“Didn't live up to the hype”
Review of Dillard House

Dillard House
Ranked #5 of 17 Restaurants in Dillard
Price range: US$14 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: The Dillard House offers a Family Style dinning experience!
Greenville, South Carolina
“Didn't live up to the hype”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I first heard of the Dillard House about 20 years ago, finally made it there this week. While the service was okay, we were disappointed with the food. I had fried chicken and my husband had country fried steak. They were okay. The lima beans and yeast roll were pretty good, the cole slaw was average, and the cabbage casserole was interesting. Beyond that, the sweet potato pie had been spiced to death, no flavor of sweet potato remained. The desserts were the most disappointing item of all. The chocolate cream pie had no chocolate flavor and wasn't creamy, it was sludgy. The meringue seemed fake somehow. Honestly, the pie was just awful, my husband tasted it and didn't find it good either - and he eats anything dessert! I need to send my mama over to these folks for a few days so she can teach them how to make a good chocolate pie. My husband had the buttermilk pie. It was edible, but that's pretty much where it stopped. Boring and plain. I doubt we would revisit the Dillard House

2 Thank Lisa F

• Thai first
Atlanta, Georgia
“You better be hungry”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The service is superb and the family owned experience makes it a real joy to go back year after year. Horse back rides were fun for the kids, the scenery is gorgeous, the food is ALWAYS good (and much more than you can eat) and John Dillard is one of the best host in the business. My family has been going here for 40 + years and will continue for 40 more! If you are staying there, see if you can get a room in the old historic Dillard house and plan for some porch hours to relax and take in the view of the famous Rabun Gap Nacoochee school.

• Visited August 2013
Georgia
“Thank you for a yummy time”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The food was excellent. The service... well the young lady that started with us, did not end with us - but the last server who took care of us did an amazing job. She kept coming back and checking on us. We did not see the beginning server the rest of the time. Did not know how to tip because of this. We wanted to make sure the 2nd one received the tip b/c she did the most work & was so helpful & kind.

Lakeland, Florida
“oh so good”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

my husband and I have eaten here about 5 times now. all the food comes to the table in bowls,if you need more, they will bring more if you run out. you can also take it home if you don't eat it all. very good food. we will go back we are planning a trip for thanksgiving, I m sure it will be good

• Visited November 2013
Orlando, FL
“great lunch”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I was expecting the worst after reading some of the recent reviews but it was the same Dillard House as I remembered from several years ago. Family style lunch costs just under $20 per adult, just under $10 for kids age 3 and up, and toddlers under 3 are free. They also now have a second option. For $11.95 ish, you could order one meat and three sides.

My group went with the family style as we wanted to try everything. The service was good and quick. We asked for a little more of several dishes and they brought out full portions. After the meal, we were able to box up and take our left overs home. I wish I would have know that before we ate lunch because I would have ordered more of some things. But with what we had left over, we had a full dinner of left overs the next night.

The food was good but we thought the fried chicken was great. The only negative was that the lemonade tasted like sugar water.

Great lunch!