“My kind of camping!”
Review of The Martyn House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ellijay
The Martyn House
Ranked #1 of 3 Ellijay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We met 2 other couples for a friend reunion at The Martyn House. It was an amazing experience. First off, JoAnn and Rick are wonderful! They are incredibly hard-working and try very hard to make your stay extra special and fun. The tents are so beautiful and completely outfitted for your comfort. I especially enjoyed the mornings. It was so nice to wake up to a cool morning (even in July!) and sit out on our porch drinking french press coffee and listening to the still quiet of the woods. So refreshing! We planned our trip for one of the weekends that they were hosting a Farm to Table dinner. The dinner was amazing! The food was so good and JoAnn explained where the food had come from, locally and how it was prepared. We also had wine pairings with the dinner which were very good. It was fun eating and getting to know our fellow dinner guests. And it was especially nice that we were staying on the property, so all we had to do, after eating a fabulous meal and drinking lots of good wine was to make our way back to our tents and fall into our comfy beds to the sound of the cicadas in the woods. It was such a great time to get together with friends and experience this together. We laughed and laughed and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!! And it was just the right amount of "roughing it" for this spoiled city girl. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jdub30375
There are newer reviews for The Martyn House

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We signed up for the romance package as a 50th birthday gift for my wife. We are a happily married couple, but sometimes with our busy lives, children, jobs, family and other interests, there is a tendency to lose touch with the most important person in our lives. This was the perfect place to re-connect. Technically, it is camping but there are lights, water, etc in each tent. The good part is that there is no television, no temptation to be distracted from one another. Our tent was the Bohemian, it was located on a hillside in the middle of the North Georgia woods. There is a porch that overlooks the hillside and we spent as much time outside as we did in. With the romance package, we had a nice little spread waiting in the tent. The tents are so cool, decorated so creatively and uniquely. The romance package also provides meals, and these are wonderful farm to table dishes. We had soups, salads, entrees and dessert. Each one was outstanding, we also had wine and plenty of local spring water with our evening meals. Breakfast was more of the same, featuring plenty of farm fresh eggs. Once again these were prepared wonderfully and with a little bit of a twist each day. When dinner was over there was a fire to enjoy to reflect on the days events.
Now to try to describe the intangibles. When I go on vacation, I try to do as much as I can in as short of time possible. There is something about this place that just pulls the plug on that. We ate, took naps, talked, played scrabble, threw a stick for a dog, napped and talked some more. My wife said this trip was a grand slam that won the World Series for the Chicago Cubs. Joann and Rick were wonderful, we hardly saw them except at meals and totally respected our privacy. I know that my review does not do this place justice, but we are blessed to do a lot of leisure travel and this was probably the best trip we have ever taken as a couple. Guys if you want to win big ups from your significant other, this would be a good place to go.

Room Tip: The Bohemian has the best view, there is another that has an outdoor tub with a nice view as well.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James M
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This business now has an espresso bar and bistro with excellent coffee and charming atmosphere located right in downtown Ellijay. Order from blackboard when you arrive and food is delivered to your table. Green and blue Mason jars if you'd like to serve yourself lemon water from the dispenser. Did I mention that the coffee was very good!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steven M
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Between rain, cold, mud, unruly dogs countered by a smile that lasted my whole weekend meant you could not have a better stay in Ellijay. The Glamping wrap is you have to Experiance relaxing indoors outdoors or vice versa. The temperature was in the upper thirties at night but nestled in our comfy beds with gas heat and warm others you could not have a more pleasant sleep. The place is a real trip and I only wished we had planned to stay here first and not last on our trip to be better relaxed for the duration. JoAnn and her husband were the perfect hosts that made sure we were cared for our entire stay. For what you would pay in an Atlanta upscale Hotel you can Glamp in Ellijay in a style that is worlds better.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rogersober
Reviewed 17 December 2013

i cannot say enough wonderful things about JoAnn, Rick and the Martyn House. We held our wedding there last fall and it was fabulous. JoAnn had every detail thought out, and had many options for us to consider while also allowing us to give our input. She is vey flexible, yet knows all that needs to go in to the planning.

We flew up to visit the property and just two months later, we were cebrating! I couldn't believe that JoAnn could accommodate us on such short notice. I hope no one else throws a wedding at her with such short notice, but she handled it like the pro she is!

The food was fantastic both nights (rehearsal and wedding). JoAnn helped us to find a local band and they were wonderful! There was a little cold snap before we arrived, so the flowers JoAnn was planning to use had suffered - you wouldn't have known it!! She pulled the most beautiful flowers out of somewhere :) She also arranged a local massage therapist for an on-site visit and she was out of this world!

We had a very short timeline to get all of this done, and JoAnn did 90% of the work. Worth every cent! One bit of advice - you'll be responsible for supplying your own wine, etc. I wasn't familiar with the area and ran a bit short of time on that. If quality wine is important to you, plan ahead. I'm sure there may be places in Blue Ridge to shop for it, I just couldn't seek it out. Oh well, no one remembers that we drank some Barefoot. They all remember how magical and beautiful it all was though!

JoAnn - thank you for the beautiful gift. We have a precious photo of our gang hanging proudly in our home! We can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This past weekend my mother and I stayed at The Martyn House for a mother/daughter weekend getaway. The "tents" are perfect for two. There is a large front porch for you to sit and enjoy the beautiful views. It was quite a cold weekend during our stay, but we were kept warm under the luxurious sheets and comforters that Joann had on the beds. The food was delicious and plentiful. My favorites at the Martyn House were of course my buddies - Hank, Maya and Grace. Each time I walked the trail around the property they joined me and I wouldn't have done it without them! They made sure I was within their sight the entire time! I also absolutely loved "Grace's Pond" and "the porch". This is a secluded area where Joann and Rick have constructed a "porch" that is complete with couches and chairs for you to sit. It is off in the distance so you are able to experience quite a bit of peace and tranquility there if you so choose. I chose to go down each morning (with Hank of course) and read my book and have some quiet time. I miss The Martyn House already and cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I received a gift certificate as an anniversary gift, and I'll admit that I had doubts. If you're going to sleep on a fantastic bed and eat fantastic foo and enjoy peace and quiet, why not just go to a hotel? Answer: because this is so much cooler. And cozier. We went midweek and had the entire place to ourselves- we sat in front of the fire and listened to music late into the night, ate amazing breakfasts, and snuggled with Hank the Golden Retriever puppy. I took a midnight shower in the amazing outdoor bathroom and bought one of Rick's beautiful photography prints.

Note- if you are looking for a 5 star hotel, this is 5 star but not a hotel. It's a tent. There was a moth and there are composting toilets. And a rooster did crow at 6:00 AM both mornings. Also, Elijay doesn't have much going on during the week. Plan to eat at Martyn or drive to Blue Ridge. But it was lovely, peaceful, and just enough nature.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellijay
Best Western Mountain View Inn
Comfort Inn & Suites Blue Ridge
Seventy-four Ranch
Seventy-four Ranch
#2 of 4 in Jasper

Been to The Martyn House? Share your experiences!