US$126
Western Motel(Fitzgerald)
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$70
Travelocity
All reviewsnice place to stayroom was largefree breakfaststaircasehousekeeping
Reviewed 13 September 2017

I booked this motel with a lot of other people in other rooms because we evacuated from a hurricane. This motel, and every other one within 300 miles, was completely booked due to the hurricane. This review takes that information into account. Items are mentioned in no particular order.
Upon checking in, I lugged my cooler, kids, and cat to my 2nd floor room to find out that it hadn't been cleaned. I was tanxious to get the kitty in the room so we could run to walmart to get her a litter box. I tried to call the front desk to let them know, and the phone was not working, so I had to leave the kids and cat in the room while I went to front desk. I was given a key to another room to check if it had been cleaned, and it was. So we moved the cat and cooler to head to walmart. It was truly a hassle to lug all of our supplies to our 2nd floor room. Since we were evacuating for weather, we brought lots of board games to keep us occupied, some non-perishable food items, paper goods, etc. We had more stuff than we usually would have. I had arrived into town about 2 hours before the room was ready, and had to run an errand on the way, so a 90 minute drive turned into over 4 hours in the car for the cat. Totally not the hotels fault, but after all that, I was more than annoyed lugging stuff to the 2nd floor. Also not the motel's fault, but something to keep in mind that there is no elevator and what your purpose of stay is.
I checked the beds, walls, and bathroom, and everything was clean. I was pretty impressed on the cleanliness as I had seen some mixed reviews saying there was mold/mildew, etc.
The A/C is loud and obnoxious. I don't feel that it cooled like a central a/c system, but I guess it's not supposed to. I had to keep the temp around 70, and at home I keep my central a/c on 77. I guess that's typical for those motel room a/c units. It did cool. It did not constantly run, so it cut off and turned back on when it got warm in the room (I read another review regarding this, and it's spot on accurate on the obnoxiousness of the a/c unit). It's loud when it turns on and when it turns off, and it kept waking me up throughout the night after around 3am. Every night.
The room is dark; it definitely could use more lights, or brighter bulbs. Even with the drapes open and all the lights on (bathroom included), it seemed gloomy. We had every light in the room on whenever we were in the room.
There is a laundry room on the 2nd floor, but the door had a padlock on it. When I enquired at the front desk about that, they said "if there's a lock on the door, then there's something wrong with the machines." But they didn't know what the problem was (which I found to be odd), or when/if the problem would be fixed. I was hoping to do laundry, and even brought my own soap, since I knew I would not have water or power to do it when returning home. The laundry facility never opened while I was there. Others planned on doing laundry as well.
There is only one ice machine, and it's on the 1st floor. That may be normal for these types of motels, but I almost always have a 1st floor room and wouldn't notice. Very, very annoying for a petite woman to put ice in a cooler and climb stairs. I bought a 20# bag of ice at Walmart up the road. Each day I tried to get more ice, and the ice machine was almost empty. I don't know if that was because the hotel was booked, or because of WHY the hotel was booked (hurricane, and everyone was filling beer coolers) or because the ice machine just sucks. It was clean though - I saw pictures in another post where there was mold or mildew in the bottom, but I looked, and it was CLEAN. The floor area around it was yucky though, and after it rained, it got yuckier from the extra water. A little annoying, but not a huge deal with gas stations all over to buy ice.
The pool looked dirty upon first look, but the "dirt" was actually just chips in the paint or whatever at the bottom. Pool was clean and opened until 10pm I believe. The kids seemed to enjoy the pool a lot, and it was a bonus.
The outside grounds were clean. I've seen another review on here that said there was trash everywhere, but that was not the case during my visit (and I spent a lot of time outside lugging coolers, climbing stairs, etc). I even saw a maintenance man sweeping up small garbage/debris in the parking lot while I was gazing from the window in my room. Maybe the previous review taught them something, but the parking lot was clean.
The staff was very attentive and courteous, true southern Georgia hospitality. I didn't always like what they had to say (no first floor room available, towels are dirty, etc), but they were always kind and apathetic. I heard they drove around to some of their other hotel chains looking for a pack n play for a guest because they were out. They even put clean sheets on it and delivered to the room.
The towel situation was a bit pathetic. I reserved a room for 4, and only had 3 towels in my room. Others I was traveling with only had 3 towels as well for 4 people. There are no pool towels offered, and there was never a mention that there would be a limit on the towels. After using the pool the first night, and therefore all 3 of our towels, we asked for more at the front desk so we could shower. I was told that there weren't any, they were dirty, and the housekeeping staff had already left for the day. I asked if they had pool towels, and I was told no. I asked why I wasn't informed about the towels, and I was apologized to, that had I gone to the desk before the pool I would have been told. I shouldn't have had to. I ALWAYS bring extra towels with me for this reason, plus hotel towels are too small, and I like to have extras for the pool. But I was trying to travel a little lighter this trip since I had extra hurricane supplies. BIG disappointment on the motel with this one. I understand that they were booked to capacity, but they should have enough towels at least for every person to have ONE. There should also be plenty extras for sell outs, especially when there is a pool. Others I traveled with had a huge grievance with the towel situation as well. I managed to get two dry ones in the morning when housekeeping showed up, but then they took them when they cleaned my room :( This is my biggest grievance with this hotel.
The wifi was spotty. I read in another review to ask for a room with good wifi, and I was told by the front desk that all the rooms have good wifi. I had patches of about 15 minutes without wifi which was a minor nuisance. I wasn't there for business needing to write a report or anything.
The breakfast varied each day and was nothing to write home about. The 1st day there were bagels and muffins, and everyday they had make-your-own waffles and cereal and coffee. Each day after that I saw no bagels, but instead a bunch of crappy Little Debbie type snacks. Oh well, I didn't come for the free breakfast, and I expected as little. I'm not complaining, as you can't really expect much at this price point, just worth mentioning if you expect bacon and eggs :)
I have seen a review on here that mentioned mildew, leaks, and no tub stopper - I think my friend got that room! The ceiling did have mildew and the smoke alarm was hanging from the ceiling (but it appeared to be functioning as the light was working). There was no stopper in the tub to give her baby a bath (my tub had a stopper), and the fridge leaked. If you read the review that I read, it does not appear that they fixed the issues in that room (or there's more than one).
Walls are thin. I heard people's rolling luggage going by my room early in the morning when they were headed out. I heard someone's tv for a little bit one time during the day, but other than that, I mostly just worried about people hearing me yell at my stir crazy kids ;-)
The microwave is super low wattage. It took twice as long to heat something up as normal. Five minutes for microwave popcorn is excessive. But...the micro worked. It also heated up my spaghettio's when I couldn't leave to get food because the hurricane came right through the town. Just worth noting that it will take double the time.
The building is set up with 2 floors facing the parking lot and 2 floors facing the pool. If you are on the pool side, you have quite a bit further to walk. Parking lot side is more convenient unless you want to watch people in the pool.
The toilet appeared to be leaking. For the first 2 days there, I couldn't figure out why the bathroom floor had water on it in the morning. I eventually realized the toilet was leaky.
It did appear that some rooms were more updated than others (newer carpet, etc) so maybe it's a process. There was tile under the vanity in my room which was perfect for my kitty's litter box. Trash cans located by both staircases to rid your room of food items (I don't like to keep trash overnight; it smells and brings in bugs).
All in all, this served its purpose. I would probably stay again, but bring my own towels and ice. Would be a great value for just an overnight stay to lay your head and shower. I stayed for 4 days. I dropped one star because it's not the Ritz Carlton or a Hilton, and I dropped another star for towel situation. Ask for a 1st floor room if you have a cooler!!

Room Tip: Ask for 1st floor room on parking side (odd numbered rooms)
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank dlphn501
quality3799, Manager at Econo Lodge Douglas, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Thank you so much for writing a review on our Hotel, we are pleased that you stayed with us during this difficult time that everyone was facing, I do apologize that we did not have any down stairs rooms available during your stay we had elderly people that needed those rooms due to they could not climb the stairs, we normally have extra towels for guest to enjoy our pool but there was so many people that supply was limited to the towels, we try our best to keep this place clean for everyone that comes visits us, We thank you so much for all your feed back during your stay.

Sincerely

Stewart

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

I had to clean our room before we could even settle in. We were a late night check in, if it had been earlier I would have demanded a different room. The toilet was so dirty, we would not even use it before disinfecting it. Glad I brought wipes. I was so grossed out, I checked to see if the sheets were clean. Still don't know for sure, because the lamps didn't work. The table in the room was broken and just put together, I kept thinking it was going to break and I would be charged for it. I am highly upset. We had small children with us. I will be writing their corporate headquarters.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
quality3799, Manager at Econo Lodge Douglas, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Hi thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your experience, We have staff on duty 24/7 we would have came and cleaned your room if it was dirty.
We hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit to Douglas Ga and we hope if your ever in the area you will give us another chance to make it up to you.

Stewart Rish
912-383-0433

Reviewed 25 May 2017

Run down facility. Needs some serious updating. Found black mold growing around shower soap dish and in grout of floor tiles. Furniture coverings needs cleaning very dingy looking. Carpeting needs replacing. If your walk around room in white socks they will not be white for very long.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
quality3799, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Douglas, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey I will address the issue with our housekeeper to make sure these problems are fixed

Stewart

Reviewed 7 May 2017

Found the room clean and nice. Bed was wonderful. Shower was much better here than at the other place I stayed on my trip. I did not bother with breakfast as I wanted to hit the road. Felt very safe here. Plenty of restaurants nearby if you want to eat.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Rockyhammock
quality3799, Manager at Econo Lodge Douglas, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2017

Thank you for your stay with us..

Stewart Rish

Reviewed 2 April 2017

My wife and I stayed here recently and were exceptionally pleased in every way. The desk staff were excellent and efficient both for check in and check out, the room was large, clean, quiet, comfortable, with an excellent air conditioner. I would recommend this location without hesitation and give it an enthusiastic two thumbs up.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank David C
quality3799, Manager at Econo Lodge Douglas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2017

Thanks for staying with us at the Econolodge while in Douglas Ga, and thank you for the review it means alot, we hope to see you soon

Sincerely