“Perhaps a 1 star hotel at best....”

Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Gwinnett Place
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I bought a 3-night stay at this hotel because Travelocity rated this place as a 3-star hotel. Even though I ended up losing my money, and it cost me more to stay in another hotel, I had to leave after 1 night because it was a terrible place to stay. The hotel is located right by the interstate, and the sound of the passing vehicles kept me up all night. Could only manage an hour's sleep. The sheets, towels and bathrooms were dirty. The mattress was worn out and old. Nothing 3 star about this hotel...at best it is a 1 star hotel. The front desk offered another room, but I refused it. Definitely not recommended. I wonder if anyone from Travelocity has ever visited this hotel to confirm the 3 star rating.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank tango502
mgrmaf, Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Gwinnett Place, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that the cleanliness of your room was not up to your standards. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am personally conducting a meeting with my housekeeping staff. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will contact me directly, at spearson@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed 27 November 2012

I came to this hotel in July of this year and my experience has been AWESOME!!!! In fact I love it so much I've extended my stay for a whole year. I would like to personally thank Alton the Front Desk Manager who hired the most professional staff ever. Each and every employee from the front desk to housekeeping and maintenance as a whole really has made this hotel feel like home to me because they each give 100% in customer service. Maria in Guest Service is always doing her job with a smile. In addition to that it shows that she loves her job which I would love to see her excel in because she is loyal and dedicated. And Maria in housekeeking is also dedicated in providing the best service by always making sure our room immaculate and that she loves what she does. Maintenance is always making sure everything is working properly in a prompt manner at least with a 24 hr time frame, in short thank you Alton because your entire staff is a reflection of you.....GREAT!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
mgrmaf, Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Gwinnett Place, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay Deluxe Atlanta Gwinnett Place. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority.

Reviewed 20 November 2012 via mobile

I bought this hotel on Hotwire because it was rated 2.5 stars and included breakfast. It is clearly no better than a 2 star and really a 1.5. It is what you would expect, a lower end extended stay hotel. People milling around loud halls with lots if screaming kids. Cooking odors and beat up stained carpets couches elevators etc. the breakfast was a joke. It was coffee, old(browning) oranges and some small wrapped muffins(2 per person! As per sign. I am glad I was alone, my wife and daughters would not have gone into the hotel.

If you know all this ahead of time you can be happy with the price.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Mikebib
mgrmaf, Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Gwinnett Place, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay Deluxe Atlanta Gwinnett Place. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I am happy to be able to respond to you in this forum, as we never want a guest to feel like his or her concerns go unheard. I certainly understand your desire for more items on our Deluxe Mornings(tm) menu, because as it is our current offerings are not designed to be a full breakfast, but more of an expanded coffee bar. We advertise it as just that, because we don't want anyone to be disappointed when they discover we don't have a full breakfast. Our typical Deluxe Mornings(tm) items include gourmet coffee, bagels and cream cheese, and fresh fruit. I wish that we had been able to communicate better to you exactly what we offer.

Reviewed 10 October 2012 via mobile

The staff continuously provides exceptional customer service. From the front desk to the housekeeping staff, all of the employees go above and beyond any other hotel that we've ever stayed at. All of the staff performs their jobs with a smile however, Marie and Alton continuously exceed our expectations and that's the main reason we continue to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012
mgrmaf, Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Gwinnett Place, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay Deluxe Atlanta Gwinnett Place. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is ""Excellence Every Day, Every Way"", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

We stayed here over Labor day weekend. We arrive at hotel around 7 pm. Nobody was at front desk, needed to wait for couple of min to find anybody who works for hotel. Never mind, she gave us key to room (we had 2 room reserved). Went up to room, we can hear kids screaming from which supposed to be the room for tonight. Key did not work, went down to front desk, then she told us that room is NOT ready. It is not 11 am, but 7 pm. Isn't all room supposed to be ready by then for new occupant guest??!! We finally got room. When I book room, I didn't expect any hotels still allow guest to SMOKE! The room was STINK with all cigarette smoke! Not only that, it was DIRTY! Then next day, room was never cleaned. That time, we were first told there is NO cleaning service unless you stay over one week! If you want non stink, clean room with house keeper comes every day, this is NOT the place you should stay!!

Room Tip: Not this hotel but hotel next to it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Gwinnett Place, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

Lucy - Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at our hotel. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

Please understand that maintain strict quality control standards, which demand that every room is inspected for cleanliness and smell prior to making it available to our guests. In addition, all rooms shoudl be ready for guests by 3pm on the date of check-in. Clearly there was a failure in our system during your stay.

As well, we work to eliminate any noise issues which might affect our guests. It seems that we were unable to do so in your case and for that I am very sorry.

In response to your comments, I’ve personally met with all of our staff and used your review to demonstrate in which specific areas we can improve.

Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

I don’t know where to begin, I checked into this hotel thinking that I can get a better experience due to some review that I read big mistake. first too close to i-85 can't sleep then I woke up in the morning to go to my meeting, there are some guys in the hallway smoking weed, came back and find out my room hasn't been clean then went to the front desk to ask why, I can't believe what I was told the lady said my room cannot be clean because I’m only staying for 4 days that I will have to extend my stay if I want my room to be clean that’s why we call it extended stay, Second day I asked for new towel, a lady said I should go and bring the old ones before I can get another. I just can't keep going on but I will not stay in this hotel anymore even for free.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Gwinnett Place, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

As this hotel’s manager, I challenge our staff to continually improve the experience of our guests, from the cleanliness of our rooms, to the courteous professionalism of our staff, to the fresh smells throughout our property. Unfortunately, in your situation, it is clear that we were unsuccessful in achieving these goals. Given our belief that guests like you are our most valuable asset, this failure is particularly troubling. Your review has caused us to take a serious look at the systems we have in place to handle our day to day operations and we will be making modifications as appropriate.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

I have just began traveling within the U.S. in the past year and decided to relocate to GA. While apartment hunting, I needed to find an extended stay hotel. Nothing major, therefore, I wasn't looking for extravagant, but a decent, reasonably priced establishment. I have stayed in two separate hotels prior to arriving here at Suburban within an hour drive of each. Therefore, I have something that I can compare it to. I prefer Suburban over the two rather than Intown Suites for several of reasons. It is an indoor facility with cameras in which I feel much safer; There is always someone at the front desk 24 hours; You can always request for linen, toiletries, etc whenever needed; they have a very convenient laundry room with vending machines, one with snacks and the other drinks and a nice size table to fold; there are multiple entrances with plenty of parking space on every side of a well lit building with sections for THE smokers to avoid offensive smells for us non smokers in our rooms; So if you are on a budget, but want at least the basic standard NEEDS met, such as cleanliness; housekeeping once per week; no bugs biting; a form of simple cooking provided; somewhere to at least hang your clothes; a desk to do some work; lifted nightstand to read; a good size comfortable bed for one or two people; a lounge chair and stool to relax and watch the tube without having to lay down in the bed you would spend some hours of rest in; a nice size non extravagant but clean bathroom to handle all personal hygiene care; room to move around and get to each entity mentioned above without having only walked 10 feet; clean pan, drinking glasses, tea cups, and cooking utensils wrapped up in saran wrap; good cabinet and draw space for longer stay customers; clean and fresh smelling linen provided; good AC that works without any strange smelling fumes; and a professional staff, then Suburban is a decent place to stay at a VERY VERY reasonable price. Like anywhere you go, you will have some situations where it will be bad experiences and some good different time, different day, different people, under different situations. Location is excellent in the center I realize in life, I can make a loooong list of all the wrong and compare it to other alike businesses, but unless there is a pattern, and the establishment not willing to compromise, or improve their product or service, this is where the reviews play a part in keeping a paper trail of quality control of customer service and product and service ratings. Unfortunately there was an event while I was staying there during the time of a very heart breaking crime that the public is aware because the media broadcasted it in the news; and like everyone else, fear and questions arose as to should I leave and go to another hotel and would I ever come back to this facility in the future if needed? Questions and concern of security as well was an issue. Nevertheless, I realized that no matter who, when, or where we are, even the highly rated secured facilities such as banks, even the White House, had security compromised and either someone got in that should have not been able to, or crimes were committed more likely more than once with cameras, cops with guns and other weapons and a badge could not stop perpetrators. Therefore, if it is a monetary issue, I will choose Suburban, but whenever I have the finances for short stay only, I will go to the major hotels.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Gwinnett Place, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2012

It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay Deluxe Atlanta Gwinnett Place. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!