“Location is so awful, it overrides EVERYTHING”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Decatur
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

First off, this was purchased through a secret price - where you don't get to select the hotel because the price and hotel are too good to reveal. It should be illegal for such places to be listed and available through such services - safety should NEVER be compromised. I have stayed in the burbs of Atlanta many times, that is why I didn't think the price seemed out of the ordinary. Unlike other reviews, the room was clean, the premise seemed alright in relation to cleanliness, so on this criteria, it is okay for a one night stay. However, again, this is overridden by the location! AWFUL and extremely sketchy. The other encounter is the front attendant tried to charge me twice for the room but I had a hard copy of reservation indicating I had already paid, it seemed apologetic, so it may have been a simple error or not. Thank goodness I had the pre-paid reservation as I could not imagine the hassle of trying to get my money back or paying anything more for this place. I rarely state this but pay a little more and go somewhere else!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Jamie1310
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed 9 July 2013

In April I decided to take my grandson's on a road trip to Florida from Ohio and back. I planned every hotel to the letter and forgot about the very last one on returning home, so I had a cousin book this one for us. When we arrived, and saw where it's located, I knew instantly this was not the place I needed to be with me being the only adult with 2, 3 yr olds, an 8, 11, 12 and 15 year old minors to accompany me. The place was dark and there were people in the parking lot, and we drove up we saw someone peaking out of one of the windows. It was around 1 or 2:00 a.m when we arrived. Since we were going to be leaving early, I thought that I would not unpack our van, but after seeing this place I thought better of it. After checking in and seeing the desk clerk behind a bullet proof glass, and the condition of the lobby, I wanted to cry it was awful but it was to late to go anywhere else. We went up to our room, and to say that the room was not very clean, is an understatement. I pulled the comforters off of the beds. And after having the kids pull the curtains, and gave them strict orders not to open the door. I went searching for a store for disinfectant and other items to clean the room with. While I was gone, I called a local relative and told her where we were staying and she told us, that place was the worst place ever, and that I should get back, stay there with the kids and lock up. If I need help to call right away! OMG I was frightened to death. We could've gone over to her house, but we had made several trips to unpack and I was to afraid to load up that late, and felt it safer to just stay put until day light. I got back and there were people standing around the lobby, in the parking lot and all of them were frightening. I could not tell if drugs were being sold, but I do know that the one peeking out of the window had to have been someone that lived on the premises, because all night someone was in and out of that room. Please do not take your family or even just yourself there. Do not stay here. It is dangerous and not at all a place that you would feel safe in. I always rely on TripAdvisor's for reviews, I didn't this time because I didn't book this hotel, but if I had, this place was not immediately available before I wrote them about a listing for this place in April after I'd returned. You see this is my 2nd review on this place and somehow it was not posted? I am taking the time to re-write this because it is just that important to me to make people aware of this hotel. It should not be listed anywhere. choice hotels should be ashamed, in listing this place for unsuspecting travelers, this should be for locals only, if they dare!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Sheleneb
Reviewed 11 April 2013

The clerk at the hotel and the gas station across the street hiding behind 2 inch thick glass, was a giveaway. The cops surrounded our car and figured we were either there for a hooker or some drugs. Once they realized we were just there by mistake, they told us we would be fools to spend the night. The area is a regular on the show cops. Murder and robbery is a common occurrence in this area no less this hotel parking lot. Ended up spending 4 times the price at the Marriot in down town Decatur, but that hotel was wonderful and safe.

Run don't walk away from this place. Econo Lodge isn't the best hotel, but this was a surprise at how terrible this really was.

Thank god we are alive.

Room Tip: None in this hotel
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank King5899
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Went to Georgia to visit a friend, another friend booked the rooms without checking it out thoroughly. Needless to say the place is a good place to score drugs and get robbed. If the smelly rooms don't make you want to run, the 2 inch thick plexiglass cage surrounding the front desk should tell you all you need to know! Was warned by local cops sweeping the area not to stay there. Needless to say, we didn't.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Joseph L
Reviewed 15 April 2011

Got caught in a big storm and decided to rest for a few hours. Not wanting to plunk down $100 for a few hours I checked the rate here. Was reasonable so I stayed. Ended up falling asleep and leaving the next morning. The rooms weren't great, but not awful. Didn't see any of the shady characters that the other reviewers mentioned, but I was on the far side of the hotel. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for and this place is not bad.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank mjones877
Reviewed 31 March 2011

The owner seemed very nice and friendly until we had paid for the room and saw that it was not fit to stay in. The sheets on the beds and the bathroom was very dirty so I called down stairs and told the guy that the sheets needs to be changed and he said no you bring the sheets off the bed and I will give you some more. so I went back to the front and ask him for my money back and he said sorry no refund. I had booked 2 rooms for 2 nights so then he agreed to reimburst me for one of the nights so we got into a verbal argument and he became very rude so we left and went back up stairs and when we came back down to talk to the owner there was a guy standing their talking to the owner and as we came in he was rushing the guy away telling him that he will call him and the whole while the owner was talking to him he was looking down reading an envelope. so the guy finally left and went back to his room where he lives at . So I walked up to the check in window and saw the note that was written on the envelope thats read " SHOOT EM IN THE HEAD" so we assumed that they were plotting on us being that we had just had an argument with the owner so we act as if we didnt see the note and went up stairs and got the kids and gathered up ours things and left! That was the most scaries thing we had ever experience!!! We almost lost our lives all because we wanted our money back!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank lucky35243
Reviewed 22 July 2010

. . .and I've stayed at some doozies. I had to ask for another room because someone had put chewing gum in the door so it wouldn't lock. The place is crawling with prostitutes on the weekend. It's clean, enough, I guess, but the whole building is dingy and obviously a den of ill repute. I wouldn't have stayed at all, but I had prepaid and didn't really have another option.

It doesn't look *anything* like the picture, except that it's a building, too.

Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank khalleron
Also consider these accommodations in or near Decatur
Affordable Hotel
Masters Inn Tucker
#3 of 11 in Tucker
Holiday Inn Express Atlanta-Emory University Area
Knights Inn Atlanta East

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!