“Absolutely fantastic!”
Review of Durker Roods Hotel

Durker Roods Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meltham
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed the bank holiday weekend, for 3nights, we had a wonderful time, the rooms were cleaned everyday and fresh towels and tea and coffee replaced. The staff were very friendly and made you feel welcome, one particular barman was really nice, he went out of his way to make to help you.
I'd stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013
Pauline H, Manager at Durker Roods Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, your feedback is important to us. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

My husband and myself wanted to get away to the countryside, so West Yorkshire sounded ideal. The hotel is in a beautiful setting and the building itself is old with traditional features. We had booked a bed and breakfast deal and both mornings the food was fresh and tasty. The first night we decided to eat at the hotel and the selection on the menu was good and the dishes were well presented and delicious. We particularly liked "The baked brie starter for two" . Lovely.
We also had a few drinks in the Hotel pub which was very pleasant and the staff were attentive and friendly. We were in Room No 2 which is just above the Main entrance so it was a bit stuffy but the room was clean and the beds were comfortable and there was plenty of hot water.
On the Saturday night we had been warned that there was a Wedding on so it could get a bit rowdy and busy. Which it did.
We ate out in the local village at a place called "The Pink Elephant" which serves Persian/Indian fusion food which we can highly recommend. When we returned to the Hotel later on, the Party was in full swing and quite noisy so we retired early.
The Party did go on until about two the next morning but we managed to get some sleep anyway.
But if you wanted a more peaceful weekend away then I would recommend to check ahead before you book to make sure there are no events being held as it changes the atmosphere.
Besides that we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had been booked into Room 2 which is just above the Main entrance so one does get a bit of noise...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments. I will pass the comments on to our chefs regarding the food. Many apologies for the noise from the wedding party, we do try to keep wedding guests in the Function room for the evening do but sometimes it proves a difficult task.
We hope to see you here again soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We arrived on Friday for our weekend stay to be met by a young male receptionist who merely confirmed my name and gave me our room card. No smile, welcome or information regarding breakfast. Into out room, which was clean and spacious to find a half-drunk bottle of water in the closet and an empty cider can just under the bed. later in the day, the wobbly glass bathroom shelf gave up the ghost under the weight of a single toothbrush and crashed down into the sink. if it had reached the floor and my bare feet I dread to think of the consequences.
In the bar in the evening, I could not get served without physically going to reception and interrupting their socialising with the barmaids to ask for some service. Our bar meal was fine until the waitress brought our bottle of bubbly, which was warm, and only placed in a bucket of water with seven ice cubes. I mentioned this to the other waitress on duty, who said she would find out what went wrong, but we never saw her again, despite spending another hour in the bar.
The next day our room was cleaned, but tea/coffee not replenished. Asked reception to sort that out at 5pm, and by 11pm it still had not been done.
I could go on, but it was a catalogue of disasters. This hotel is run by very young, well-meaning amateurs. I would exclude the chef who turns out some nice, reasonably priced food.
A reduction was made to my bill, which I did not ask for, but I would rather the weekend was less comedic and pay the full price. By the way, we are very easy going, and not serial whingers - I have never written a negative review on here before,

2  Thank Hantstraveller051

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our Hotel. I am terribly sorry that the service you received during your trip was below standard. I assure you that this is not our usual level of service and your comments will be addressed with the staff immediately.

Food and service are usually of a high standard with friendly staff who are very accommodating and professional. I can only apologise for the lack of care or attention shown to you during your stay. If you wish to discuss this with me directly please do not hesitate to call me on 01484 851413.

I am glad you enjoyed your food and will be sure to pass this onto the chefs!

Kind regards,

Fiona

Reviewed 19 August 2013

The Drink, Eat, Retreat package is excellent value! We have just stayed for one evening over the weekend and enjoyed well cooked, presented food with a good choice on offer. Ate in the David Brown Bar, due to a private party in the restaurant, which has a relaxed comfortable atmosphere with friendly staff on hand. Room 8 is extremely roomy with a large bathroom and overlooks the well maintained gardens. Would definitely stay again when walking on Saddleworth Moor as only a ten minute drive away. Would even consider booking this to stay at when shopping in Manchester. A good find!

Room Tip: Room 8 - good size bedroom and bathroom with four poster on the first floor. Good garden views.
1  Thank ALISON E

Thank you for your kind comments. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and are happy to hear you rated the Drink, Eat, Retreat package so highly. I will pass
We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

The hotel was the former home of the David Brown family (of tractors fame0 and is now an hotel and restaurant.

Our party called in for lunch from the Early Birds Menu (£8.95) for two courses. The food was freshly cooked and well presented. The table and bar service was of the highest standard.

The starters and main courses were both substantial and very well cooked.

On a value for money I would give this restaurant full marks and will certainly call back again

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MirfieldOllie

Thank you for taking the time to review your meal with us. Thank you for your kind comments, we appreciate the positive feedback.

I will pass these comments onto the Chef and Staff, we try our hardest to deliver the service and quality our customers deserve. We hope you will call in again soon!

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Stayed here recently for a friends wedding and whilst the grounds and exterior of the hotel are quite beautiful, the interior is seriously in need of some care. I travel a lot and have stayed in all kinds of hotels and was quite upset that this beautiful house has been left a bit neglected. We had travelled 5 hours to get here and did not get a very warm welcome at all, the lady at the reception, when she finally emerged, was very young and lacked any kind of enthusiasm at all. We wasn't told the basic information like breakfast and check out times, I think some hospitality training is in order! I had to ask other guests for the information. The room decor was cold and lacked any kind of attention although clean, a few warm furnishings would give this place a warmer feel, it really doesn't need a lot. Walls had huge dents in them as if someone had punched the wall!!
My shower didn't work and had to resort to running a little bath and as I was pushed for time wasn't impressed but I did not want to make a fuss as it was my friends wedding. I did inform them for future guests.
The actual wedding was superb, very well organised and the hog roast was first class. The waiting staff were friendly and did all they could. Breakfast was good. When we checked out we got a slightly better response but again, no request for feed back or if we enjoyed our stay, this is a small thing but I think is quite important. This house has a great marketing point with it once being the home of entrepreneur Sir David Brown. Somebody please give this place a little love.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank ShellieBoreiko

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us recently. I am glad you enjoyed the wedding, which incidentally was ran and organised by the same lady that checked you in.

Unfortunately, at check in she thought you had heard the breakfast & check out times etc at the same time as the couple before you, as there was a large group who arrived together. I apologise if you had not, it is normal practice to greet people with this at check in.

We receive a lot of praise as to the upkeep of the building, in particular the communal areas but of course can't cater to everyone's taste. Being a 2-3* hotel we offer good value for money, especially when attending a function, and aim to provide clean and functional accommodation in a beautiful building and grounds. Any problems, if and when reported are dealt with as soon as possible with as little disruption to guests as possible. Please do not hesitate to address them with the Manager on duty in future as we want you to have a pleasant a stay as possible. I hope to see you again soon!

Kind regards,

Management

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed in room 6. No wifi in that room. Wifi works in the hall, but no signal in that room. We were left with one set of towels for three people. The staff corrected by bringing extra towels. We did not have enough hot water for three showers. Restaurant for dinner was very good. Breakfast was reasonable. Walked into town to the convenience store, short walk.
All said, we would consider again. If you expect basic accommodations in a small town, this will work.
If you are looking for an old English manor with period furnishings in a country setting, you may be disappointed.

No AC. Temp was warm till around 10pm, wasn't a problem for sleeping but if you happen to visit on a really warm day you will be toasty.

Probably the quietest night in decades. Windows open, silence, awakened to the birds chirping.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank waxrash

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you had a peaceful night's sleep and enjoyed your stay with us recently. It is a great place for country walks and a rest from busy schedules.

I will look into fixing the WI-FI in this room as it has previously reached.

Hope to see you again soon!

Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Meltham
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield
Cedar Court Hotel Huddersfield/Halifax
The Tower House Hotel
The Tower House Hotel
#8 of 10 in Halifax

Been to Durker Roods Hotel? Share your experiences!