“Not a bad word to say”
Review of Trough Ivy House

Trough Ivy House
Ranked #1 of 1 Farley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed for 2 nights in the self catering unit "swallows nest".
It is a perfect in every way. Cosey warm and has everything you need. Carol & Terry are lovely and were most welcoming, we forgot our cooking oil and Carol was happy to give us as much as we needed. We will definately stay there next time. Highly recommend to anybody!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights whilst on a visit to Alton Towers and can't it recommend highly enough - Carol & Terry are just lovely, very warm and friendly people.
The rooms (we booked all 3) were all so clean and comfortable, perfect temperature which I always worry about when staying in B&Bs, gorgeous little biscuits in the room which are replenished each day, nice touch.
Myself & my husband were in the suite, it was great - the lounge area was perfect for us all to gather in after a long day out and you've got a second TV in the main bedroom which I thought was a generous thought for guests.
The only niggle I have is that that you can hear everything from the room below and visa versa. As we were all friends it didn't bother us at all but maybe if you were unfortunate to have noisy neighbours, it may be a concern.
Location was.... well just amazing! Much much closer then any other hotels/B&Bs including the park hotels, literally 3-4 min walk which is great as you can get a head start on the crowds (although minimal went we went).
Breakfast wasn't included in the price but is very reasonable especially considering the quality of the produce. I happened to appreciate that it was a separate charge because I'm not a big breakfast person so it allowed me to pick & choose as I liked. They also stock beers & wines for purchase, again, brilliant after a long day out as you could just flop on the sofa if you wanted to.
We will definitely be back and next year and if you're going to Alton Towers, I honestly wouldn't look anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MrsMcCambridge
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

If you are planning to visit alton towers for a short break I would defiantly recommend this hotel to stay. Make sure you phone well in advance to reserve your room as spaces do fill up. I booked it in June prior to my visit.
When I phoned to reserve my booking the gentlemen on the phone was extremely welcoming and willing to answer any questions that you have. I book the birthday celebration package as it was a surprise for my best friends birthday and he took interest in this and assured me everything would be prepared and ready for our arrival.
On arrival we got into the courtyard of the house which was quite small but enough space to fit half a dozen cars in comfortably. The gentlemen who I spoke to on the phone come out and knew who we were straight away and made us feel welcome which was lovely, he even got in our car to move it into a space for us as we was struggling to do this.
We left our car in the courtyard all day when we was at the park and it was free of charge!!
When we returned we collected our key and went to our room, it was laid out very nice and was extremely clean. The balloons and banners were all up as I requested and there was the bottle on Cava on ice as I asked too.
The tv was very nice and the beds were very comfortable. The wifi didn't connect with our phones we did ask the woman who was in reception and she wasn't sure as she said it should be working so maybe it was our phones but it wasn't a major issue it was just a shame as we couldn't get any service whilst at the hotel.
The house does not provide dinner food so my friend and I asked the woman if there was anywhere to get food and she told us The Bull pub which was about a mile drive from the house, it was divine and would recommend going to get food if you hadn't eaten at the park.
The next day we had breakfast, my friend had a continental and I myself had a full English breakfast. The breakfast room was laid out lovely and well presented. We enjoyed our breakfast thoroughly and would recommend ordering it as it gets you set for the busy day ahead.
We were able to leave our car in the courtyard on the second day free of charge and we collected it at around 6 the following evening which worked out well for us both.

I would defiantly recommend this hotel to anyone going to alton towers it made the experience even more memorable and the people were so welcoming and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank CharBee123
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stayed last October for 3 nights and booked for the same this year.
Far better than the on site hotels. Excellent.
Rooms very clean (we booked 3) and the owner even cooked us pizza one evening.
Breakfast lovely. And the location perfect.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Rossbreese
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the Swallows Nest and it was perfect! Just 2 minutes walk to Alton Towers and such a quiet location, i slept like a baby! Very clean and well kept. Carol & Terry, the owners, were very accommodating and were very helpful to suggest places to eat in the surrounding areas too. Will definitely be staying again in the future!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jwong242
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We returned for a stay in the swallows nest on 19th september after visiting last year... Let's just say we will be returning again! It's a perfect little hideaway very close to Alton towers. We love it and will return again soon.
Thanks
Dan

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DanWDawson
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the swallows next for 2 nights and it was perfect in every way! Fantastic location - literally a 2 min walk to Alton Towers and beautifully kept accommodation with everything you could need with really friendly and helpful owners! Don't hesitate and book it, I will most definitely be staying there again!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank smallfry78
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farley
Peakstones Inn, Piggery & Friends Restaurant
#1 of 10 in Alton
Heywood Hall
Heywood Hall
#1 of 5 in Denstone

Been to Trough Ivy House? Share your experiences!