“Went for book festival got great reads and hotel.”

Courtyard Atlanta Decatur Downtown/Emory
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Decatur
“Went for book festival got great reads and hotel.”
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

We wanted to go for the book festival so found this hotel had rooms. Pleasantly surprised easy check in, very good front desk staff, nice room right off the city square. Overall great experience and was a fair price for such a busy time. Always amazed by people that whine about hand soap etc bring your own!

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Denver
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a week on business. This hotel is fairly new and the lobby is very well-kept and has ample seating. It is connected to the convention center. Free wi-fi, HD flat screens and refrigerators in every room. This hotel is in walking distance to many eateries, independently owned businesses, cvs, Kroger, McDonald's and the MARTA subway system that can take you Downtown Atlanta, King Memorial, Airport and shopping malls for $2.50(one way). The hotel shuttle is complimentary with a 3-mile radius which is nice. On location is a bistro,bar and several grab-n-go options. There is complimentary coffee and assortment of teas every morning. No free breakfast though. There is a charge for parking per day. If your room is facing the atrium there is no window to the outdoors(just the lobby). **Please. Note: I heard from several hotel guest that lobby noise can be heard if your room faces the atrium.I left a personal belonging and it was mailed to my home in a very timely manner. Would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the atrium (lobby) do not have outdoor views. If you appreciate natural light than the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank L R
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I want to mention that this Courtyard is independently run from Marriott hotels, and while you can make reservations and view the hotel from the Marriott website, you may encounter some glitches in the process. I have made reservations to this hotel several times, and almost every time there is something wrong with my reservation (duplicates, different room than requested, and no reservation showing). In one incident, I was on the phone with Marriott reservations who were telling me that I have a confirmed reservation, at the same time the person at the front desk was telling me that I didn't have a reservation and that they were totally full. No explanation, no apologies, no 'let's see what we can do' just a "we're full, there's the door" approach.

Now, once you are in, this is a great and newly-renovated courtyard. The rooms are very comfortable, and the facilities modern, welcoming, and very clean. The rooms are the current Courtyard standard, so if you've seen one, it's exactly the same. The location is great, and the front desk staff make great efforts to help you, the shuttle and drivers are wonderful. Indoor pool is great for both older and younger kids (toddlers who can't swim yet). For getting around Atlanta it's right on a Marta stop, and central to most attractions to Atlanta.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Leighjohnwi
Mike R, General Manager at Courtyard Atlanta Decatur Downtown/Emory, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Leighjohnwi –Thank you for taking the time to complete the trip advisor review. I appreciate the great feedback on our front desk staff and the shuttle drivers. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoy the hotel and the local area. I do want to express my apologies about the reservation issues you have experienced and that our staff did not do more to accommodate you. Although you are correct in that we are not run by Marriott International, our systems still link together and the process should be seamless. I will work with our IT department to determine why these glitches are occurring. Please feel free to contact me at 678-244-9300 if you would be willing to provide a few more details such as the dates of your stays, if reservations where made through the internet, etc. In addition, I will ensure our front office manager does additional training with the staff on problem resolution. Thank you for providing me the opportunity to address these. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Europe
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Location: The hotel is approx. 30 minutes from the airport and 20 minutes from downtown; the neighbourhood in Decatur is very nice - great restaurants, bars and cafes; MARTA station (Atlanta Metro) is closeby
Check in: Smooth and professional; lobby seems to be new refurbished; staff could be more motivated sometimes when it comes to explaining the surrounding etc.
Room: The bed was very comfortable - nice mattress, good pillows and sheets; free wifi; no shower gel available; spacious room; but it was very loud and noisy because of window towards the lobby and thin walls
Cafe in the lobby: They offer Starbucks cafe, but are only open for some hours every day
Gym: Well equipped; not enough equipment during "rush hours" for all guests

Room Tip: Room should not face the lobby area
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mitzideluxe
Sarasota, Florida, United States
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I was impressed with everything that the hotel had to offer. The only downside was I requested for Hand Soap twice but never received it. Other than that everything from Parking lot to Check in process was excellent experience. I was there for a conference in May and was a quick short stay. Although I have never stayed with Marriott and was super impressed with this hotel and its staff. Hopefully I will be back soon. Thank you once again for excellent stay.

Room Tip: Corner room with street view is very Quiet and Peaceful
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Mike R, General Manager at Courtyard Atlanta Decatur Downtown/Emory, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
I'm delighted to hear about your great visit to our hotel for your conference. Our conference center has become a popular venue for corporate events, fundraisers and wedding receptions. I do want to apologize that we failed to deliver the extra soap that was requested. We will do some additional training with our housekeeping staff to ensure we respond to all guest requests in a timely manner. We hope to see you again!
washington dc
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Was in Decatur for a long weekend to visit family. i have never stayed in a Courtyard property. Room was nice, modern and very clean. i was grateful for the mini fridge and in-room coffee. Also had a nice late-night glass of wine at the lobby bar just before they closed up. There were a few downsides, however. Checking in was inconvenient because i had to enter the underground parking garage at the rear of the building with my car, park, unload, and then make my way thru the convention center to the lobby. They need a curb side check in option. Otherwise, check in staff was friendly. Also, the garage did not seem safe late at night. Seemingly anyone could enter the garage, then access the hotel elevators to rooms via the conference center without being seen by anyone at the front desk. Overall, parking underground was inconvenient and possibly unsafe. Also my room was on the 2nd floor overlooking the atrium and it was very loud. Both hallway and atrium were loud. Finally, upon checkout i was not asked about my stay. I think that is a mistake. Not sure i will stay again given the cumbersome parking situation.

Room Tip: Atrium rooms are loud.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank TroyDC
Mike R, General Manager at Courtyard Atlanta Decatur Downtown/Emory, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write a TripAdvisor review. I appreciate the feedback concerning your recent stay. Our guest safety is very important to us and I apologize that we did not provide you a feeling of security. We do have several measures in place which includes the use of a security company, assistance from the local police department and the need to use a room key when entering the hotel late at night. However, we will work with our security company to review ways in which to make improvements in this area. In regards to the check-out process, I agree that it is a mistake not to ask about a guest’s stay. This interaction is a great opportunity to get feedback while it is still fresh in the guest’s mind. This is something that I will ask our front office manager to reinforce with his team. Thanks again for the review and for staying with us.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Layout is somewhat similar to an Embassy Suites Hotel. Rooms and lobby area have been recently renovated. Rooms (which are not suites) are a bit larger than average. Everything was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. Parking was extremely inexpensive ($4 day). Room price seemed fine to me ~$120/night. Small breakfast diner around the corner was convenient for breakfast (hotel shuts down breakfast service and coffee at 10am). Plenty of other wonderful (non chain) drink and food options within 3 blocks of the hotel. I don't see the need to stay anywhere else if you are in Decatur.

Someone, in a recent review, said that the hotel was in a so-so neighborhood. Please note that this is completely UNTRUE. The wife and I went for a run one morning, the city is full of amazing historic homes and lush tree lined streets. The listings posted in a local realtor storefront indicated $500,000 price ranges. Doesn't sound so-so to me.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Decatur
Poncey-Highland
Midtown
Artmore Hotel
Artmore Hotel
#14 of 171 in Atlanta

Been to Courtyard Atlanta Decatur Downtown/Emory? Share your experiences!