“Fantastic food”

Cuisines: Persian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

We've been meaning to try this place for awhile since we love Persian Turkish food. It was great, the kabob and service was excellent. Highly recommend

There are newer reviews for Colbeh Persian Kitchen & Bar

Reviewed 14 June 2013

I've been to Colbeh twice for dinner, both times on Thursday nights when an acoustic jazz quartet plays in the front of this very pleasant restaurant/bar on the Decatur Square. The interior is warm and inviting, the staff and service all I could ask for, there's a great list of craft beers, and the jazz musicians are wonderful. Unfortunately, the food is just sub-par. I'm not an expert on Persian food, but I've had it elsewhere and liked it. But here the hummus was way too garlicky (and I like garlicky hummus), my lamb shank was well cooked but badly in need of some salt, the rice both times was not quite hot enough, and on and on for both me and my wife. I'm gonna offer an unconditional recommendation that the way to enjoy Colbeh is to come in on a Thursday evening after you have eaten, order a drink or two and enjoy the jazz.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

This was recommended to us by the innkeeper at the Bed and Breakfast in Decatur (a real one, not one of those air mattress website ones!) and we were very impressed. It was in a nice part of town, lots of people walking around after dark, so it felt safe, ample parking. Having never actually eaten Persian food before (but liking ethnic food) we gave it a try and was glad we did. The young woman serving us was friendly but not overly chatty, the food came out promptly enough that we had time to chat, it was well presented, hot, and very tasty. I can't pronounce what we ate for an appetizer, but it was delicious with chopped olives and walnuts! We had the lamb dish, and it was an ample portion, appropriately priced for fine dining.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We were in Decatur for the annual Art Festival and started wandering around the town square (of which two sides are lined with numerous restaurants). We accidentally found this place after walking right past it and noticing what the outdoor patrons were eating. Having not eaten non-fast food ME or Persian dishes in about 5 years, I instantly began craving. Plus, my wife has never tried non-fast food ME/Persian before. The staff was friendly. Our server Abdul was very informative and explained that they were normally only open during evenings but were open for lunch through the weekend due to the fest. He also went down the menu and explained the major dishes and what to expect in terms of flavors and presentation. I ordered the Lamb Shank stew with a basmati-dill-saffron blend. My wife had the Express sandwich with kebab chicken. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal - it was flavorful and had a pleasant aroma that I had forgotten. The portions were average and weren't gut-busting. I'd definitely return to this restaurant again the next time I'm in Decatur. (Also, the have live jazz during weekend evenings!)

Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

Went with five other friends last night, and we all shared. Everything was great. The kabobs were juicy and flavorful, and even the rice beds were colorful, flavorful and interesting.

If you don't want to drop $22 on a kabob plate, don't miss the grape leaves (amazing here) and the lentil and eggplant soup, a bowl of which is huge, filing and delicious at $8. They serve delicious bread for free too,
Making it even easier to be thrifty and full at the same time.

There are plenty of great beers available, and the one friend in our group who drank wine was happy with her selection.

Our waiter was fast, friendly, knowledgeable.