“can I move in”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meltham
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“can I move in”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed on new years eve. I read other reviews before our stay and was dreading it. What a fantastic place. We were greeted with a warm welcome!!! It was very busy, so unfortunately we could only get a standard room. The tv wasn't fantastic, but so what. We didn't go to watch tv. It was a pleasure to stay in such an amazing place. Brilliant staff. We're going to book for an event night. Would like a different room tho, as were in the eves literally, and had no view as it was a skylight. Breakfast was fab and the lady serving I wanted to take home. Thanks and see you soon(I hope).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Pauline H, Manager at Durker Roods Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for such a lovely review! I will pass your comments on to Barbara (our breakfast lady!)
I'm so pleased you enjoy the hotel as much as we do! Feel free to come again any time, it's a pleasure to you!
Regards,
Fiona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I have seen reviews that state this building is stunning....Correct

I have seen reviews that state the staff are pleasant...more than correct

I have seen reviews that state the rooms are dated...so-so, rooms are not unpleasant, however, a 15inch tv isn't adequate, the lighting isn't brilliant...however clean none the less.

food.... I had the burger, very very nice, prices are brilliant..the coleslaw...disgusting. really no point it being on the plate. however the burger and fries that nice u don't feel that bad chucking the slaw on the floor..(joke)

on the whole I would say for the price certainly punching above its weight, however I haven't had brekkie yet so my next review might completely change this.... but like I said, More good than bad, I would stay here again!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Chris C
Thank you for your review. We get a lot of praise about the quality of food and the value too is indeed exceptional! It's all home-made and fresh, so it is well received.
We have just refurbished a few more of the bedrooms, which is an ongoing process and I'm sure you can appreciate with offering such good value in the hotel, it is difficult to offer 5* accommodation as much as we would like to!
Thank you again for your comments and I hope to see you again,
Regards,
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Stunning building with beautiful grounds and plenty of parking. Breakfast good and staff pleasant. But the stay was spoilt for us by the quality of the room, needs complete refurbishing with nothing in there at the moment worth salvage. Lighting completely inadequate, water pressure of shower very poor along with no anti-slip provision in bath, and a lack of both decent toiletries and a hairdryer. Could be a very good hotel with a bit of attention.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments.

I appreciate that you are looking for a 4* plus hotel and accommodation, however, whilst our food and communal bar and restaurant etc is up to standard our bedrooms are not and we do not sell them as such. We offer excellent value for money in a beautiful building and a great part of the world. Whilst we would love to completely refurbish the bedrooms, this isn't feasible whilst charging such low rates and I'm sure you can appreciate that.

We have invested a lot of money into the bedrooms and other areas and this is continuous, however, it will be a while before we can offer you the luxury that you are looking for. For example we have, in the last few weeks, started a scheme of refurbishment in the rooms in the extension to the building which will continue for a few months. From a business point of view you will know that it wouldn't be wise to over-spend and thus we must be cautious in these difficult times.

I'm sure that if you revisit us shortly, you will notice great improvements throughout.

Many thanks again for your comments,

Regards
Fiona

Travellers are raving about these Meltham hotels

North Yorkshire
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stayed one night. Pleasant stay with adequate facilities in a fairly basic room. However, the fantastic food made up for this. The mushroom starter and sea bream main course was delicious. Would highly recommend eating in the restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank supanove
Pauline H, Manager at Durker Roods Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for your review.

I'm pleased you enjoyed the restaurant food. We are soon to update the menu so if you would like to try our new menu please pop in again!

The rooms in the hotel vary in style from traditional in the main house to more modern and cosy in the extension. We have recently renovated a few more in the extension to a higher standard but this is an ongoing process. I'm sure you can appreciate that with such good value in all areas of our hotel from food, accommodation and weddings etc that it is very difficult to put a lot of money into rooms at one time. We have also recently renovated our restaurant, please look on our new website in a couple of weeks to view the images or try our Facebook page Durker Roods Hotel.

Thanks,
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

On arrival we were eventually greeted cheerfully by the female receptionist. The room I was given was not the superior double I requested. The room was very cold and I had to ask for the heating to be put on. The room furniture looked very tired with a stained chair (Room 28) looked less than inviting. The room was a good size and bedding was clean. A superior room was offered but I was told it was in the same part of the hotel but "smaller just with more things!" I declined the offer and we agreed the bill would be reduced accordingly. At breakfast the two serving staff struggled to meet the demands of a busy hotel. We were not seated and menus were not available on the tables. Orange juice was finished and after asking for it to be replenished we waited a further 10 minutes. The staff were very apologetic but over stretched. Toast arrived.....burnt! I was told they only had a small toaster!! Having met someone from the local area the night before who told me "not to miss the breakfast" I was disappointed with what was presented before me. I counted the number of beans on my plate (I have never felt the need to do this before but the quantity looked so small) I had been served 26 beans. We complained to the receptionist/duty manager who politely listened to our points and noted them down. He was very apologetic on behalf of the Hotel. My bill was reduced from £105 to £50 for which I was grateful but really the overall experience was only worth that amount. The Hotel needs a good shake up. Decor is tired and the rooms need modernised (I can only imagine the others to be in the same condition.) The only positive aspect were the staff who worked hard but were fighting a losing battle. This place has so much potential but it needs investment. Despite reading lots of good comments in the visitors book I would not contemplate using this hotel again...Sorry!

Room Tip: Use another Hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David B
Hello and thank you for your comments. I'm so sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us. You will be pleased to know that we have listened to your comments and have taken them on board. After counting out 26 beans myself, you are quite right that this was inadequate. Being from Yorkshire we like good portions and good value and on this occasion it seems you were shorted. I can only apologise for this.

We have since renovated several of the bedrooms at the hotel, however, when charging just £50 for a room for 2 people with breakfast, there is no extra money there to reinvest into the rooms after all the other outgoings which I'm sure you can appreciate are very high in a building this age and size.

I hope you will consider us again in the future, if not to stay then for dinner!

Kind regards,
Manchester, England
Reviewed 27 September 2013

A big thank you to Helen and the rest of the staff at Durker Roods. Helen was our wedding planner and she was very accommodating. She was busy trying to make everything seamless and it was great to have that confidence in her.
The wedding and reception went without a hitch. They took on board the tiniest of details, like the timings for ceremony music and such.
The food was lovely and everyone enjoyed it. I'd say if you were to compare to a normal restaurant's prices, you'd pay about £40 a head for three courses. It was yummy!
The 'package DJ' for the wedding did a great job and again was very accommodating.
If you're thinking of marrying here, believe me that it's a really nice choice. There's great photo locations inside and out if you're not after anything too, lavish, shall we say? The gardens are beautiful but not grande, if you follow.
I can personally suggest an afternoon wedding, as it fits nicely for the evening (we married at 4 and were on the evening do by 8 without it feeling rushed at all).
Overall, you'll find they take care of you very well, things go smoothly and the guests love the whole thing :-)

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite was lovely, though in our opinion the bathroom needed a revamp. For a standard r...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alexshaw
Thank you for your kind comments. I'm so pleased you had a fantastic day and that Helen took good care of you throughout.
Please come back to celebrate your anniversary too!
Many thanks,
Proud to be British
Reviewed 12 September 2013

It is the little things that spoilt this hotel for me and friends that were also staying at the time. In the main it was fine, my room clean and comfortable, reasonably priced and good quality food, amenities very good, bar prices were also reasonable.
The staff were polite, friendly and helpful, most of them seemed very young and I do not mean that in a derogatory way, but they did not exhibit professionalism. The reception and bar on a number of occasions were left unattended, I informed reception that the glass shelf above the sink in my bathroom was at such an angle that it was impossible to put anything on it, I had to tell them again when I left. Both myself and a friend asked for a call at 0800 one morning and did not get one, another friend asked for a non slip shower mat to be placed in his room in the morning and had to ask again in the evening. These combined with - bad lighting in rooms, poor quality toiletries, tea/coffee supplies not replenished in the morning and other smaller things spoil what could be an excellent hotel situated in an excellent location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Hello and thank you for your review.
I'm very sorry that these small things were over looked during your stay. I can understand your disappointment when we do so many things so well and these things let it down you felt. We have since increased staffing levels to give a better service to customers and staff training is ongoing to strive to improve all round.
If you would like to discuss anything with me directly please do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards
Fiona
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meltham
Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel
#4 of 17 in Huddersfield
Briar Court Hotel
Briar Court Hotel
#11 of 17 in Huddersfield

Been to Durker Roods Hotel? Share your experiences!