“Great Stay - Great People”

Saint George Hotel & Rooms
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Nea Styra
Athens, Greece
“Great Stay - Great People”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

WOW!! all I can say is that if you are planning to go to N. Styra that is the place to stay. The studios are spacious and clean. The kitchenette fully equipped, so if you are travelling with small children it’s definitely a plus!!! The owners are great people that are on top of things. They are very helpful to assist in anything requested and always with a smile on their face. Ms Theodora makes you feel that you are at home!!
The beach close to the hotel is ideal for people that do not like crowded beaches with loud music, chairs, etc. We were all alone in a sandy beach with clean waters, you could even hear the wind. It was GREAT. My 4 year old son also enjoyed it very much because the water was not very deep.
I will be returning next summer and hope that things have not changed. Well I do get emails with weekend events offered by St. George … so maybe I will see them even sooner.

Room Tip: 1st Floor rooms with a view to the ocean
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Belous

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Greek first
GREECE&CYPRUS
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,949 helpful votes
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I happened to be at Styra these days and I was searching for a place to stay overnight. Some friends recommended this hotel but because it is a new one I could rely only on my friends’ positive comments. To be honest, the first thing I did was to search for reviews but I found none since it has only recently joined TripAdvisor. I then searched other links to find reviews before making a booking and I was glad to find that it is rated 9.8, so I thought why not! I booked to give it a try and perhaps be the very first to comment on it, on TripAdvisor.

LOCATION: A couple of km from the port of Nea Styra on a slope overlooking the Gulf of Evia. Ferries connect Agia Marina with Evia and they are frequent. (Check timetables). I recommend that you have a car along to explore the southern part of the island but if not still the hotel is ideal for relaxing holidays and the taxi from the harbour or the bus station, does not cost much to drive you here.

THE BUILDING: (A new and beautiful structure). Three independent buildings on an amphitheatrical enclosure stand out and beautify the area viewing the sea. The entire forefront made of cobble stone so nicely designed! A nice terrace just outside the small dining room –ideal for summer breakfasts and leisure moments of relaxation. Colourful gardens, blue-grass on one side with two children’s swings and a nice cozy interior of the bar of the hotel that is opening its doors within the coming days. The reception area is nicely furnished and decorated, while the walls have photos and posters of interesting spots of southern Evia.

ARRIVAL: Wow! What a hearty welcome I had, and it was not long when I felt as if I knew the owners for years. I carried my handbag to my room but I was asked to return for a cup of coffee. From the very first moments I felt a congenial climate and felt that I had friends around.

STAFF: Staff are the owners themselves at this moment and they are doing an exceptional job! They are loveable, warm and you will instantly feel it from the first minutes of chatting with them. The hotel is made with much passion and love with the aim to make guests feel at home. Owners might not be that professional at this instance but their passion will make them such very soon. In fact they exceed by far other hoteliers I have come across who are running their businesses for years. I found them knowledgeable of the area and with their guidance try not to miss the ‘must see’ spots that they recommend. The famous Gorge of Dimosari is very near Styra and an excursion/walk is being arranged out there towards the end of this month. You will find me there because I would not want to miss it for anything. I have walked the gorge some years back and I am ready to do it again so I have already made my booking.

ROOM: The room I had was spacious, functional and spotlessly clean. I would call it a Greek islands’ interior, -contemporary style, white ceilings, clean linens, and cobblestoned floor (petra karystou) create an open, airy vibe. Open-built wardrobe shelves, and very handy kitchenette facilities. The bed is built and stands on a higher level giving the impression that it separates the bedroom from the sitting room. The corner (sofa/bed) serves a dual purpose. There is a small square wooden table in the centre of the room surrounded by 4 chairs, a dressing table and mirror and a small TV. set on a stand higher up on the wall.
The balcony overlooks the beautiful gardens and the sea. There is a small rotunda iron table and chairs outside the room’s balcony, but also an airer to dry clothes.

BATHROOM: Not particularly big but functional. I loved the shell decoration at the base of the shower cabin. Shower foam bath/shampoo (two in one) a vanity pack and a plastic cap are provided but don’t expect to find slippers or robes. The toiletries are the Salvini cosmetic brand, and the washstand is made of authentic local marble.

BREAKFAST: Continental breakfast with homemade jams and crisps is included. Many guests however prefer to prepare their own breakfast since the room provides kitchenette but those who want breakfast it is included in the price.

WI FI: Wi fi connection is provided for free.

STUDIO APARTMENTS: There are a few Studio Apartments that are given for a yearly or shorter stay. They are fully furnished, simple décor but quite cozy.

BEACH: Shallow sandy beach ideal for small children, with some seaweed here and there. The beach is just a five minute walk with only 3 or 4 plastic chairs and two umbrellas at the moment, but more chairs and deck beds for guests are to be provided within the coming days.

TIP: Don’t expect luxury or glamour here. If you do, try somewhere else. What to expect is impeccable service, functional accommodation, and amazing sunset views! In other words, unique conditions for relaxing holidays to be cherished for years. I am sure you will long to be back like me.

EXPLORING THE ROUND AREA: Get full information from the owners before you set off to explore the area. Beautiful photos and posters decorate the walls of the reception and you will be amazed with the beauty of southern Evia. Count in a visit to the famous ‘Drakospita’, or arrange to come with friends and have a walk to the Dimosari gorge, or pick the beach of your preference out of the many found that are within short distance.

CONCLUSION: In all, I highly recommend this hotel for all the above reasons. I will be back by the end of the month to walk the Dimosari gorge along with the rest of the guests who will be at the hotel.

Thank you guys for making me feel like at home.
Keep up the good work. See you again soon.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Marmari Bay Hotel
Marmari Bay Hotel
#3 of 5 in Marmari
Anastasia Hotel Karystos

Been to Saint George Hotel & Rooms? Share your experiences!