“Never again!!!”

Stratford Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in East Ellijay
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We have been staying at the Stratford at least every other month for the past 2 years and have always had good experiences until this last visit. They have been going down for a while now.
They are trying to do some updating ( painting ), but they have a lot of other problems that paint won't fix. Some of the management is out in left field and doesn't have a clue as to what is going on.
We have always enjoyed the breakfast at the Stratford which consisted of regular biscuits, sausage biscuits, bagles, sausage gravy, boiled eggs, several kinds of cereal, a couple of kinds of muffins,fresh fruits and yogurts, toast, milk , juices and coffee. But on the first morning of our 3 night stay all that was available was one bagel, sausage biscuits, left over sausage gravy , coffee and juice. You couldn't even eat cereal, because there was NO milk!
We had company coming, so we got a second room for them. We had told them about the nice breakfast they always had at the motel except fot the previous mornings breakfast. When we went to check all they had the second morning was sausage biscuits , coffee and juice. We went elsewhere for breakfast!
The last morning they had added blueberry muffins ( which I saw them take out of the freezer after we had checked the breakfast the morning before ) to the sausage biscuits, coffee, juice. They also had gotten a gallon of milk.
The dining room floor was always dirty with crumbs and the vaccum was sitting in front of the milk dispenser. I don't think it was ever used. It looked as if no one cared about how things looked or how they looked.
As far as rooms go, they are clean, but in bad need of updating. Good luck getting a decent shower head.
The Stratford and the Best Western are both owned by the same person, an Indian ( Patel ) ,and have the same manager. I have never stayed at the Best Western, so I can't comment on it, but we don't plan on ever staying there either.
In the future we will stay in Jasper, Blue Ridge or a cabin. Never again at the Stratford.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Kay A

Reviewed 29 April 2012

We opted for this inexpensive choice on a recent trip to seek out local properties. I was impressed by its cleanliness but it does need some updating & minor repairs. The towel bar in the bathroom was broken off. But clean comes first & we were comfortable especially after we asked for extra pillows. I always pack pillow protectors when I travel. (An extra travel tip)
Breakfast is included but I would strongly suggest buying it at the Waffle House down the road.
Staff is very friendly & helpful.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Boot-crazed
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I first stayed here in oct. '04 after stopping from a ten hour drive. I was greeted like I was family. Something that I truly needed at that time in my life. I ended up feeling like I was more welcome here than any place I'd ever been. After a three week stay, I moved to Ellijay. I moved to Ellijay and after a few years I moved back to louisiana. And now any time that I come back to visit I stay here. I have friends that always offer their homes to me... But for me it's this quaint little hotel in walking distance of several different services. With by far the friendliest employees of any place that i've stayed with. That Give me that same welcome feeling that I received back in 2004 when I needed it..

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank Jus_Jerry
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We stayed here during our annual visit to the Ellijay Apple Festival in October 2011. Previous years we would stay at mountain houses; this year, everything was so crowded - streets, non-moving traffic - I believe even more people attended the Festival this year - we decided to keep it simple, and stayed for the first time at The Stratford Inn. This is a pet-friendly motel, which is a plus. It is near the main highway, but set back up on a hill so we didn't hear any traffic. It was very quiet, and at night we would sit outside and listen to the assorted birds. We felt safe during our stay - a must at any hotel/motel. The included breakfast was good. I like how there is a fresh apple on each table, and fresh apples are offered at the front desk. This is a simple, older lodging inn. I cannot speak to what condition it was in 10 years ago; our experience was a quite adequate and pleasant stay. It was convenient to everything, and excellent pricing. If you are looking for a quick and quiet place to stay in East Ellijay, the Stratford Inn is a good choice and value for your dollars.

Room Tip: We stayed in a lower corner by the pool facing the woods.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Luv N
Reviewed 9 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Stratford Inn several times when we were looking for our retirement home in Ellijay and it was really a nice place. The atmosphere was nice; the rooms were clean and comfortable; the continental breakfast was satisfying and the rates were reasonable. That was 10 years ago. Since then, we've recommended the Stratford several times.
This past Thanksgiving weekend, all of our children were going to be in Ellijay, so we eventually made arrangements for them to stay at the Inn. The reason I used the word "eventually" is because no one answered the phone. After many tries, I finally got someone who didn't sound as if he were able to make reservations or do much of anything.
Anyway, when the first of our kids got there, they looked around and looked at the room and decided they wouldn't be comfortable there and moved to the Best Western. I hate to write a negative review for the Stratford because it's locally-owned and we're losing so many places like that. But facts are facts.
I am so sorry it's changed and that I don't feel as if I can recommend it anymore. It used to be a delightful place. So sad for Ellijay and Gilmer County.

Room Tip: Go to the Best Western!!!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Winddancer1943
Reviewed 18 January 2011

My Wife, her 2 sisters, and myself were traveling to another town, but we couldn't get to the cabin we had reserved because of the heavy snows.We stumbled upon the Stratford Inn quite by accident, but found the rooms to be well equipped, clean, and with comfortable beds.The only complaint I had was the tv remote didn't work, although it was really no big deal, and I didn't report it. I'm fairly sure they would have gladly fixed the problem promptly.
And getting stuck in the parking lot , in the ice ! Mother Natures fault, not neccesarily Stratford's fault ! Overall, a nice , almost quaint, motor Inn.If we ever have a need to travel back through, I would certainly stay again !

Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank TerryO59
Reviewed 13 February 2010

We needed to stay one night in Ellijay and this property met our needs. It is a decent, basic motel with an above average continental breakfast included.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Jasper
Seventy-four Ranch
Seventy-four Ranch
#2 of 4 in Jasper

Been to Stratford Motor Inn? Share your experiences!