“Pretty average restaurant, but a pleasant visit”

Armadale Castle, Gardens & Museum of the Isles
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Private Full Day Tour of Skye and Lochalsh from...
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Armadale
More attraction details
Owner description: Clan Donald Skye, the magnificent 20,000 acre estate in south Skye, operated by the Clan Donald Lands Trust. Here you can enjoy an outstanding holiday experience in our self-catering lodges, explore the historic gardens and woodland trails around Armadale Castle, and learn about highland history in our fascinating Museum of the Isles.Visit us Visit our stunning historical Highland estate on Sleat, on the southern tip of the magical Isle of Skye. Wander through our historic gardens set around the imposing ruins of Armadale Castle, home of Clan Donald in the Isle of Skye. Explore our 40 acres of beautiful woodland walks. Learn about Highland history in our fascinating Museum of the Isles. Enjoy spectacular views over the sea to the majestic mountains of Knoydart. A day visit might not be enough.
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I spent a Saturday on Skye in late April and found almost all the cafes and groceries and farm shops to be shut when I needed lunch. The Clan Donald Castle restaurant was my only choice in the Armadale area. As I walked into an almost deserted restaurant made to look like a baronial hall I wondered where I had come across the ambience before. Then it clicked. Coach tours. This is a cafe set up to cater for lots of people quickly. The extremely non-Scottish serving staff (Polish I think) were charming, but the quality of the food was very average. However the toilets were clean and there was a good stall outside selling interesting plants. I did not see the rest of the castle and gardens as they were shut too.

All reviews
in 33 reviews
in 19 reviews
in 27 reviews

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Easy access, spaces to run, wonderful views, beautiful gardens, activities for older kids, friendly staff, fantastic play area. Easily a good half day of running about.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Visited Armadale in 2002 on an unplanned MacDonald trail. So proud of my family history after this holiday but sad to see the castle was just a shell. However, privileged to be able to walk all around it. This was before the visitor centre/museum was developed so I think we were lucky. I'd love to see the castle rebuilt to its former glory to show visitors like me what it was really like all those years ago, so we can all feel the atmosphere of the days before the MacDonalds lost everything.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

On the Island of Skye stands the remains of the Clan Donald's Armadale Castle, one of many inhabited by the MacDonald clan Chieftains. There is much charm in the remain of the castle, but the grounds are amazing with terraced plantings and some of the strangest trees I have seen. The museum at the back of the property gives a concise history of the Cland Donald.

Well worh the time if you have ny Macdonald blood coursing in your veins.

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My wife & I visited the Castle to do some family research. The Librarian/researcher was really friendly and immensely helpful - thank you! Sadly, the same can't be said for the staff & the food in the restaurant, which lets down badly the castle, grounds and research centre. There was very little food available, it wasn't delivered as ordered, and there was very little that was gluten-free - the staff didn't know that the Scotch Broth wasn't gluten-free despite having assured us that it was - we had to point out the pieces of barley to them!

1  Thank DavidKH