“Lovely Place to Stay”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duluth - Mall Area
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The ladies at the front desk were very nice and helpful. The check-in process was quick after a long drive. The room was as promised when I booked. I would stay here again if I traveled that direction.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
GM-Duluth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duluth - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay. Thank you for sharing your views and suggestion with us. It helps fine-tune our operations.

We look forward to your next stay! Thank you.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

This review is colored by my interaction with the manager and it begins and ends with him telling me that if I had a problem with the room, to call priceline. The hotel is somewhat hidden but very close to I-85 and convenient to where I had business in Duluth. The lobby was clean and check in was quick and easy. I rode the elevator to the 5th floor and noticed a stench when the elevator door opened. When i opened the door to the room I was hit between the eyes with an unbearable smell that made my eyes water. At first I could not determine what the smell was, but a quick scan of the room revealed the culprit; an ashtray. This was a smoking room/floor; who knew they still existed. I immediately called the front desk to see about switching to a room that does not smell like Indian food mixed with a dirty diaper. The girl that answered the phone was very cordial and sounded as though she understood my inability to sleep in this stench. She said she would have her manager call me right back. The manager did call me right back but was incredulous that I would need to switch rooms because of the smell. He very quickly ended the call where this review began; by telling me to complain to priceline. I should have just left and found a different hotel but I did not. I drove over the Publix store and picked up a container Febreze and sprayed the crap out of the room. I also considered taking up smoking but quickly ruled that out. Except for the room/floor I was staying in, the hotel appeared to be clean. Breakfast is included which is good, because you would never pay money for what they were serving. The one thing that was above par was the coffee; both what was provided in the room and what was provided in the lobby.

Room Tip: DO NOT accept a room on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
GM-Duluth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duluth - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards. In addition, we would discuss the issue with Priceline, as we received your reservation for a smoking room. We apologize for the inconvenience. Probably, you discussed your concerns with manager on duty during the visit. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly, and ask for General Manager.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

This hotel is convenient to everything in Duluth. It was clean, and well maintained and the bed was VERY soft (pillowtop!). The breakfast was better than advertised (eggs, bacon, and potatoes in addition to all the usual fare). My only complaints were the lack of a microwave (but it did have a fridge) and the age of the TV (slightly pre-historic). However, if you are not in need of a microwave and are not flat-screen dependent, this hotel is quite nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

We appreciate you taking the time to write regarding your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your overall response and glad to know that we were able to meet your expectations. Thank you for sharing your views and suggestion with us. It helps fine-tune our operations. Thank you!

Reviewed 30 June 2013

With all the choices up and down I-85 in Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina, finding a decent overnight hotel is often a crapshoot. Proximity to the interstate was paramount as I was tired and just needed a good night's sleep before hitting the road again.

In addition to the great location, I had a nice, clean room: the hotel had recently replaced the carpets, bathroom counters and bed linens. There were a few cigarette burns in the carpet, however, which meant smokers had been in this non-smoking room. I didn't smell any cigarette smoke, though. I loved having a small fridge in my room so I didn't have to buy sodas from the vending machine.

The staff was courteous and friendly.

The breakfast buffet was terrible! I can't really complain about a complimentary breakfast but the eggs and sausages were so gelatinous-looking I couldn't even eat them. And I really tried! Coffee wasn't bad, however.

I didn't use the pool or workout facilities but both looked clean and well-maintained.

This hotel fits the bill for a nice, clean overnight stay with easy access to the interstates and close proximity to local chain restaurants. The hotel is fewer than 5 minutes from a wonderful, local park (Shorty Howard), which is great for a quick walk or if traveling with kids.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
GM-Duluth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duluth - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

We appreciate you for choosing us to stay with us on your recent trip to the area. Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I apologize on the behalf of hotel and its staff for your experience regarding the breakfast. You comments helps us improve for better service and operations.

We are glad that you know that you were satisfied with overall stay and cleanliness of the rooms, pool, and fitness center. We are hoping that you would visit us again and take the opportunity to enjoy the pool and other amenities as well. Thank you!

Reviewed 8 June 2013

Friendly reception, accommodation was roomy, clean, and the bed was comfortable, with a nice bathroom. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice. Maybe not a major item, but there was a basketball tournament on when we stayed, with a lot of the teams staying here. This made it quite busy for breakfast, those youngsters had good appetites! All in all, it was pleasant as we chatted with other guests, and one young man helped to find us a seat. Well located for restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. TGI Friday, and Bahama Breeze just round the corner.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
GM-Duluth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duluth - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We really appreciate your overall response and glad to know that we were able to meet your expectations. Thank you..!!!

Reviewed 2 May 2013

When we first arrived, we were impressed with the large room, general feel of the place, and its great location. Like most other Country Inn & Suites, it has a great "home" feel in the lobby, with cute antique furniture and decor throughout the hotel. The location is excellent, as it is in a gorgeous part of GA and close to Atlanta/the beautiful suburbs. The room was clean, and included both a fridge and microwave. The shower head is fantastic, but the shower curtain is way too small for the shower (we soaked our bathroom each time we showered). Breakfast here is great.

The place could be updated to make it much better, however. The elevators were slow and temperamental; the laundry room was disgusting (the floor was covered in lint from the dryer, dryer sheets, clothes, and general trash - it looked like no one had cleaned it in weeks); the carpets are drab and aged; the TV is old-fashioned (but still works); and management needs an overhaul. There was rarely someone at the front desk to answer calls, and multiple front desk people did not know how to answer easy questions (i.e. "Can housekeeping come later in the day?").

Overall, I'd say look at the other numerous hotels in the area, unless this place is offering a timely deal.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by the breakfast area or laundry
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
GM-Duluth, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duluth - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Thank you for taking time to write a review on our hotel. I am sorry that your stay with us was not up to your expectations. We had a very large production company group in-house the week that you stayed with us and there was allot of usage of the laundry room.

I am glad that your overall stay was pleasant and that you did enjoy the amenities of the hotel. I did forward your comments to our owner and we will be discussing them at our next staff meeting. We always want to satisfy our customers and your comments will be discussed.

Thank you again.
Rebecca Johnson
Director of Sales

Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

Overall, this place was pretty good. The rooms were clean, the bed comfortable, and the amenities were nice. The only complaint was that I had the a/c set on its lowest temperature, and it never got that cool. The shower head was great, but the curtain was so short that it kept falling over the edge of the tub. The breakfast was good and the breakfast area nice and clean, although very hot in the room. The hotel is in a nice area, but getting to it is a little odd. With all of that said, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013
GM-Duluth, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duluth - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you had problems with you AC unit. If you could please call or email me so I can pull up your reservation and have our technician look at the unit.

Thank you again for your comments. Rebecca Johnson 678-298-4265 or rebecca.johnson@countryinns.com