“Apps for My First Visit”

Cakes and Ale Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #16 of 366 Restaurants in Decatur
Price range: US$7 - US$26
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A "true foodie find" in Downtown Decatur, chef-owner Billy Allin's American "separates itself" from the usual culinary scene with "fresh", "vivacious" food that "epitomizes the farm-to-table movement", plus "unrivaled" cocktails in a refined, "unassuming" setting.
Chester, Ohio
“Apps for My First Visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

My brother and I stopped by Cakes & Ale for a drink and some appetizers. We really enjoyed the appetizers and the atmosphere. We're really looking forward to going back and trying a full dinner!

• Visited February 2014

Atlanta, Georgia
“Great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

This is one of our favorite restaurants, hands down. The only reason I believe it doesn't merit 5 stars is that the chef is a little pretentious. However, my fiancé and I will gladly deal with his "holier than thou" attitude, as long as it is served with a side of bacon mayonnaise (genius).

• Visited July 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“A Great Dining Experience. Lived up to the Hype”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Wonderful food. Everything was very fresh!
Parking is a little bit of a challenge since there is no dedicated lot or valet. Street parking is limited but there is a deck near by. The space is quite small so I would definitely get reservations. The staff are great. We felt taken care of. A decanter of water is placed on the table and I think I only filled my glass of water once and I tend to drink a lot of water. The staff came buy often and made sure it stayed filled and took away our used items. It was cold and they offered to take our jackets for us so we did not have to keep them on our chairs. I felt like we were treated extremely well the entire night. Everyone was friendly but not too chatty to disrupt our meal.
The food was delicious. We decided to share everything so we could try more. First was the Arancini which I really enjoyed. A great little starter. Perhaps you won’t grave them later but they were very pleasant as something small to share and start with. We also ordered the Buratta salad which was good but a little light. It said it had country ham but I did not see any otherwise the plate was delicate and the vegetables were very fresh. The buratta cheese was very good. They had mushroom gnocchi as a special which we ordered and this was probably my favorite part of the meal. I could have ate the whole order myself easily it was so good. We also had the NC trout which was excellent. It comes as a whole fish but the waitress de boned it so if that intimidates you don’t let it. I think I found maybe one tiny bone in the meat when I was eating it. She did an excellent job. The fish was tasty and comes with a sauce that I barley used which is unlike me, but the fish itself particularly the skin is so tasty.
They do charge a dollar if you want bread which seems a little odd considering how much you are paying for everything else but he bread was fantastic and well worth it. I highly recommend an order of it. For dessert we got coffee which was good and the ginger molasses cake. We both loved the cake.
Overall we were very full and could have easily skipped dessert. I understand why they are consistently mentioned as one of the best restaurants in Atlanta. I can’t wait to go back and explore other parts of the menu.

• Visited January 2014
jax
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Carrots with my check?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

They brought my side order of carrots after we finished the meal and would not remove it from the bill. Not very classy. Must really need the $7!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Jbjax
Canton, Georgia
“A favorite for celebrations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

this is well out of our way geographically for regular experiences so we tend to eat here only for special occassions...sad, since we would love to be able to experience it in smaller bits...but good since it's always an excellent experience for bigger ocassions.

visited last night to celebrate our daughter's 30th birthday and once again were pleased and impressed with both food and service. to begin, we had reservations at 6:15. left home in plenty of time with the majority of the party in our vehicle. sadly, atlanta traffic being what it is, always unpredictable, our regular calculation of 2X the number of miles = minutes for our drive didn't work. we got stuck in a huge back up and were 45 mins late arriving. the restaurant was not extremely busy and was kind enough to seat the rest of our party without us and allow them to have cocktails and nibbles while they waited for us rather than making them wait at the bar and/or giving away our table. this alone impressed me even more than in the past.

when we did finally arrive our expectations were met at every turn. our party enjoyed several of the cocktail menu offerings with the quartermaster and canal walk being the 2 favorites. service from the bar can be a bit slow, but we were in no rush so that didn't bother us. if you are in a hurry to get your drink on, you might find yourself frustrated on this count.

all but one of us made up our dinners from combinations from the small plates options. around the table we enjoyed the gnocci (perfect pillows of goodness in a well balanced ragu), eggplant & peanut pate (delicious & with the most amazing naan i've ever put in my mouth), the grilled carrot/avocado (great flavor!), the escarole/raddichio/kale salad (light tasty dressing), rosemary almonds, olives, chicken liver pate (not something i like but all those eating it said it was delicious) and several plates of the crispy quail (a 1/2 bird) which was crispy and very very tasty and served with a complimenting slaw. the one person in our party who ordered a regular entree had the snapper which he described as very tasty but too small a portion to satisfy him. we also had a side of the polenta which did not dissapoint - creamy and just the right amount of cheese to flavor. the one disappointment in dinner was the lamb tongue small plate. something about the mix of flavors in this dish was off-putting to all of us who tasted it. it was the only dish that wasn't finished with satisfaction at this meal. it's not something we'd order again.

dessert also satisfied. i had the creme caramel which had a great balance with tangerines and lemon zest. several members of the party enjoyed the flourless chocolate cake - i tasted it and while good, i have had better and was glad i hadn't settled for it. there was also a scoop of the evening's ice cream flavor at the table (pear) which i found quite wonderful but which my son described as 'too sweet'. my husband had the hazelnut offering which he enjoyed, but again, having tasted it as well i was happy i had ordered the creme caramel.

the wait staff was attentive and personable without being intrusive.

all in all we had a great experience and will visit again when the ocassion presents itself.

a word to the wise, it can be a bit pricey for a large group if drinks, alcohol, entrees, sides, desserts, coffee etc. are enjoyed. our bill for a party of 5 before tip and after tax was $298. pretty much what we expected for the type of celebration we anticipate for such gatherings.

• Visited November 2013