“Not the place to go on the weekends, especially if it's a special occasion”
Review of Grits Cafe

Grits Cafe
Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Forsyth
Price range: US$10 - US$38
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Macon, Georgia
“Not the place to go on the weekends, especially if it's a special occasion”
Reviewed 12 February 2011

I have been to Grit's 3-5 times a month for the past 7-8 years...the food is wonderful and rivals many higher end restaurants in the Macon area WITH ONE EXCEPTION. Grit's doesn't do a great job with a packed house. My family and I went for Valentine's day...5:30 reservations on a Saturday night. The apps came out promptly as did the salads...within 40 minutes my son's chicken finger entrees were in front of them...BUT this night was about my wife...30 minutes later neither she nor I had our entrees. People that had arrived much later than we did were enjoying their meals...This has happened sporadically over the years at Grit's. For the price of each meal (the kid's meal is $5.75, the sweet tea is $2.49, and entrees range from $20-$40) the patience one has for foul-ups like this is thin. We notified our waitress of our desire to leave and she promptly brought us our check...with a gift certificate(as if we'd consider coming here again any time soon). Most small restaurants would send out the owner/chef etc to at least apologize, but not this one. What a shame. Try Grit's for lunch or try it for dinner Tuesday - Thursday, but try it on the weekend and it's going to be the flip of a coin whether you get fed or fed up.

• Visited February 2011
1 Thank Maconmerlyn

florida
“Get the Grits Martini - and it isn't a drink”
Reviewed 14 January 2011

The Grits Martini is an appetizer served in a martini glass. It has creamy grits with bacon and shrimp with a shitake mushroom cream sauce..............the fried green tomatoes with a remoulade sauce was also awesome.

We had the Runaway special of the day - a soup and sandwich combo that changes daily. Today it was a chicken vegetable noodle soup with homemade noodles served with a meatloaf sandwich crusted with blue cheese served open-faced style on a crusty fresh baguette and covered with homemade onion crisps that were carmelized just right.

Our server was very friendly and the service was very good.

Even with the current construction going on outside, the atmosphere was old, small-town building with a touch of Southern grace. The paintings hanging on the wall added nice color to the insides; however the 1970's drop ceiling should be replaced with something more authentic to the character of the building

• Visited January 2011
Barnesville, Georgia
“Maybe the best meal I've ever had.”
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I live less than 20 miles from this place and had never been there until tonight. I don't know what I expected, but what I got was way more. I'm kicking myself for missing out on all the great meals I could have had. The food is amazing. The combinations of ingredients are innovative. The atmosphere is charming and relaxed. Definitely worth stopping for if you have a little time and want to spend it enjoying an incredible meal.

Florida
“Worldclass restaurant in a quaint town just off the interstate”
Reviewed 7 July 2010

If you're looking for a FANTASTIC restaurant while driving north or south be sure to take the two minute detour to the Grits Cafe.

GOOD
-- Fantastic, creative food with an excellent presentation.
-- It's Southern fusion -- Southern food with a twist.
-- Food is full of flavors.
-- It's across the street from a historic building in a renovated downtown building. You'll feel like you're stepping back into time but with forward thinking cuisine.
-- The interior is creative but still blends with the historic decor.
-- Service is good and not pretentious.

BAD
-- Two minute drive off the interstate.

UGLY
-- None. This is a place worth traveling long distances.

TIP
-- If you're driving, be sure to wait for this place. And be sure to make reservations in case it's full.
-- And save room for desserts.

Enfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Went there with my family, who were vacatioining from the UK, with our local (Smarr) friends who had been kind enough to let us stay with them, as a thank you. The food and ambience were excellent. The prices are higher than the chain eateries bit the food was incomparable with them. If it is still on the wine list, order the Rioja. I havre paid more for that in a supermarket in Spain! Grits is a middle Georgia gem. The locals are very lucky having such an establisment in their area!

Been to Grits Cafe? Share your experiences!