“Terrible service and money wasted”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duluth - Mall Area
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I was offered a smoking room because I booked through Priceline. Lady at the desk refused to change the room that made my daughter sick. I booked another hotel, spent additional money and was told to contact the priceline. There was no microwave in the room, I was sent to the breakfast room on the 1st fl. Breakfast room is too small with nasty cold boiled egg without sheel. Money was lost for 2 nights. I will not recommend this hotel. The receptionist lady was nasty, tired, inpatient and rude. Management failed to return call. Customerservice was very poor. Many hotels are smoke free in USA.

Room Tip: I was not informed that I will have a smoking room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
GM-Duluth, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duluth - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

We regret to hear about your disappointment in the room you received and apologize about the inconvenience. The reservation we received was for a smoking room and unfortunately, the hotel was almost sold out those dates. We attempt to fulfill each of our guest’s requests to the best of our ability. Prior to your next stay, we welcome you to contact us so we may discuss your accommodations in detail. Once again, we apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations. Thank you.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duluth - Mall Area

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We booked rooms based on the hotel amenities that included microwaves in the rooms and an indoor heated pool. There were no microwaves in the rooms. We were told to use the one in the breakfast room on the ground floor. There was a sign on the main lobby counter that said the pool was heated to 80 degrees. But within five minutes of pool time, the kids were shivering and their lips were blue. There is no way that the pool was 80 degrees!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Care at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duluth - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Mommyw111,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. We are sorry to here that there were no microwaves in your room and that you found the pool to be cold. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

As usual when we travel to the out skirts of Atlanta we stay at this location. Why do we stay? The service and hospitality of Marcus. He is the reason we come back. He made our fun and enjoyable. The knowledge of the area, the way he is with guest. My Family adores him. There has been a few times we called and he was not there so kept calling and finally I got ahold of him. That made my day. We will continue to stay at this location and refer customers as long as we know he there. We can never thank him enough for his service to us. He even made us FRESH, PIPING HOT COOKIES WHICH THE KIDS LOVED!!!! Thank You so much Marcus.

Room Tip: If you are handicap as for room 224 or 317
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
GM-Duluth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duluth - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed you stay with us, as always. We are glad to know that Marcus services were able to beat your expectations and was motivational reason to visit our property. You are one of our most valued guest since past so many years! We look forward to your next stay. Thank you!

Reviewed 23 January 2014

My home was flooded and I had to choose a temporay stay location. I wanted something that gave me a homey feeling, well I should of added cleanliness in my search as well. My room was 1/2 clean daily. The poor lady appeared overworked so she was giving her best. My question was to the front desk (Marcus) if you seen sheets dirty, why would the bed get made up with the same dirty sheets? He stated housekeeping leaves at 3 and I have a set downstairs, so I asked to make sure if I was hearing him correctly, "So Marcus, my ONLY options would be to change my bed linen because your staff leaves at 3 and made the bed with soil linens" he said YES! I packed up my kids and told my husband to find us another hotel immediately. Let me tell you this, it's all about the customer and making sure that they are satisfied because word of mouth is powerful and P.S. there is a hotel on every corner, so be careful on how you run away customers!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
GM-Duluth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duluth - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay and the service you received from our staff. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best service. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services.

To discuss your concern further, please contact hotel directly, and ask for General Manager or you can reach me at cx_atgw@countryinns.com. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations. Thank you!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel last year and had a horrible experience when checking in. I had reviewed this property last year when I got back. The sales manager replied and ask if we we came back she hoped we would give them another chance. I book rooms every year for our church because we work at Operation Christmas Child. This year OCC was at the same location as last year. Since we were pleased with the hotel last year and it was close to the warehouse I decided to call and take a chance this year. I was pleased this year with how things went. I called and reserved my rooms through the manager, then I called back to cancel some rooms, then called to make sure the day before that I for sure had rooms. When I got there to check in it was like they knew me. There was a lady I spoke with the day before we arrived and she happened to be the one there when we checked in. She was so friendly and I appreciate all the help she was to us while we were there. Everyone was pleased with their rooms and the children enjoyed the pool once again. We had a problem with one room not being able to unlock it with our key. The lady was so nice, she made another set of keys and that didn't work so she came up and let us in. The next set of keys didn't work either so they ended up moving us. She was really a great help. If the warehouse is back in the same place next year we will probably stay again. Glad I took a chance.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
GM-Duluth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duluth - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay this time. We are sorry to hear about the key card inconvenience. We look forward to your next stay. Thank you!

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Upon check-in I was told three (3) times that I did not have a reservation, but that someone with my last name had checked in to two rooms the day before. After explaining to me the she needed to put her glasses on, the employee found my reservation. I will go out on a limb and suggest that if glasses are needed to see reservations, glasses should be worn to deter telling people 3 times that they have no reservation. Aside from the initial impression, the front desk staff members were friendly. We travel often and usually stay in Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt properties but this hotel provided a 1st time experience for us....we shared our bathroom with roaches. Not to say that other hotels we've stayed in haven't had roaches; simply saying we have never seen roaches roaming freely, nor have we previously killed roaches in hotel rooms. I must balance this by saying that others in our party did not see roaches in their rooms. The A/C unit was LOUD, continuously clicking off and on.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
GM-Duluth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duluth - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry and disappointed on our part that you had to encounter this. We assured you that this was one of the isolated incident and we would take the matter with our contracted pest control company. We would take necessary measures to rectify the issue. We sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay and assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future. Thank you!

Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Nice, clean lobby. Very friendly staff. The rooms were clean but, the chair at the desk was covered in stains, to the point that I wouldn't sit in it. TVs are ancient. Even most Comfort Inns have flat screens now. The breakfast? Absolutely the worst I have ever seen at a Country Inn. Eggs were abysmal, there was hot sausage gravy for the biscuits, which were not in the warmer but over with the bread,,,,,cold and hard. Needs a little work before I'd stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank the955iman

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. I have addressed the issues with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future. In fact two day back, we just replaced all our old TV's with 42" flat screen LED TV's. Thank you for complimenting our staff for their services. We really appreciate that. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations. Thank you!