“Holiday Inn Express hotels are all not the same”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Douglas
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Douglas
Atlanta, GA
“Holiday Inn Express hotels are all not the same”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stay at a hotel and getting a clean room is a good thing. But this time we had two different rooms between our group and one room was clean while another needed repair.

Breakfast was a waste of time. As someone said, the heated pool was not heated at all. The sauna does not work and the hot tub has been removed and cemented over sometime ago.

No WIFI in our room. Had to sit in the lobby to get on the Internet. We overheard other guests have not so good things to say about their stay here.

Sometimes you get a clean room and then, this time, our friends did not.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
13 Thank RedTraveler23
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Douglas, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear RedTraveler23,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. We are sincerely sorry to read about your negative experience over some of the hotel facilities. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and take actions accordingly. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I was traveling for business and ended up here for 2 nights. I had stayed here a couple of years back and it was great....this time just ok. I am not sure what has happened to the property but it is still fairly knew but not impressive. The check-in was ok, breakfast ok, room ok....not one of those "I am not ready to leave" places on my list. The hallways smelled of smoke, room musty. No place I would want to stay again unless I had too. Will check out other properties in the area for the next stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank LSanders810
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Douglas, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
DearLSanders810,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. It is regrettable we fell short of your expectations this particular day. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and rest assured, your input will be shared with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvement to this identified weakness and rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Connie D
Mims, Florida
Reviewed 31 March 2014

After my experiences at this hotel, I will not be staying here in the near future. Not even if they paid me. And as a frequent traveler, I have or had a complimentary room I had earned at this hotel and I cancelled it and booked another room, at another hotel and gladly paid full price.

A few things we found were a hot tub, that the hotel still shows in their pictures, was removed at least six months ago. The front desk said the hot tub never got hot. The “indoor heated” pool they advertise was ice cold. Seems they were having heater problems. The sauna was not working. No one seemed to know how to turn it on. At 7PM at night, they even could not turn on the lights in the pool area.

How would you feel if you opened the dresser drawer to unpack and found two empty soda bottles and a pair of soiled men’s boxers?

The WI-FI was not working. Kept getting limited access or no internet connectivity warning. The hotel next door did allow me to sit in my car and use their WIFI access on my laptop.

Reading reports about the poor breakfast at this hotel. Breakfast hours are 6:30 to 9:30. By 7, there were shortages of food. And the dining area was almost empty. The food and service was so bad, we were grateful for the nearby restaurants, where we went to finish our breakfast.

As I said, when you travel often, you sometimes earn points you can use to get free rooms in the future. We had a free room reserved a few months later and disliked the experience at this hotel so much that we cancelled a free room and paid full price to stay at another chain all together.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
14 Thank Bruce P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Douglas, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear weekend_traveler_9,

Thank you for your review about your stay. It is truly unfortunate to see that you did not fully enjoy your time at the hotel. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Dhan M
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I was briefly in Douglas on visit, walked in to this property and received a great rate on the spot. This hotel is in line with most of the Holiday Inn Express's. It was clean, the staff was super nice and the cookies in the lobby were actually good. Came with the standard free breakfast they offer, for the price you can't beat it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank minnow1982
Smyrna, Georgia
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We had two rooms reserved for a chess tournament. Our reservation came through perfectly and they honored our request for adjoining rooms. A plus!

The suite rooms are very spacious and kept well. One minor point - the shampoo bottles are difficult to tell if full or not and my shampoo bottle was almost completely empty. I was already in the shower when I made this discovery and did not ask for another bottle, although I'm sure they would have been more than happy to provide. Internet was free and easy to access.

Breakfast was fairly basic. They were out of pre-made omelets by the time I arrived and they were not replenished during the time I was there. I've seen these breakfast areas kept better at other hotels, but it was not bad.

Employees were courteous and kind. We had a pleasant stay and I would not mind staying again. I would look for cheaper rates, or cheaper options, however.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Fun F
Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This hotel was a pleasant surprise for such a small town hotel. The room was very spacious and the bathroom was a good size as well. The staff for check in and out made the process go quick and painless. Their breakfast was good and enough to get me on the move. The air and the wifi worked good as well since I need it for work. All and all it was a good price for your money stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Lancaster, SC
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Douglas on several occasions and have always been pleases. Fast and friendly check-in each time and the rooms have always be in good shape. Always fresh and clean. Bed was very comfortable and had a great air conditioner which was nice in that HOT Georgia heat ! Wi-Fi was usually pretty fast. Breakfast seemed to be lacking in taste in comparison to most Holiday Inn Express that I frequently stay at. Overall I would say this location is probably the best hotel in Douglas. I would surely stay here again if in town on business.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business