Courtyard Atlanta Decatur Downtown/Emory
US$76
  • Free Internet
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfront deskparking garageper daywithin walking distanceroom was cleanvery nice hotelrestaurants and shopscourteous staffbusiness hotelmarta stationrestaurant optionsfitness centermain lobbydefinitely stay here againi highly recommend this hotelstayed two nightsvery nice stay
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stay here frequently for work related visits. The staff is friendly and makes every effort to note that you are returning by using your name and welcome back scripts. Lots of places to walk to for dinner. Parking is 8 dollars per night if you get a hotel window card which allows you to park on the main level. Parking is 5 dollars per night if you park on one of the other floors in the parking garage. The room decor is standard mid level hotel decor. The showers are awfully weak though.

Overall, a good place to stay but make sure you plan to eat out for breakfast/lunch/dinner because the Bistro is only open for a brief time in the morning, closed for lunch and open for drinks and dinner sandwiches.

Room Tip: An inside room means you get no direct sunlight...may be a problem for some.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stay here to attend my niece's wedding at Callanwolde Fine Art Center. The lobby is a large open atrium style. I don't know the history of this property but I suspect it wasn't originally a Courtyard. In my experience, the Courtyard brand has a complimentary breakfast, small pool, small lobby, etc. This is more of a small hotel with a spacious lobby, nice indoor pool, though small, and a bistro in the lobby. There is lots of seating in the lobby to sit and chat over coffee with friends. So, that makes it a good location for an event with many families or groups coming - such as a wedding.

They told us that they have very few rooms with fold-out sofas. That was a negative for us. Our kids are to the point where two queen beds is a bit tight and we use a pull out sofa for one of them. But we made do.

Parking is on premise in a garage between the convention center and hotel. You do not have to go outside to enter either but you do have to change elevators. The garage is TIGHT! Watch out for the concrete piers and if you have a mini-van or big SUV you might think about staying somewhere else. Also, when we were leaving this morning, one of the wedding party discovered their front passenger window had been broken and a laptop was stolen. So, guard your valuables. I didn't see any loiterers so the area generally looks safe.

There are several restaurants within a very short walk but we did not get to try any due to our schedule.

We actually decided to go to The World of Coca Cola. I am originally from a town 60 miles from Atlanta so I am familiar with the city. I just never had a good idea how easy it was to get from Decatur to the Centennial Park area where WOCC is. Piece of cake and if this hotel had the room furnishing our family needs, I'd stay here on ever visit. It would be nice to have a complimentary breakfast though.

Room Tip: They all seem to be about the same. The street isn't busy so there's very little noise to worry about and no real view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Mike R, General Manager at Courtyard Atlanta Decatur Downtown/Emory, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

ClarkCreek –
Thank you for taking the opportunity to review our hotel after staying here for your recent conference. I appreciate the feedback about our location, cleanliness and staff. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Decatur area, found our hotel clean and overall felt our staff was friendly. I do apologize that upon your arrival we failed to provide the recognition of your Gold Elite Status. We do value the business that our elite members bring to Marriott and should show our appreciation for this loyalty. At our hotel we have a program in place to provide our Elite Members a 25% discount in the bistro and room upgrades when available. It is disappointing that our guest service agent failed to offer this to you. If possible, can you please call me at 678-244-9300 so I can get a little more information in order to provide additional training to the appropriate staff member?

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Here for a short conference, the quiet location in Decatur was very nice and safe. Many things were within easy walking distance (McDonald's - 1 blk, Chik-fil-a - 6 blks, Publix - 4 blks, nice downtown area -3 blks, and MARTA subway station - 4 blks). The facility was well-maintain, with a very nice, spacious lobby area. The open area had 3 complimentary computers, a boarding pass printer, free coffee in the morning, restaurant, small 'store' and microwave. My room was clean and furniture and carpet was well maintained. The first night I was there I was disappointed by the very thin towels; however, thicker towels were provided the next two nights. I was also very disappointed with the lack of recognition as a Gold Marriott Rewards member ... other than a brief thank you for being a member, I received no recognition. When I asked if they had a complimentary room upgrade, they made me feel embarrassed for even asking. Staff were friendly during my stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Not Up to Par - Night of the Living Dead

This newly refurbished Courtyard by Marriott is nicely appointed, but fails to deliver on the basics, unfortunately.

As a longtime fan of Decatur, I've been anxiously awaiting the opening of this hotel. Set in the prime footprint of the former Decatur Holiday Inn, the new Courtyard has been under renovation for more than a year.

And at a glance, it looks well worth the wait. Within walking distance of the quaint and hip downtown Decatur area, the stylish and modern hotel seems perfect for a weekend couple's getaway or small to mid-size business conference or event.

And maybe one day it will be. But today doesn't seem to be that day, just yet.

At the end of the day, the most basic service a hotel provides is a place to sleep. And stylish rehabs not withstanding, this is unfortunately the service that the Courtyard fails to deliver.

We checked in later in the evening on Friday, and asked for a late checkout, if possible. Graciously, the desk clerk said we could stay until 1PM the following day, and made a note of it on the check-file (this will be important later, stay tuned).

After later returning from a night of dining with friends, we hit the sack well after midnight. Which is when things slowly started to go from bad to worse, like something out of a sit-com.

After cleaning up, the first thing we noticed was that the toilet continued to run. Not just the sort of long-time-to-complete-the-cycle-run, but rather more of the very-loud-and-just-never-stops variety.

We attempted to jury-rig a solution. But the stubborn toilet won the day and continued it's racket. And for a small room...it really was quite a lot of noise. So, we called the front desk and asked if someone from maintenance could assist. We were told someone would be up right away.

20 minutes later with no help in sight, we called back to check on the progress. We were told something else had come up that the maintenance department needed to work on, but that they'd be up shortly.

After 15 or so minutes, we called back and told them not to worry about it; that we would just deal with it; we preferred to go to sleep by this point.

20 or so minutes later, now approaching 2AM and us just having dozed off, was, of course, when the maintenance person knocked loudly on the door. Hop up, throw on some pants, groggily answer the door and politely tell them not to worry about it, we were retired for the night, thanks anyway.

And for the next hour and a half, I'm happy to say we slept very comfortably and soundly.

That is, until the hotel-wide fire alarm began to roar at piercing decibel level loud enough to wake the dead. Appropriate, perhaps, given that Atlanta is home to many episodes of the fun TV series, "The Walking Dead".

Adrenaline and heart pumping, we hopped out of bed and hastily threw on some clothes, preparing to evacuate. And then, after 60 or so seconds...the alarm stopped. Blissful silence followed. I checked the hallway, and all appeared well. I also peeked out the window to the parking lot; no sign of trouble and no emergency vehicles.

Warily, we concluded that it must have been a false alarm. Our heart-rate now having returned to within a hundred or so percent of normal, we crawled back under the covers, sighed, and closed our eyes, heading back towards our goal: sleep.

About ten minutes later, the fire-alarm strobe-light in the room began to fire. There was no klaxon this time, but the powerful strobe-light combined with the ongoing racket of the running toilet turned the room into one of the creepy corridors from the classic horror movie, "Alien" for about five minutes. Fun stuff.

Eventually the in-room-fireworks stopped, and we were left only with the relatively benign toilet noise, something that at this point had become seemingly relaxing in comparison. That is, until...

...8AM and a soft knocking comes on the door, followed by an attempt to open the door from outside the room. I race to the door half-naked and find...the cleaning crew. Given we'd watched in person as the desk clerk made note of our late checkout time of 1PM, this seemed like an odd oversight. Back to sleep. That is, until...

...9AM and the same thing happens. Knocks followed by attempts to open the door by a determined cleaning person. The Siege of Stalingrad might have gone better for the Nazi's if they'd had the sheer willpower of the Courtyard Cleaning Regiment.

Upon checkout, I smiled and politely told the desk clerk that I'd like to speak to someone about a credit for the night's stay. He thought for a moment and said, "I might be able to help you if you tell me about it." I politely replied that I preferred someone who could definitely help me, and that "might" wasn't good enough today.

I got another couple of minutes of semantic runaround and left, deciding to let Marriott keep my money, and resigning myself to a Yelp review...and hopefully a nap later.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank ikemcf
Mike R, General Manager at Courtyard Atlanta Decatur Downtown/Emory, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Ikemcf –
Thank you for taking the time to provide the feedback concerning your recent stay at the Decatur Courtyard. I appreciate your comments and want to express my sincere apologies about the service level from our operations team. It is embarrassing and disappointing that our staff was unable to provide you with an experience expected at a Marriott.
First of all, our engineering team should have corrected the running toilet prior to your arrival at the hotel. But, when issues do arise our team should respond timely and not leave our guests waiting in the middle of the night. Next, as you stated, our housekeeping team must do a better job of paying attention to the details and respecting our guest’s desire to sleep in. Lastly, and maybe most importantly, our desk staff represents the entire hotel and must be able to definitely provide assistance.
The difficulties that you encountered are unacceptable and please be assured that I will address these with the staff members involved and their managers. We will also conduct additional training with all staff members to prevent similar occurrences.
Your business is very important to use and I would like to earn it back. I would be very appreciative if I can have a few minutes of your time to discuss more details and to determine a resolution. I can be reached at 678-873-8384.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We chose this hotel as it was close to family in the area.
Very friendly front desk staff at check in. The room was a good size and the bathroom well appointed and stocked (there were four of us). We found the beds comfortable.
We used the pool a few times and found it OK.
The Bistro had a reasonable selection of food and Starbucks coffee. The staff at the Bistro were very friendly and helpful.
Parking was conveniently located in the under the hotel and easily accessed via an elevator or stairs.
Nice property and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room facing the outside versus a room facing the atrium.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family