“Great Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Duluth
Denver, CO
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Great hotel that became my home away from home for several weeks while on business. The lounge had enough to get me by most weekends without needing to go out to dinner. And if I was so inclined, the bar downstairs could keep me in the hotel. Location was pretty easy to get to as well. My only compliant would be the bath towels. Management could really do well by purchasing some fabric softener. Otherwise it was an awesome hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Wunderlusting01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Yesterday, I had to park a Hertz rental car at the Gwinnett Mariott, as the Hertz location I rented the car from was closed and unable to accept the returned car. There is a Hertz satellite office at this Marriott.

Unfortunately, I left my wallet in the car, and didn't realize until I was already at the airport for a flight that took off in an hour.

I immediately called the Marriot, and spoke with Rhianne, who listened to me while I freaked out, and then put me on hold to see what she could do. As it turns out, the Hertz employees on duty had already left for the day, and she was unsure how we could access the car.

Rhianne spoke with Daisy, her manager, and Daisy was able to find the keys to the car after a short search. Skip went to the car and found my wallet. When Rhianne called me back, knowing I was at the airport, she offered to provide a secure taxi service in order to get me the wallet. I was astounded not only that these people had put the effort in to find my wallet, but that they would go so above and beyond as to think of a way to get it to me.

I was not a guest at this hotel, and there was no reason for anyone to help me. My mom and dad went to get my wallet a short while later, and my mom took the attached picture of Daisy, Robert (another helpful person!) and Skip. She said it best when she sent me the picture: "You had angels on your side today!"

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank CRM8656
MarcyAdams, General Manager at Sonesta Gwinnett Place Atlanta, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
What a great story! I am the General Manager and had not even heard this yet. I think that this shows that actions such as this are second nature to our staff and they will do whatever they can to take care of anyone that walks through our doors. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and to share this story. I will certainly pass it on to all of our staff.
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed it
Daisy at the front desk gave outstanding customer service
Friendly staff
Nice room
Good restaurant - try the filet
I didn't workout but my buddy did and he said it was well equipped
Great location. Very convenient to lots of our clients in the Atlanta area.

• Stayed April 2013
MarcyAdams, General Manager at Sonesta Gwinnett Place Atlanta, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We appreciate your feedback and we too think Daisy is great! I will share your comments with Daisy and all of our staff.
Fort Benning, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I've been to Marriott Hotels in other states, but this one out of the ones I've been to is so far the best. The staff, waiters/waitresses, and even the coordinator Mr. Kevin were polite and catered to the needs of their guests. I was in the group(Strong Bonds Retreat) alongside my husband and the weekend we were there is definately well worth it. This hotel is a 5 star and if the rating were higher I'd give it a 7. Pleasant people, pleasant food, pleasant place thank you for making my experience a memorable one. :)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brenda S
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay and our staff. We appreciate your comments and I will share them with everyone. We really enjoy working with Strong Bonds and know how important these get aways are. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed it. Thank you for all you and your husband do for our country as well!
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I spent 5 nights here, on a business trip and must say that it was a very nice, and clean hotel. My room on the 3rd flood felt a little dated, but was still nice. I would, and probably will state here again on future trips to Duluth.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Todd S
Georgia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The hotel wasn't all bad, and they really do a good job of trying to make up for the inadequacies. The hotel is conveniently located just off I-85 and very close to a variety of restaurants. The front desk offered us a list of the surrounding restaurants upon arrival. There is a TGI Friday just across the street within walking distance.

The lobby is very nicely done, and the staff was exceptional. The rooms were nicely appointed and extremely clean. The bed was firm, but I sleep on a Tempurpedic, so I'm used to a firm mattress. The pillows were rock hard!! BYOP! They were terribly uncomfortable. The bathroom area was small, but the sink was separate from the toilet and shower making it much easier for 2 people to get ready at the same time.

The walls are super, super thin. The man in the room next to us started having screaming nightmares around 2 am and kept us up until 4. And he dropped the "F" bomb numerous times and thank God my 9 year old was so sleepy he didn't hear it. That was the worst thing about the whole experience and the biggest reason I only gave it 3 stars.

They offer a buffet style breakfast in the Vineyard, but it was just okay as well. The eggs are not real - some sort of powdered things I suspect and not very tasty. They did offer a selection of pancakes, bagels and oatmeal and a pretty large selection of fruit. That certainly made up for the nasty eggs.

For the value, I'd say it was just okay. If not for the thin walls and the luck of the draw with the nightmare screaming maniac next door, it honestly wouldn't have been too bad.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
MarcyAdams, General Manager at Sonesta Gwinnett Place Atlanta, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I always hate to hear when someone had a less than perfect experience, particularly because of another guest! I have also passed on your comments to the Executive Chef and kitchen staff regarding the eggs. I am not sure what might have happened that day, but I can assure you that we do use real eggs, so we will certainly look into it as we take quality issues very seriously. I do hope that if you are in the area again, you will give us another opportunity to show you what a great hotel we have.

Thanks.
Plainville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I stayed at the hotel for three nights and had meetings in the hotel. I travel a lot and have high expectations and the hotel exceeded my expectations. From check in at almost midnight to checkout the staff was engaging and friendly. The front desk and bell staff staff remembered my name and they smiled and greeted me when I walked by. The food and the service was excellent in both restaurants and room service was great as well. My meetings went very smoothly with a very attentive staff. The hotel arranged transportation to and from the airport easing the travel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank DCH07
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duluth
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta/Duluth/Gwinnett County
Hyatt Place Duluth/Gwinnett Mall
Sonesta ES Suites Atlanta
Sonesta ES Suites Atlanta
#66 of 173 in Atlanta
Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta NE Gwinnett Sugarloaf
Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta NE/Gwinnett Sugarloaf
Wingate by Wyndham Duluth/Atlanta

Been to Sonesta Gwinnett Place Atlanta? Share your experiences!