kitchen staff went above and beyond to be sure that my friend had her vegetarian options and that another guest had vegan options. It was so great that I'm looking forward to returning this year.

Green Features: Very eco-friendly accommodations. They even have a great vermicomposting (worm composting) program.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My 9 year old son and I visited the Hike Inn in July. The Inn is super clean. Family friendly atmosphere for people of all ages. We especially liked the Sunrise Room - playing Phase 10 and Jenga in the evenings. Every staff person we interacted with was helpful, friendly, pleasant. We thought the composting toilets were super cool and I can't believe that there is absolutely no smell to them at all. Completely smell-neutral. My son called them the "hole to no where." In July everything was lush and green. I would love to come back in the fall and winter. The food was delicious. I am vegetarian and there were plenty of options for me. We took the AT Approach Trail leaving just for a change of scenery. It's only slightly longer. These were the longest hikes my son had ever done. He was tired but felt very proud of himself. He brought the brochure home with him so he can show his friends that he hiked the entire trail that is shown. We will definitely come back.

Green Features: Wow- they really do this right and have thought of everything. The "no waste" at meals made for lots of good discussions long after we left the inn.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank OutdoorsRX
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was going to be traveling around Georgia with a friend of mine from Australia and was not at all familiar with the state. We're both active and "outdoorsy" and by happy accident I came across the Len Foote Hike Inn. Everyone was super,from the person who took my reservation to the cook who prepared the fantastic family style breakfast. The 5 mile hike to the Inn on a hot and humid Georgia summer day was almost too much but after eating,showering and sleeping I was ready to go the next day and we hiked the almost 10 mile round trip from the Inn to Springer Mt. where the Appalachian Trail starts/ends depending which way you are traveling. Many people hiketo the Inn,spend one night and leave.I'm glad we had two nights and wish we had a 3rd day and night just to relax,read,play one of the many board games available and just enjoy the view from the Sunroom. All the more reason to return!

Room Tip: The rooms are sparse;bunk beds,a built in table & chair,a small clothes rack and lots of pegs fo...