“beautiful scenery...wish the room was as nice....”
Review of Dillard House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dillard
Dillard House
Ranked #2 of 2 Dillard B&B and Inns
Signal Mountain, Tennessee, United States
“beautiful scenery...wish the room was as nice....”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This was my second visit to Dillard House. My first visit was 10 years ago. My husband and I went to Dillard to go to the Highlands. The trip was a spur of the moment. The fall colors were wonderful!! The room was in the Rabun Bald and was okay but just okay. The bed had a broken spring in the box springs. The toilet kept filling up all night. The linens on the bed had some type of odor that made my eyes burn and itch,. We took it off the bed and got blankets out of the closet and things were fine. None of this was so major that it effected our trip. All I can say is a little updating after 10 years would be helpful., The small coffee maker in the room was a waste of time....coffee was so strong we dumped it in the sink. I wish the room was scenic as the setting. I will go back but may check out something else in the area. Or a different room at Dillard house. Maybe a cottage!!

Room Tip: Try a newer room. Maybe a cottage not Rabun Bald...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Clarkesville
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary yesterday at the Dillard House and immensely enjoyed the overall experience. There is always room for improvement, of course, and the Dillard House is no exception.

Our luncheon at the restaurant was somewhat disappointing compared to past dining experiences there. Our service was as always excellent, and we especially enjoyed the collards, sweet corn and fried chicken. A dish new to us, cabbage casserole (I don't know what else to call it), was to die for, and the blackberry cobbler was fabulous.

On the other hand, the green beans were tasteless, the fried okra didn't seem to be fresh okra and was too heavily breaded, and most disappointing of all...the baby-back ribs, while "done," were so tough that they were practically inedible. I ate a single rib and had to use a knife to cut it. The chefs at the Dillard House can do better than this. About two more hours in the smoker, guys!

We spent the night in room 174 in the "Highlands." Our suite was spacious, gorgeously furnished and sparkling clean. The only problem is that the firewood furnished to us was "green" and wouldn't burn without a LOT of help. We called for additional firewood and "starter sticks' and received them; fortunately, I had an axe in my car and split up a few chunks into smaller pieces and thereby finally had a decent fire in our fireplace. Next time, and there WILL BE a next time, I'll take my own firewood.

That's it. Thank you, Dillard House, for making our wedding anniversary a very special occasion.

Kim

1 Thank Kim S
Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The Dillard House is one of the most amazing properties we have ever experienced. They offer suites and hotel/inn style rooms as well as 9 rental homes/chalets on a mountainside 2 miles from the main property, which is where we stayed. The family style dining offered at the Dillard House restaurant was amazing and all you can eat. The chalet was clean and stocked with linens/towels, firewood for fireplace, private driveway, rocking chairs and bbq grill on a wrap around porch offered spectacular views, A/C and heating, full kitchen w/appliances, 2 queen bedrooms + pullout sofa slept 4-6 people. There was no coffee or breakfast provided. Great place to bring the whole family for a week of horseback riding and hiking and relaxation. Extremely affordable at $189 per night. Only negative: the mattresses must have been cheap or very old cuz we were rolling in towards each other the entire night and both woke up pretty sore.

Blue Ridge, GA
Reviewed 23 September 2013

A great experience at the Dillard House. Rooms were very clean and country atmosphere right outside your room doors. A misty mountain morning was also enjoyed along with in-room coffee. Family style dinning - breakfast, lunch & dinner. Food was plentiful. Only thing was the use of MSG in the food. Plenty of parking.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Blogger21
Canton, Georgia
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed at Rabun Bald one of the places offered. Our room had a separate bedroom with a king size bed and a sitting room with a huge fireplace. Unfortunately it was too warm to use. Each unit has access to the back porch with big rocking chairs to enjoy the beautiful views. The room had both a tub and a separate large tile area. Bathroom was very spacious. Also a small area that had a wet bar, small refrig. and table. The place needs some updating. The coffee table in the sitting room was on its last leg and the deck area needed staining as well as the rockers. Also attention to cleaning the webs outside would be helpful. The grounds are beautiful offering horseback riding for any level, a small petting zoo area with barn animals, horseshoes swimming and a hot tub. I suggest you eat other places. Meals are served all you can eat family style but are a little on the high side. Breakfast lunch and dinner are served this way. Soft drinks are extra as well as wine. The bed was way too soft and squeaky.

Room Tip: Corner suites are great. Would not spend the money on a fireplace unit unless in deep fall and or wi...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Could not believe that at 7 am some guy was outside the room with a blower doing landscape. What a terrible way to wake up in the mountains. Have been here before and specified the room. Well when we got here they had made a mistake and too bad they could not fix it. Came with my family, but personally will find another place next time. Too many to chose from.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Rocksoldier

Travellers are raving about these Dillard hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 September 2013

After some confusion on our reservation, they really made our stay great. We stayed with another couple in Eddie's cabin. It's a perfect weekend getaway cabin to share with friends with a hot tub and fantastic proximity to the dining hall (est 100 feet).

This was my first visit and my wife's 4th. She raved about the food for years and I have to admit that it was ok. I love the family style, but the presentation felt like I was one of the herd. The staff wasn't vocal, just the basics. The food is brought out and set on the table without any explanation or information. They could make a better impact by presenting the food with helpful & interesting facts like most of the items were locally grown/produced. The food was great especially the fried Okra. It did have a musty smell coming from the carpet. I think a hardwood floor renovation would be a tremendous upgrade.

I read the good & bad reviews, so the best advice I can give other travelers is do your homework and know what you're getting. Go if you are looking for a relaxing place with older décor, great southern food/hospitality & great views. Don't if you're looking for 5 star, white glove pampering.

I gave it a very good rating due to the confusion on the reservation, but the other items are worth it. The front desk manager more than made up for it. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Check out all the pictures posted on the reviews and know what you want before you reserve. This is...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MichaelK614
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dillard
Knights Inn Dillard
Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant
Rabun Manor
Rabun Manor
#1 of 2 in Dillard

Been to Dillard House? Share your experiences!