“Very Dated-Don't Expect Much”

Atlanta Marriott Perimeter Center
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Dunwoody
GreenLeadersBronze level
Morris NJ
“Very Dated-Don't Expect Much”
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I travel for business two to three nights on most weeks. I never stayed at this hotel so I thought, should be nice-full service Marriott. I was wrong. The location is OK but for the ridiculous rate of $159 in an area where there are a lot of other options seemed odd. Lobby is nice enough but that is where it stops. Room is dated, fake scratched up wooded tv stand holding what can best described as a 25 in TV from the 1990's. Bed spreads were dated, wall air conditioner went on and off all night-extremely loud. Bathroom-no disgusting but wow-very dated. When I went to the front desk-she was very nice to point out that 1. This is the oldest hotel in ATL-agreed-it looks like it! 2. We are doing a 25 mil remodel due in 7 months 3. We hope you come back-No Chance. By the way-construciton all day-very loud.

Here is the thing-you get once chance with me-too many other choices.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The staff was friendly and helpful upon arrival. We were very comfortable in our room and was a decent size. The second night, we had to ask for an extra blanket because the comforter seemed a bit small for the bed--okay for one person, not two.
The walk to the MARTA was fairly close and the hotel was happy to provide transportation to an location (especially the mall across the street). I would advise transportation to anyone that has difficulty getting around because of a few hills around the hotel.
There were a couple of "family reunions" (500+ people) going on in the hotel during our stay. I certainly can't blame the hotel for noise in the hallway, but they should advise customers about the situation before check-in.
Overall, I was happy with the room, beautiful exercise facility, indoor/outdoor pool and Starbucks in the lobby (M-F). We would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask front desk for a quiet area. Extra people, ask for extra blankets!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Georgia
Reviewed 20 June 2011

More than a year or so ago I removed this hotel from my list of places to stay in Atlanta due to a disappointing experience. But this past weekend when I needed to be in the Perimeter area and thery were advertising a $69 per night deal I decided to try them again. When I approached the hotel I could see that it was being painted. One side of the building had been scraped so it looked rather rough and the portico area was actually being painted with rollers as I was walking in the hotel. I was at the front desk only minutes when I was assisted. The room where I had been placed was not ready so the clerk asked if I would be willing to take a room on a lower floor which was ready. I agreed. One of the elevators was not working and a sign by the elevators said they were being renovated and asked for patience. There were easels in the lobby showing the fabrics and plans to update the hotel. After getting into my room I could see that the hotel is past due for an update. I did not see the timeline for the update, but the rooms do look dated. The TVs are old-style and the wallpaper is starting to peel and curl in the bathroom. The bathtub in my room looked mint green but the rest of the tile was white. These were the bad things, but they were not so bad that they impacted my stay. The bed was comfortable and the two meals I ordered from room service were excellent. The staff I encouintered at the desk and by phone and delivery with the room service were all friendly and efficient. I have a refrigerator requested on my Marriott profile but often when i visit a hotel there is no refrigerator in the room. One was delivered to my room here within minutes of my getting in the room. All in all I was quite impressed. I will return to this hotel. Parking is free, which is a nice plus as many Atlanta hotels do charge. There is a restaurant within a short walk of this hotel, and one could walk to the nearby Perimeter Mall or Marta station. It might not be so fun lugging a suitcase, but it would be possible, I had a nice view of a sunset out the window of the hotel and I never heard another guest during my stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 June 2011

The rooms did not reflect Marriot standards. The front desk would always keep me waiting for mora than 45 mins, even though my reservations were made 15 days ahead . The sad aspect, the front desk staff were not proffesionals, very rude.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2011

This was the first hotel that I had ever stayed at in America so I was somewhat apprehensive, particularly having read the previous reviews. I thought the staff were all very smartly turned out indeed. They were also very efficient but friendly. I was greatly impressed. My room was attractive enough, didn't need any updating and was as clean as could be. I actually stayed here at the beginning and the end of my tour and both times it was the same. The restaurant is very good for breakfast but the first time I was here I was too tired to have have dinner and by the second time I had already found Chequers which is a seafood restaurant just 5 or 10 minutes away from the front door of the hotel. I think this is "a must" for any "foodie" like myself. There are other restaurants around but they are quite a walk away and you do need to get a map from reception if you are not to get lost. The shops in the Mall are very good and there are another collection of "outlet shops", without the need to cross the road. Atlanta itself is a very vibrant city which is well worth further investigation. Be sure to do a city bus tour which includes both "millionaires row" with Kenny Roger's house and Elton John's apartment block. The only downside is the treatment travellers get from the airport so-called security staff which seems designed to discourage tourists whether they be foreign or American.

• Stayed May 2011
San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 May 2011

If it weren't for the fact that we got a corporate rate, I would have sought out another hotel in the area. They are going through MAJOR construction on the outside structures which makes it virtually impossible to stay/rest in the hotel anytime after 9am. The front desk said that this was going to go on for the next several months (9am-5pm each day). Not a big deal if you're a business traveller but not good if you are going for leisure. Even if you are going for business, you really can't stay in your room to work during the morning hours. And if you're on west coast time, you'll get a nice wake up call at 9am.

As other reviews have mentioned, the hotel is very dated. Old carpet has a funny smell as well as the a/c unit in the room (not central air). The nice thing about this place is that it's close to the MARTA stop as well as the mall and other shopping and restaurant establisments.

The gym was acceptable. The TVs down there were flat screens and actually better (and more channels) than in your own room. No wireless either and you have to pay $13 per day for the wired internet.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Considering the full business rate and the many new, high quality hotels in the area, this property's condition in inexcusable. I can't believe that this hotel has been able to fly the Marriott franchise flag. And to add insult to injury, the staff seems to have grown so accustomed to the shabby condition that they barely acknowledged my complaints. Displaying the designers mock-up panels of the future renovation with no slated start date adds insult to injury. It is as if these panels scream, "don't even bother to complain we know that your room has the weakest WIRED internet for $13.00 a day, the elevators are out of service, the carpets are filthy, your TV is broken and the sagging bed will give you nightmares that you are clutching the edge of a cliff." This hotel is a dated early 90s dump. Oh, Tripadvisor, why didn't I check with you first?

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunwoody
Hyatt Regency Atlanta Perimeter at Villa Christina
Crowne Plaza Atlanta Perimeter at Ravinia
Staybridge Suites Atlanta - Perimeter Center East
Le Meridien Atlanta Perimeter
Hilton Atlanta Perimeter Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta Perimeter Dunwoody

Been to Atlanta Marriott Perimeter Center? Share your experiences!