“A wonderful place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clonegal Accommodation

Clonegal Accommodation
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clonegal
Clonegal Accommodation
Cork, Ireland
“A wonderful place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

A short distance outside of Clonegal. One of the nicest places I have ever stayed, not only for the comfort and ambience but also for the hospitality of Sheila Kirwan and the value. I stayed here after completing the Wicklow Way in october 2012. It was the perfect end to an incredible journey. A small stone cottage which from the outside is very deceptive. It might be a nice place to pass a night or to spend a year. Once you enter the house is as charming as you would expect. When I passed through I was unfortunately alone. Wood burning stove and fantastic kitchen made me feel at home and I could imagine hosting a dinner party for a group of friends, a fellow backpacker or a intimate acquaintance. Clean and tidy, beds very comfortable, hot shower, living room space delightful. Will definitely return to Clonegal for a few nights. There are a few historical sites in the area, so there's plenty to do. Sheila has information on what,s happening and there's plenty of brochures available for local attractions. Hiking and hill walking around Clonegal is relatively easy and it is said that it is easier to begin the Wicklow Way in Clonegal as the terrain is not as steep as from the Dublin side A point to note is that the Wicklow Way either begins or ends in Clonegal. I arrived in Clonegal finishing the Wicklow Way. If you don't wish to hike the last little stretch from Clonegal to the house you can contact Sheila and she will collect you in the village.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

Had a lovely time here with Joe & Sheila. We arrived in clonegal, pretty exhausted having completed the wicklow way. It was 8pm on a cold night in january and everything was closed. They opened up their hostel especially for us, not only that, they opened up their home to us too. We had such a nice evening chatting with them in their kitchen and drying our clothes by the stove, we even got hot water bottles!! The hostel itself is a magnificent stone building, very quaint, lovingly restored and very cosy. They also have an orchard, a pony and free range hens, huntington castle and gardens is on their doorstep is well worth a visit. Thank you Joe and Sheila for a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: stay two nights if you can. visit huntington castle and gardens and maybe climb mount Leinster.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Geseke, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

I travled to Ireland to walk the Wicklow Way but when I arrived in Clonegal I had a cold so it wasn't possible for me to do it anymore so I asked my hostes if I could stay for a little bit longer. I had luck so I could spent a wonderful week in this small cottage. Except one night I was the only guest for the whole time and I really enjoyed it. After I git better I did many beutiful walks around the village and alonge the hills. Every evenning the oven got lit, so I sat down in front of it and enjoyed a book and every morning I enjoyed the view through the kitchen window. Everything was very clean and comfy. The last point to mention is the family atmosphere. The hosts have been very friendly to me. They invited me into there home to watch tv with them and they gave me a ride to the next town. I don't know anything bad to say and next time I get to visit this beautiful country, I'll visit this hostel again

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

We were so lucky to find this wonderful cottage for a long weekend.
I cannot recommend enough the beauty of the cottage along with the surrounding village and landscape. We used the cottage for some local walks in the area however I now know the cottage is at the beginning or end of the wicklow way depending on which direction you walk in.
Our room was very clean, included towels, and we arrived to a happily lit stove in the kitchen.
Self service breakfast included cereal, porridge, bread, jams(made by the host) tea,coffee along with fresh apples from the orchard at the bottom of the field. For two of the nights we had the whole cottage to ourselves. (very romantic)
The village is a 10 minute walk away and includes 3 corner shops, 2 pubs and an excellent restaurant at the bottom of the village for those wanting to eat out.
The owners were very kind to us both with local information and recommendations, they also offer a transfers to and from local buses for those on public transport.
There is no wifi in the cottage, we enjoyed the tranquility and the honest library in the cottage. Very good 3G network in the area if required.
We would 100% recommend the cottage,
We feel this B+B is more like a boutique hotel as the privacy, attention to detail and beauty of the building is a real gem.Your in for a treat.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SE1Londonwalker

Been to Clonegal Accommodation? Share your experiences!